HBO special on college sports

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

AU4UO
Four Star Recruit

Re: HBO special on college sports

Post by AU4UO »

greenyellow wrote:I wouldn't be at all shocked if some of these players were actually paid since it semms to happen at just about every school.
Correct, I think this shady stuff happens at probably every major university in one form or another. However, these 4 players? I've never even heard of 2 of them, hell, some players on the team said they'd never heard of them. There's a laundry list of players that could have been paid, but claim they weren't nor admit any knowledge of it going down.

Ronnie Brown was highly recruited and drove a '96 Honda with a busted out window.

Here is what former TE Cole Bennett had to say over on an Auburn message board:
Stanley signed in 2003 with me. His dorm room was next to mine at Sewell Hall. He had no car and and the only clothes he wore were some Auburn issued workout gear and some stuff from a senior bowl he played in. I saw him wear very little personal stuff. Note, his best friend was J. Rosegreen who has stated that he didn't get paid to play. If Stanley had recieved money, then he didn't spend it on anything anyone of us could see and someone who is dumb enough to take cash like that would blow it almost instantly on stupid, very obvious purchases.

As for the handshakes, we all pretty much walk the same path after the game, basically a reverse Tiger Walk. You pass by the basketball parking lot where the big money boosters park their RVs. I've never saw any of them walk up and do anything like a money handshake, and I've walked out with or behind about every player of note from 2003-2007 and never saw anything even remotely suspicious. Unless some of the random 8 year olds were slipping $100s in pockets I'm telling you it didn't happen.

Chaz has an axe to grind, anything he says different is a lie. I played with him and was rehabed by the same training staff that "ended" his career. I broke my ankle and was rehabbed back to 100% and we were both starters when we got injured (not at the same time though).

Troy at one point was majoring in the same thing that J. Palmer got his degree in, Wireless Engineering. So take that for what it's worth.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Icculus wrote:
greenyellow wrote:I wouldn't be at all shocked if some of these players were actually paid since it semms to happen at just about every school.
Correct, I think this shady stuff happens at probably every major university in one form or another. However, these 4 players? I've never even heard of 2 of them, hell, some players on the team said they'd never heard of them. There's a laundry list of players that could have been paid, but claim they weren't nor admit any knowledge of it going down.

Ronnie Brown was highly recruited and drove a '96 Honda with a busted out window.

Stanley signed in 2003 with me. His dorm room was next to mine at Sewell Hall. He had no car and and the only clothes he wore were some Auburn issued workout gear and some stuff from a senior bowl he played in. I saw him wear very little personal stuff. Note, his best friend was J. Rosegreen who has stated that he didn't get paid to play. If Stanley had recieved money, then he didn't spend it on anything anyone of us could see and someone who is dumb enough to take cash like that would blow it almost instantly on stupid, very obvious purchases.

As for the handshakes, we all pretty much walk the same path after the game, basically a reverse Tiger Walk. You pass by the basketball parking lot where the big money boosters park their RVs. I've never saw any of them walk up and do anything like a money handshake, and I've walked out with or behind about every player of note from 2003-2007 and never saw anything even remotely suspicious. Unless some of the random 8 year olds were slipping $100s in pockets I'm telling you it didn't happen.

Chaz has an axe to grind, anything he says different is a lie. I played with him and was rehabed by the same training staff that "ended" his career. I broke my ankle and was rehabbed back to 100% and we were both starters when we got injured (not at the same time though).

Troy at one point was majoring in the same thing that J. Palmer got his degree in, Wireless Engineering. So take that for what it's worth.
I have to think some of these players are just angry at Auburn since they aren't where they though they would be, the NFL. Plus, most of these incidents happened under other coaches so they probably don't think the university will be hurt by actions taken during a previous regime, when they actually still could be if the NCAA really wants to investigate.
L Perry
Four Star Recruit

Post by L Perry »

greenyellow wrote:
Icculus wrote:

