Blazers 2022-2023 Thread

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: Blazers 2022-2023 Thread

Post by buckmarkduck »

Duck07 wrote:
Boom wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:It's tough, because the FOMO over Scoot could just as easily result in watching Dame go someplace else and winning a title or two with a roster that isn't massively flawed.
Who are you trading #3 for that's going to turn the team into a contender?
Conversely, are you really going to trade Dame if Scoot isn't available and the team takes Brandon Miller? Or is taking the next best PG in Amen Thompson the route at #3?

IF there's a 3-way deal that nets the Blazers OG for essentially Ant+23, a starting lineup of Dame/Thybulle/OG/Grant/Nurk with a bench of FA PG/Sharpe/Miller/Watford/FA Center, that seems like the best package you could put around Dame that also plays the long-game with Sharpe/Miller in the scenario where Scoot goes #2.

I like Miller a lot. If he’s at 3, you keep Dame and take Miller. And hope Dame is ok with having a couple young studs on the roster.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

Miller is my preference as well.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Miller would make things way too easy. I don't see how Charlotte doesn't take him with the no.2 pick.

I actually didn't realize what a bad 3-pt shooter Henderson was until today. Knowing that, I honestly don't understand why so many people want to dump Dame and take Scoot instead. Seems like a bonehead tradeoff given how heavily the league has shifted toward outside shooting.

We're also now seeing the advent of the "Westbrook Defense" in which teams will just lay off of bad three-point shooters, effectively giving you a free interior defender. I don't see the point in having a guard who can't shoot.

Not saying he couldn't work, but that 27% 3-pt shooting is a massive flaw.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

pezsez1 wrote:I actually didn't realize what a bad 3-pt shooter Henderson was until today.

Keep in mind that was a really small sample size and he’s only 19.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

pezsez1 wrote:Miller would make things way too easy. I don't see how Charlotte doesn't take him with the no.2 pick.

I actually didn't realize what a bad 3-pt shooter Henderson was until today. Knowing that, I honestly don't understand why so many people want to dump Dame and take Scoot instead. Seems like a bonehead tradeoff given how heavily the league has shifted toward outside shooting.

We're also now seeing the advent of the "Westbrook Defense" in which teams will just lay off of bad three-point shooters, effectively giving you a free interior defender. I don't see the point in having a guard who can't shoot.

The knock on Miller is that he's great against sub standards opponents, but disappears against tougher opponents. One could assume he would struggle against NBA talent if that's the case.

Looking just at the stat sheets, it does look like he struggled big time against better teams. He was nearly a non factor during the tournament.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Looking just at the stat sheets, it does look like he struggled big time against better teams. He was nearly a non factor during the tournament.
Definitely a concern, but I know part of that tournament run was clouded by his "involvement" in that murder, and I'm sure that got to him.

(I'm also well aware that he had virtually nothing to do with it and the initial reaction from pundits was completely overblown.)
Willie Taggart is a dick.