Ducks, Huskies and Beavers?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Ducks, Huskies and Beavers?

Post by Alan »

I heard on Conzano yesterday with a Duck win tomorrow at ASU the clinch a trip to Vegas? It does not seem that clear to me with the 2 loss Beavers still ahead for us and Washington facing the beavers in Corvallis then the apple cup. How does the math work? Does a win clinch Vegas for us? Have the Huskies clinched? Do they if they beat the Beavs? The Beavs win out are they in? Any help figuring out the scenario? Thanks
OG Duck
Two Star Recruit

Re: Ducks, Huskies and Beavers?

Post by OG Duck »

Assuming UO beats ASU and later UW beats WSU...

If OSU beats UW tomorrow, the winner of OSU@UO plays UW in Pac 12 title game.

Edit: holy smokes, I forgot about Arizona. Ignore everything I said. I'm too smooth brained to figure it out what happens if Arizona and OSU both win out. :lol:
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

OG Duck wrote:Assuming UO beats ASU and later UW beats WSU...

Edit: holy smokes, I forgot about Arizona. Ignore everything I said. I'm too smooth brained to figure it out what happens if Arizona and OSU both win out. :lol:
The PAC-12 championship tie-breaker is weird, if Oregon beats ASU and loses to OSU and if Zona wins out then Zona gets the tie-breaker and has a rematch against the Huskies. The following needs to happen this Sat to ensure a Ducks-Huskies rematch in Vegas:

Ducks beat ASU
Huskies beat Beavs
Utah beats Zona

Since Oregon and Zona hasn’t played there wouldn’t be a head to head tie-breaker, instead the next tie-breaker would be record against Pac-12 teams with higher winning %’s, in this case both would have beaten Huskies and Utah but Zona beat the Beavers while Ducks lost, so Zona would get the tie-breaker. If the PAC-12 was smart, they would’ve made it overall record which is lower in the tie-breaker rules. It Zona wins out and ducks lose to ASU then beat OSU, then I believe Ducks are in since they beat USC and Zona did not (assuming USC beats UCLA this Sat).

I could be wrong but I think that’s how things play out. Ducks just need to win.
Last edited by OregonFan4Life on Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
OG Duck wrote:Assuming UO beats ASU and later UW beats WSU...

The PAC-12 championship tie-breaker is weird, if Oregon beats Zona and loses to OSU and if Zona wins out then Zona gets the tie-breaker and has a rematch against the Huskies. The following needs to happen this Sat to ensure a Ducks-Huskies rematch in Vegas:

Ducks beat ASU
Huskies beat Beavs
Utah beats Zona

Since Oregon and Zona hasn’t played there wouldn’t be a head to head tie-breaker, instead the next tie-breaker would be record against Pac-12 teams with higher winning %’s, in this case both would have beaten Huskies and Utah but Zona beat the Beavers while Ducks lost, so Zona would get the tie-breaker. If the PAC-12 was smart, they would’ve made it overall record which is lower in the tie-breaker rules. It Zona wins out and ducks lose to ASU then beat OSU, then I believe Ducks are in since they beat USC and Zona did not (assuming USC beats UCLA this Sat).

I could be wrong but I think that’s how things play out. Ducks just need to win.
What? Oregon doesn’t play Arizona.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Everythingsducky wrote:
What? Oregon doesn’t play Arizona.
He clearly meant if Oregon beats ASU. Basically, in terms of getting into the Conference Championship game, it doesn't matter if Oregon beats ASU tomorrow and only the Beaver game matters. If Arizona and OSU win tomorrow, the Civil War is going to be a bigger game than it has been in years, and the Beavers will have the power to completely derail Oregon's season. Hope they both lose tomorrow.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Here are the top 4 teams in the Pac-12 as of this morning.

UW is in the championship game unless they lose both of their last two games.

Oregon is in if they beat ASU and OSU. But if they lose to OSU, OSU beats UW and Arizona beats Utah and ASU, that would create a 3 way tie for second between Arizona, OSU and Oregon. UA and Oregon didn't play this season. OSU would hold a head-to-head win over Oregon, while UA would hold it over OSU.

If I'm not mistaken, in this scenario, UA would play UW for the championship and the Ducks would drop to 4th in the conference based on tiebreakers.

Please feel free to chime in and point out any mistakes I may have made.

Washington Huskies (5) 7-0

Oregon Ducks (6) 6-1

Oregon State Beavers (11) 5-2

Arizona Wildcats (17) 5-2
John 3:36
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Arizona really taking it to Utah in the 1st quarter so it doesn't look like Oregon can lock up a Pac-12 CG spot this week.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Colorado and Utah let us down! Colorado really should’ve beaten Arizona last week and Utah didn’t show up today.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Colorado and Utah let us down! Colorado really should’ve beaten Arizona last week and Utah didn’t show up today.
Utah was missing 3 more starters on defense (including the leading sacker Ellis and their S/RB Vaki) so of course they laid an egg.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

greenyellow wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Colorado and Utah let us down! Colorado really should’ve beaten Arizona last week and Utah didn’t show up today.
Utah was missing 3 more starters on defense (including the leading sacker Ellis and their S/RB Vaki) so of course they laid an egg.
That makes sense, wish I was aware of that, then I might have picked Zona, not that it matters at this point.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

It all boils down to our Achilles’ heel. Being able to win out in November something we’ve have a hard time doing. Having said that, I fully expect us to beat the beavers and go to Las Vegas and beat Washington and will be in the playoffs. Yippee kye aye!!!

Go DUCKS!!!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

greenyellow wrote:

I don't see ASU beating UA.

I'm wondering how they own a tiebreaker over us if we both had 2 conference losses? We'd be ranked higher and still have a better overall record. Of course, here'd be no head to head since they didn't play.

Anyone care to explain?

Washington Huskies (5) 8-0 Overall 11-0
Oregon Ducks (6) 7-1 Overall 10-1
Arizona Wildcats (17) 6-2 Overall 8-3
Oregon State Beavers (11) 5-3 Overall 8-3
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

SuperDuck wrote:
greenyellow wrote:

I'm wondering how they own a tiebreaker over us if we both had 2 conference losses? We'd be ranked higher and still have a better overall record. Of course, here'd be no head to head since they didn't play.

Anyone care to explain?

The tiebreaker without a head-to-head is your record against the rest of the top of the conference, in order. We both lost to UW, next is Oregon State, whom they beat and we'd have lost to.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Tray Dub wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:
greenyellow wrote:

Anyone care to explain?

The tiebreaker without a head-to-head is your record against the rest of the top of the conference, in order. We both lost to UW, next is Oregon State, whom they beat and we'd have lost to.
I see. Thanks.