USC Targets BSU's Petersen

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

KeenanHowry15
Three Star Recruit

USC Targets BSU's Petersen

Post by KeenanHowry15 »

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac10/post/_/id ... s-petersen

There is nothing i would love to see more than BSU lose its beloved coach. :lol:

If he did coach at SC i can see a few more losses on his record, after all he would be playing against Pac-10 opponents, not some nobody Shitty WAC teams, that he complied that win-loss record against...
wheaton4prez
Senior

Re: USC Targets BSU's Petersen

Post by wheaton4prez »

I don't know. To be honest, I think he might be capable of doing a better job than Carroll did at USC.
freedjr
Four Star Recruit

Post by freedjr »

Yeah, Peterson at BSU makes me more nervous than anyone they've mentioned yet. I am highly curious to see how failed trick plays will go over at USC though.
neezy3
Four Star Recruit

Post by neezy3 »

I don't want Petersen anywhere near that job, he's outcoached and beat us twice why would we want him in conference with way better athletes than he has now. Personally i'm not sure if there is a better coach with time to prepare for a big game in all of college football. Hopefully they go with an nfl guy whos unfamiliar with the college game and west coast recruiting.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

wheaton4prez wrote:I don't know. To be honest, I think he might be capable of doing a better job than Carroll did at USC.
I'm not convinced of that. Carroll was a great college coach and whoever takes over for him won't have the same talent that he was accustomed to having, especially 2-3 years from now when they're on probation.

Let's look at the success of other former Boise State coaches:

Dan Hawkins - He's been a bust at Colorado so far.

Dirk Koetter - He had a run of some success at ASU, but no major impact. Current offensive coordinator of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Houston Nutt - The most successful of the bunch by far. He was a good coach at Arkansas and has completely turned the Mississippi program around.

That's the problem with hiring coaches from mid-major conferences. You just never really know how good they are because of their padded won/loss record. I'd personally put Petersen and Nutt above the others because of Nutt's consistant success in the SEC and Petersen's wins in big Bowl games. However, as Jimmy Johnson said, he'd put teams like Boise State up against anyone in the country - for one game. He didn't think they'd be nearly as successful playing BCS teams week in and week out.

All that being said, I'd be shocked if Petersen left Boise State. He's definitely underpaid at around $950,000 per year, but he's got almost zero stress, at least, compared to the USC job, a community that loves him and their Broncos, as well as 21 starters coming back next year. Sheesh, he's got Kellen Moore for two more years.

I guess we'll see how it plays out.

In the meantime, the clock is ticking on USC and this years recruiting class.

Tick, tock, tick, tock..... :D
John 3:36
PDXShogun
Four Star Recruit

Post by PDXShogun »

SuperDuck wrote:
wheaton4prez wrote:I don't know. To be honest, I think he might be capable of doing a better job than Carroll did at USC.
I'm not convinced of that. Carroll was a great college coach and whoever takes over for him won't have the same talent that he was accustomed to having, especially 2-3 years from now when they're on probation.

Dan Hawkins - He's been a bust at Colorado so far.

Dirk Koetter - He had a run of some success at ASU, but no major impact. Current offensive coordinator of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Houston Nutt - The most successful of the bunch by far. He was a good coach at Arkansas and has completely turned the Mississippi program around.
...but none of them ever took Boise to a BCS game, let alone 2. If I were running SC, this would have been my first call.
gregspechtismyhero
Freshman

Post by gregspechtismyhero »

Ugh, please don't accept the job. Petersen reminds me of Harbaugh at Furd. SC would be deadly with him at the wheel.
In Helfrich, Frost, and Allioti we trust
Image (USA Today Sports)
AIM: hockeygoalie923
blackjack17
Three Star Recruit

Post by blackjack17 »

Article says they reached out to him, doesn't say how serious it was though. I wonder what number is was on their list.
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

SuperDuck wrote:

You're not convinced that he might be better? ;)

I don't think it helps to compare other Boise State coaches careers since being in the Boise State program isn't what makes the coaches what they are. They make the program what it is and Chris Peterson has given more reason than any of those others to suggest that he is the real deal, probably at any level.