Pac-12/Big 10/Big 12 Realignment

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Re: Pac-12/Big 10/Big 12 Realignment

Post by Zyme »

Tallahassee is a bugger to fly in and out of, you effectively are stuck changing in DFW, ATL, or MIA (grew up a FSU fan as dad was an Alum went out there once it kinda sucked). SFO (san fran) to Tallahassee is, at best, 6.5 hour.
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

Zyme wrote:Tallahassee is a bugger to fly in and out of, you effectively are stuck changing in DFW, ATL, or MIA (grew up a FSU fan as dad was an Alum went out there once it kinda sucked). SFO (san fran) to Tallahassee is, at best, 6.5 hour.
For football teams, I imagine that they charter a flight. For non-revenue sports, this definitely comes into play.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

lmduck wrote:
ducks5ever wrote:Those schools are being reasonable though. What is there to gain by traveling across the country to play cal/stanford? It's just massive headache for no gain. Imagine losing to cal and then having to travel for another 8 hours with your depressed teammates. I'm just grateful the Big10 teams that have to travel to Oregon/LA are willing to overlook this.
8 hours to get across country?????

I just looked - a direct flight from Cincinnati to Seattle is 5 hours. That's not including travel to the airport, getting off the plane, security, just to name a few things. I could easily see it taking over 8 hours to go from the time the clock hits 0 at Autzen to when visiting teams get back to tOSU for example. Cincinnati is more or less in the middle of big 10 country. The trip back is probably a redeye flight too. Workable? Yes. Desirable? No
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Some big names trying to get Stanford and SMU into the ACC.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Cal, Stanford, and SMU looking to get into the ACC once again and it may succeed this time with all the financial concessions being made, namely by SMU.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Those type of travel arrangements stress me out. I mean I hope Stanford/Cal end up in a power 4 conference, but that's just crazy.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Those type of travel arrangements stress me out. I mean I hope Stanford/Cal end up in a power 4 conference, but that's just crazy.

Power 4? You mean power 2.5? The big 12 is far from a power anything without OU/Texas
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

buckmarkduck wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:Those type of travel arrangements stress me out. I mean I hope Stanford/Cal end up in a power 4 conference, but that's just crazy.

Power 4? You mean power 2.5? The big 12 is far from a power anything without OU/Texas
Well, in terms of finances, I do think there's still 4 conferences far greater than the rest. And when you consider other sports like basketball, Big 12 may be the top dog.

Media deals:
Big Ten/SEC $50 mil+
Big 12/ACC $30 mil+
Everyone else $5 mil or less

Until teams like Clemson, Florida State, and Miami ditch the ACC (and perhaps other Big 12 teams), it's still a 4 conference race.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Looks like ACC expansion could be done in the next 72 hours.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Insane. ESPN and Fox will pay $30M+ per team to see 8 of 10 programs join other conferences, but weren't willing to still pay that for those programs to stay in the Pac-12. Absolutely insane.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

StevensTechU wrote:Insane. ESPN and Fox will pay $30M+ per team to see 8 of 10 programs join other conferences, but weren't willing to still pay that for those programs to stay in the Pac-12. Absolutely insane.
Makes absolutely no sense besides them just wanting to always carve up the Pac-12 and stick them where they could get the best matchups in other conferences.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

ESPN DID make that offer to the Pac-12 a year ago, didn't they? But the commissioner turned it down and asked for like $50 million per team?
Willie Taggart is a dick.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

pezsez1 wrote:ESPN DID make that offer to the Pac-12 a year ago, didn't they? But the commissioner turned it down and asked for like $50 million per team?
On the advice of a president's handpicked professor who somehow came up with that valuation.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

pezsez1 wrote:ESPN DID make that offer to the Pac-12 a year ago, didn't they? But the commissioner turned it down and asked for like $50 million per team?
In a different market. Like telling me what you would've offered for my car over a year ago. This summer, they didn't approach those numbers but yet are willing to pay them as part of other conferences. It's completely nonsensical.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

It's not so simple.
1. Oregon (and UW) won't accept $30 million a year. You guys want to win a national championship right? That takes money. How did Georgia rise so quickly? They have 1 of the highest recruiting budgets in the nation. Taking 30 million a year would walk us into a FSU/clemson/miami situation - a situation those teams are desperately trying to escape. Yet you guys are more than happy to walk into this exact situation, but still hold unrealistic expectations on where this funding is supposed to take us. Mind blowing.

2. More importantly, i dont think the networks had the slots for an entire conference. Only way you monetize the conference is to put them on TV. The slots weren't there to fully monetize such a "marriage". That is reflected in the offer price and no school, especially Oregon wants to take such a penalty that isn't even our fault.
Pac 12 after dark slots exist but they're terrible. Not many people on the West coast care about/watch football and the east coast is sleeping. Sure, it's an open slot but the content isn't something anyone would pay top dollar for.