I have to think some of these players are just angry at Auburn since they aren't where they though they would be, the NFL. Plus, most of these incidents happened under other coaches so they probably don't think the university will be hurt by actions taken during a previous regime, when they actually still could be if the NCAA really wants to investigate.
What incidents? Where are the facts? Got anything other than the proported snippets?
Last edited by L Perry on Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Probae esti in segetem sunt deteriorem datae fruges, tamen ipsae suaptae enitent
AU4UO
Four Star Recruit

Post by AU4UO »

greenyellow wrote: I have to think some of these players are just angry at Auburn since they aren't where they though they would be, the NFL. Plus, most of these incidents happened under other coaches so they probably don't think the university will be hurt by actions taken during a previous regime, when they actually still could be if the NCAA really wants to investigate.
Pretty spot on and parallel with my thoughts.

Supposedly some 200 Auburn players and recruits were approached by HBO and they only found the 4 that already had existing issues with the school. Most people wouldn't know their histories though.

This is certainly convenient for SM, no? It should also be noted that he recently purchased a new home twice the size of his former in December of 2010.

AU4UO
Four Star Recruit

Post by AU4UO »

I don't know if it's common knowledge or not, but Ramsey actually tried to sue the university/trainer that he had during rehab. The case was thrown out.

Quentin Groves was on the radio earlier today slamming McClover. These two used to be good friends.

Here's another tidbit:
University sources confirm that Troy Reddick applied for a Graduate Assistant position at Auburn last year and was turned down.
Things that make you go, "hmmmm".
Last edited by AU4UO on Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

L Perry wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
Icculus wrote:

What incidents? Where are the facts? Got anything other than the proported snippets?
The incidents where these players supposedly got money from coaches and/or boosters. There's some doubt in my mind if these payments actually happened since not many other players have come forward.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Elduderino wrote:I just think that the timing on this is real curious. Why wait until now, after a Natl Title to come out with these accusations. If the experience was so damaging to their lives, why weren't they going public about it a year ago? Two years ago? Now, after Cam-Gate, and the Natty it does have the feel of someone piling on over sour grapes..............Or they could be just crusaders for all that is just in College Football and simply trying to do the right thing; but the fact they (allegedly) took the money (in some cases pushing the program to that point intentionally) provides me with ample skepticism.

I'll wait and see how this shakes out past a SbB and HBO Real Sports doc.
Isn't the Statute of Limitations for the NCAA 4 years? It's certainly much easier to talk after any threat of punishment has disappeared. Also if you wait teammates and coaches have also moved on and probably won't suffer negative consequences.
NCDucks09
Senior

Post by NCDucks09 »

News Flash to those of you with your head in the sand:

First-hand confessions count as evidence!

This isn't one crazy dude coming out of a drug coma looking for cash to cop heroin on the street. This is a group of players coming out and blowing the whistle. It takes courage to do this because of the fact that we are cultured to shame 'rats'...

CFB is a business, and just like any business, is subject to corruption. See Enron, Worldcom, HellSouth...etc.

If evidence such as a paper-trail or confession comes out proving Oregon illegally paid or bent the rules to get players through recruiting services I'm not going to plug my ears, wrinkle my face, make loud noises, and pretend it didn't happen.

2012 Rose Bowl Champions
2013 Fiesta Bowl Champions

Still Dedicated to the Ducks Winning the Natty!
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

I think 07 can vouch for this one too but the whole getting laid thing on recruiting trips is nothing new. It happens at Oregon as well and that is a fact. Jersey chasers will chase, let's just leave it at that. And let's be honest, who cares if girls whore themselves out to these recruits? Are people really that shocked that gigantic black men with NFL potential are attractive to girls?
AU4UO
Four Star Recruit

Post by AU4UO »

Duck24 wrote:I think 07 can vouch for this one too but the whole getting laid thing on recruiting trips is nothing new. It happens at Oregon as well and that is a fact. Jersey chasers will chase, let's just leave it at that. And let's be honest, who cares if girls whore themselves out to these recruits? Are people really that shocked that gigantic black men with NFL potential are attractive to girls?
If I'm not mistaken, that happened with Clowney most recently during one of his recruitment visits. I can't remember the school he named, but I don't think it was USCjr. He didn't acknowledge any sexual favors, but he did say the current players had plenty of ladies around.
L Perry
Four Star Recruit

Post by L Perry »

NCDucks09 wrote:News Flash to those of you with your head in the sand:

This isn't one crazy dude coming out of a drug coma looking for cash to cop heroin on the street. This is a group of players coming out and blowing the whistle. It takes courage to do this because of the fact that we are cultured to shame 'rats'...

