Dan Lanning top name for Texas A&M coaching job

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: Dan Lanning top name for Texas A&M coaching job

Post by Duck07 »

Could it be that BOTH DeBoer and Grubbs leave due to lack of money inside the AD$?
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

Duck07 wrote:Could it be that BOTH DeBoer and Grubbs leave due to lack of money inside the AD$?
Grubbs could be in line for a HC job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
spacefrog13x
Three Star Recruit

Post by spacefrog13x »

RanDux wrote:
bdkipe wrote:Lanning has said multiple times he values relationships, he values connection and the stability of his sons is important to him. I think he is genuine and authentic person and for that reason I don’t think he would leave. He knows he is building something special. He’s also not stupid and has seen coaches leave Oregon for “greener” pastures and fail. I’m sure Rob, Phil & Pat will get together and give him a nice raise and assistant pool bump.

If y’all remember, we had to deal with this with Bellotti too. UCLA, USC & tOSU all came after him and he ultimately stayed.

I don’t begrudge Mario for leaving. We crap on him too much for that when we clearly lucked out and got a better coach for our long-term success. Mario left it better than he found it. Mario was born and raised in Miami. His entire life was Miami. As much of a surly a-hole as he could be to the media the man valued family and his mother was dying. If momma and your Alma Mater are both begging you to come home I’m not going to begrudge you that no matter how awkward your exit is.
Well said.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
His wife was also a huge factor. She hated Eugene, Oregon, and the entire UO Athletic Dept (feeling was mutual). She was positively tumescent on the plane ride home from the Pac-12 championship game when they were blown out. Her treatment of the admin staff in the AD was completely out of bounds, and would have probably turned into a minor scandal had they not moved on to Miami.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Dan Lanning top name for Texas A&M coaching job

Post by lmduck »

spacefrog13x wrote:
RanDux wrote:
bdkipe wrote:Lanning has said multiple times he values relationships, he values connection and the stability of his sons is important to him. I think he is genuine and authentic person and for that reason I don’t think he would leave. He knows he is building something special. He’s also not stupid and has seen coaches leave Oregon for “greener” pastures and fail. I’m sure Rob, Phil & Pat will get together and give him a nice raise and assistant pool bump.

If y’all remember, we had to deal with this with Bellotti too. UCLA, USC & tOSU all came after him and he ultimately stayed.

I don’t begrudge Mario for leaving. We crap on him too much for that when we clearly lucked out and got a better coach for our long-term success. Mario left it better than he found it. Mario was born and raised in Miami. His entire life was Miami. As much of a surly a-hole as he could be to the media the man valued family and his mother was dying. If momma and your Alma Mater are both begging you to come home I’m not going to begrudge you that no matter how awkward your exit is.
Well said.

His wife was also a huge factor. She hated Eugene, Oregon, and the entire UO Athletic Dept (feeling was mutual). She was positively tumescent on the plane ride home from the Pac-12 championship game when they were blown out. Her treatment of the admin staff in the AD was completely out of bounds, and would have probably turned into a minor scandal had they not moved on to Miami.
Assume you are talking about Mario's wife?

Remember all the pics we saw of the team at various events at DL's home this past spring and summer, one of the current players told me Mario never once had them to his home and like DL had a place that could have accomdated them.

Mario's wife did not want them at their home.

Last edited by lmduck on Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

spacefrog13x wrote:
RanDux wrote:

Well said.

tu·mes·cent
/to͞oˈmes(ə)nt/
adjective
1. swollen or becoming swollen, especially as a response to sexual arousal.
2. (especially of language or literary style) pompous or pretentious.

Could you, uh, elaborate?
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

tumultuous?

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

lmduck wrote:
Duck07 wrote:Could it be that BOTH DeBoer and Grubbs leave due to lack of money inside the AD$?

Moving on from quoting Max Van Sydow...

I do wonder if they could lose both the HC and the potential Head Coach in Waiting.

Michigan is going to be a possible opening along with TAMU and likely one of UF/UM (lol).

Sure Seattle has more $ than Oregon, but those donors have never been in play for the poodles.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

spacefrog13x wrote:
RanDux wrote:

Well said.

There weren't enough designer clothing stores for her in Eugene.

buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Duck07 wrote:
lmduck wrote:

Moving on from quoting Max Van Sydow...

I do wonder if they could lose both the HC and the potential Head Coach in Waiting.

Michigan is going to be a possible opening along with TAMU and likely one of UF/UM (lol).

Sure Seattle has more $ than Oregon, but those donors have never been in play for the poodles.

Most of the money in Seattle aren’t even UW alum, that’s why.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Yeah, good for us, I guess.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Greenblood wrote:Yeah, good for us, I guess.
I have an inconsistency in my thinking where I never want Washington to win a single game, but I also like it when they're a good team. It makes the rivalry so much bigger. Maybe that doesn't make much sense, but it does mean I would be a little sad if they lost DeBoer.
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

I went to an A&M board and read a thread about Lanning specifically. Some of the posters (including the OP) were resigned that Lanning is not at all likely to be their new HC. One of the topics that came up was that he had a $20 million dollar buyout under his Oregon contract, but that Lanning was also under a Nike contract with a buyout of its own. Something about that was comforting because it was also a major deterrence to these posters regarding the unlikelihood of A&M obtaining him as coach due to the cost and conditions of the Nike contract.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

5$ wrote:I went to an A&M board and read a thread about Lanning specifically. Some of the posters (including the OP) were resigned that Lanning is not at all likely to be their new HC. One of the topics that came up was that he had a $20 million dollar buyout under his Oregon contract, but that Lanning was also under a Nike contract with a buyout of its own. Something about that was comforting because it was also a major deterrence to these posters regarding the unlikelihood of A&M obtaining him as coach due to the cost and conditions of the Nike contract.
Hmmm, maybe that's what he meant by 'I'm well taken care of'. Or maybe posters on other teams' websites are just obsessed with Nike and make stuff up.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Phalanx wrote:
5$ wrote:I went to an A&M board and read a thread about Lanning specifically. Some of the posters (including the OP) were resigned that Lanning is not at all likely to be their new HC. One of the topics that came up was that he had a $20 million dollar buyout under his Oregon contract, but that Lanning was also under a Nike contract with a buyout of its own. Something about that was comforting because it was also a major deterrence to these posters regarding the unlikelihood of A&M obtaining him as coach due to the cost and conditions of the Nike contract.
Hmmm, maybe that's what he meant by 'I'm well taken care of'. Or maybe posters on other teams' websites are just obsessed with Nike and make stuff up.
It couldn’t possibly be that Oregon is a better program and a better place to coach, it has to be the “Nike money”.

I remember when Kevin Sumlin was fired at A&M and was in consideration at Oregon after Willie left and an A&M fan showed up on this forum saying Sumlin would be a great fit at Oregon and that A&M was just too big time of a job for him and he’d thrive at a smaller program like Oregon, they’re a delusional bunch in College Station.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

OregonFan4Life wrote: It couldn’t possibly be that Oregon is a better program and a better place to coach, it has to be the “Nike money”.

I remember when Kevin Sumlin was fired at A&M and was in consideration at Oregon after Willie left and an A&M fan showed up on this forum saying Sumlin would be a great fit at Oregon and that A&M was just too big time of a job for him and he’d thrive at a smaller program like Oregon, they’re a delusional bunch in College Station.
The Aggie poster that came here never said anything remotely like that. Go back and read what he actually said.

https://ducksattack.com/forum/viewtopic ... n&start=30