Chip Kelly Uncomfortable Around Black Players?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

SuperDuck
Senior

Chip Kelly Uncomfortable Around Black Players?

Post by SuperDuck »

I just read this article about a recent podcast with DeSean Jackson and "Shady" McCoy.

This is totally based on their own opinions, but it's interesting that they'd feel that way. I've never heard anything from Oregon players about this.

https://sports.yahoo.com/desean-jackson ... 45661.html
John 3:36
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Chip Kelly Uncomfortable Around Black Players?

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Kelly seemed to have respect from a lot of his key players at Oregon, who were mostly black. LMJ, Darron Thomas, Barner, DAT, Dion Jordan, etc...

So he's racist according to article because:
-Kelly traded two black people. One was racist because a single report said they traded him because of potential ties to LA gangs?
-Kelly has one example of telling a player (who was black) to be more presentable. And the article seems that the guess is his hair?
-Kelly never really talked to DeSean Jackson. But the assumption is because he's black?
-Kelly put Riley Cooper in isolation because of a racial slur he did. And it's potentially racist that Kelly isolated Riley Cooper?

Lots of assumptions and no real hard data.. There's a lot more data to support that Kelly is uncomfortable with other issues... Confrontation, recruiting, interviews, etc. He's never come off as a racist coach.

They sound entitled and perhaps that is why Chip Kelly didn't mesh with them.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Also ironic how apparently saying the n word (Riley Cooper) is dismissed by McCoy.. But because Chip didn't have a good relationship with him, he must be racist.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

SuperDuck wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:59 pm I just read this article about a recent podcast with DeSean Jackson and "Shady" McCoy.

This is totally based on their own opinions, but it's interesting that they'd feel that way. I've never heard anything from Oregon players about this.

This is old news. In a sport where a vast majority of players are black, it would be impossible to have the success that he has had. 2 idiots with a mic don't make it true
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

This again? I remember reading the supposed 'evidence' of this when it first came out several years ago, and when I saw the headline on yahoo, I assumed there was new evidence. Nope, just recycling the same drivel from years ago on an apparently slow news day. If they work it right, maybe the media can cause a stir for Chip while he starts his new gig at Ohio State. I actually remember thinking at the time that it sounded like what Jackson and McCoy were saying was that being all about yourself before the team was an inherently black trait and any coach who wants to steer away from that attitude is inherently racist. It sounded a lot more like Chip just expects players to be a little more coachable and team-oriented, and a couple of guys who didn't fit that culture decided to judge the coach on his skin color rather than the content of his character.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Never heard any complaints from UO players, UCLA or 49ers that I remember. Seems more like A guy who was pissed about being traded, who keeps this narrative going. It’s funny, because the way Chip treated him in 2014? Is how NFL RB are all being treated nowadays. Like they are easily replaced

McCoy was used to having his butt kissed his whole life, and Chip said you are replaceable. And traded him. Now the entire NFL knows RB are a dime a dozen.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

squintsdd wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:45 pm
SuperDuck wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:59 pm I just read this article about a recent podcast with DeSean Jackson and "Shady" McCoy.

This is old news. In a sport where a vast majority of players are black, it would be impossible to have the success that he has had. 2 idiots with a mic don't make it true
I never implied that it was true. I just shared the news, that's all.
John 3:36
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

DeSean Jackson grinded this axe long ago and was met with relative silence then, too. Seems like a guy who's unhappy with the bed he made.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I saw this the other day and I'm not at all surprised that "Shady" and "Jaccson" would say this nonsense. They're entitled to their opinions of course, but its just more people wanting to pull the victim card when they don't have anything substantive to actually complain about.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

UOducksTK1 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:36 pm Kelly seemed to have respect from a lot of his key players at Oregon, who were mostly black. LMJ, Darron Thomas, Barner, DAT, Dion Jordan, etc...

So he's racist according to article because:
-Kelly traded two black people. One was racist because a single report said they traded him because of potential ties to LA gangs?
-Kelly has one example of telling a player (who was black) to be more presentable. And the article seems that the guess is his hair?
-Kelly never really talked to DeSean Jackson. But the assumption is because he's black?
-Kelly put Riley Cooper in isolation because of a racial slur he did. And it's potentially racist that Kelly isolated Riley Cooper?

Lots of assumptions and no real hard data.. There's a lot more data to support that Kelly is uncomfortable with other issues... Confrontation, recruiting, interviews, etc. He's never come off as a racist coach.

They sound entitled and perhaps that is why Chip Kelly didn't mesh with them.
So WHO is the Racist(s) here?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I think it's worth noting that they're not racist for mistakenly thinking someone else is. They're just being dumb.

It's fair to criticize these guys for misusing the term, but we should avoid the same mistake.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

pezsez1 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:27 am
I think it's worth noting that they're not racist for mistakenly thinking someone else is. They're just being dumb.

It's fair to criticize these guys for misusing the term, but we should avoid the same mistake.
He’s just a guy who had his butt kissed since he was in pop warner. And when a coach told him he wasn’t wanted anymore, things how he reacts. It’s fairly normal, but usually they let it go a decade later.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

It's hard to say that they "mistakenly" thought someone else was. It seems more like they were butt hurt and tried to ruin someone else's career over it
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Here's the truth about Shady and MeShawn. They were not team players and Chip jettisoned them. It eventually freed up cap space so that the next admin had a lot more flexibility and eventually won the Super Bowl. Does Chip get credit for the Super Bowl? No...but he does get credit for getting rid of guys that were not going to lead them there.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Actually, I think racist is a good word to describe someone who constantly thinks in terms of race, who is preoccupied with race, and who perpetually blames interpersonal conflict on race. I'm not sure what other term would better fit those traits.