Ernie Kent Fired

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: Ernie Kent Fired

Post by greenyellow »

I don't think saying what his team was doing wrong is throwing his guys under the bus. When the team is not shooting well or turning the ball over, Kent is not the one in the game doing those things; it's the players so he can point those things out. He would say they need to work on some things but never bad mouthed a player.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

I just wished he would have said that the team should have been better the last few years and that he takes responsibility for the poor performance. Instead, he said the other day that Dunigan was inconsistent and Porter+Longmire missing games really hurt. No matter which players were available, a lot of the losing can be pinned on Ernie's coaching. Kent was always promising that his teams would be better in the future, and used that as an excuse if the team d idn't perform well at the current time. I admire his passion, but if he really wanted to stay here then he should have done different things as the coach.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

greenyellow wrote:I don't think saying what his team was doing wrong is throwing his guys under the bus. When the team is not shooting well or turning the ball over, Kent is not the one in the game doing those things; it's the players so he can point those things out. He would say they need to work on some things but never bad mouthed a player.
Or he could admit the obvious that he ran no set offense & didn't put his players in any kind of position to shoot well. Thats the whole reason you have a coach. If you went by EK's reasoning we still shoulda fired him cuz apparently when the players play horribly its no ones fault but their own. Theres no need for a coach. When they have no structure on offense and for some reason can't hit a shot, its their fault. Theres nothing poor Ernie could do about that! Theres no possible way he could have gotten them to run some set plays. NO WAY he could have taught Big Mike how to actually set a screen for TP! No its all the players fault. Hopefully Ernie can get a job at a school where the kids already know how to run their own plays & play perfect defense all by themselves. Unlike the kids at Oregon.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
greenyellow wrote:I don't think saying what his team was doing wrong is throwing his guys under the bus. When the team is not shooting well or turning the ball over, Kent is not the one in the game doing those things; it's the players so he can point those things out. He would say they need to work on some things but never bad mouthed a player.
Or he could admit the obvious that he ran no set offense & didn't put his players in any kind of position to shoot well. Thats the whole reason you have a coach. If you went by EK's reasoning we still shoulda fired him cuz apparently when the players play horribly its no ones fault but their own. Theres no need for a coach. When they have no structure on offense and for some reason can't hit a shot, its their fault. Theres nothing poor Ernie could do about that! Theres no possible way he could have gotten them to run some set plays. NO WAY he could have taught Big Mike how to actually set a screen for TP! No its all the players fault. Hopefully Ernie can get a job at a school where the kids already know how to run their own plays & play perfect defense all by themselves. Unlike the kids at Oregon.
Look at how many open lay-in attempts they had that they missed. You don't get those opportunities unless your offense is working. Also, screens being set are also the product of the person who is getting the screen being patient enough for the screener to be set. You can drill that into people, but sometimes they don't always get it during games. You have to remember these are college kids who are still learning the finer points and they will make mistakes.
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

JMO here...but EKs offense seems to run better when there is a really good pg running the show( I guess that is true for all offenses lol but especially his) Rid and AB flourished in EK's offense. That and the fact that they were really good players. While the bigs on this team are good...I dont think this team has the talent of those other teams.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

greenyellow wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:
Look at how many open lay-in attempts they had that they missed. You don't get those opportunities unless your offense is working. Also, screens being set are also the product of the person who is getting the screen being patient enough for the screener to be set. You can drill that into people, but sometimes they don't always get it during games. You have to remember these are college kids who are still learning the finer points and they will make mistakes.
You sound like EK. TPs been here for four years but he just might not get it in games? Then obviously his COACH isn't doing a good job of teaching him.

Look at any team that executes their game plan perfectly, its because of their coach. A team like Boise runs their stuff absolutely perfect & makes up for their lesser talent by just out executing the other team. And who gets the credit for that? Obviously, Peterson the coach. But when its the other way around & the players can't even execute a simple pick & freaking roll its the players? Gimme a break. That is ridiculous reason.

Kent obviously loves the program & I admire that. I agree with him, we won't find a guy who loves the Ducks as much as him. Which sucks. I think we all would rather have had him work out & be our coach till he retired. The problem is he has been doing a terrible job coaching the past few yearsGive him credit for all his other great qualities but do not try to great game coach too but "his players just didn't execute". Thats just stupid.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:
You sound like EK. TPs been here for four years but he just might not get it in games? Then obviously his COACH isn't doing a good job of teaching him.

Look at any team that executes their game plan perfectly, its because of their coach. A team like Boise runs their stuff absolutely perfect & makes up for their lesser talent by just out executing the other team. And who gets the credit for that? Obviously, Peterson the coach. But when its the other way around & the players can't even execute a simple pick & freaking roll its the players? Gimme a break. That is ridiculous reason.

Kent obviously loves the program & I admire that. I agree with him, we won't find a guy who loves the Ducks as much as him. Which sucks. I think we all would rather have had him work out & be our coach till he retired. The problem is he has been doing a terrible job coaching the past few yearsGive him credit for all his other great qualities but do not try to great game coach too but "his players just didn't execute". Thats just stupid.
I'm not saying Kent is the greatest game coach but sometimes the players don't execute the gameplan; players aren't infallible. It may not be the whole game, but there may be certain possessions where they aren't. It was Kent's responsibility to put a gameplan in front of his players that they can execute so they could win a game and he didn't always do that or make adjustments in-game to help them.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

^I can agree with that. And really its kind of a pointless arguement, EK's gone. :lol: Time to move on.