CFB is a business, and just like any business, is subject to corruption. See Enron, Worldcom, HellSouth...etc.

If evidence such as a paper-trail or confession comes out proving Oregon illegally paid or bent the rules to get players through recruiting services I'm not going to plug my ears, wrinkle my face, make loud noises, and pretend it didn't happen.
The incessant spouting of people having their heads buried in the sand because they do not jump to the worst possible conclusion when accusations are thrown out is a bore, frankly! That sh1t goes on is undeniable, that it is the only thing, is ludicrous! If someone has done something wrong and it is factually proven, then, and only then, do they deserve full punishment for their actions. :roll:
Last edited by L Perry on Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Probae esti in segetem sunt deteriorem datae fruges, tamen ipsae suaptae enitent
Elduderino
Senior

Post by Elduderino »

maxduck wrote:Isn't the Statute of Limitations for the NCAA 4 years? It's certainly much easier to talk after any threat of punishment has disappeared. Also if you wait teammates and coaches have also moved on and probably won't suffer negative consequences.
Perhaps. I think this would be a valid rationale for waiting if it is the case. Though I doubt that coaches and teammates would have "moved on" too much. Especially the coaches, most of whom are still in the business where their reputation follows them and they're still within the reach of the NCAA. But still, this would be a reasonable reason for waiting I guess.

NCDucks09 wrote:News Flash to those of you with your head in the sand:

Well we agree on our response if evidence is found that does incriminate Oregon; but let's not get ahead of ourselves anointing these guys as the whistle blowers of college athletics. Remember these are the same dudes that allegedly had no problem taking (or in one instance pushing the program to supply) money in the first place.

Also, while it would be naive to suggest that there is no corruption in the business of CFB, it is equally naive to discount the notion that these players (4 out of 200 by Andrea Kramer's count) might just have some sort of axe to grind with the University and program. As far as first-hand, confessions go...keep in mind that in the real justice system eye-witness testimonies are considered by some to be among the most unreliable of evidence. People also purger themselves and offer false testimony/confessions all the time.

The whole thing certainly looks and sounds bad. But like I said originally, lets see how this whole thing shakes out before passing concrete judgment on anyone. Innocent until proven (in my mind) beyond a doubt guilty.
AKA: CAgrown
Elduderino
Senior

Post by Elduderino »

One other thing, from Finebaum's twitter account

@Finebaum Brooks,'It's interesting that HBO left McClover's high school coach out of the report. He debunked most of McClovers claims.'
AKA: CAgrown
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Icculus wrote:
Duck24 wrote:I think 07 can vouch for this one too but the whole getting laid thing on recruiting trips is nothing new. It happens at Oregon as well and that is a fact. Jersey chasers will chase, let's just leave it at that. And let's be honest, who cares if girls whore themselves out to these recruits? Are people really that shocked that gigantic black men with NFL potential are attractive to girls?
If I'm not mistaken, that happened with Clowney most recently during one of his recruitment visits. I can't remember the school he named, but I don't think it was USCjr. He didn't acknowledge any sexual favors, but he did say the current players had plenty of ladies around.
We had 1 RB recruit about 8 years ago whose parents found out he drank and had sex on his trip and flipped out - no way were they letting him come here. I can't remember all the details with the recruit but at some point we have to recognize that some of these things are not systemic problems of the institutions but rather the public's general fascination with these athletes, ahem, student-athletes as Mark Emmert will reiterate. You're not going to stop girls being attracted to college athletes any more than you can you stop fans at the bar from buying these guys drinks, $ handshakes etc.

As for "if the facts come out showing Oregon/AU cheated..." - yes, we'll all be disappointed but right now, we're still waiting for that evidence. I'll feel like a bit of a whore myself for watching it on hbo tonight but if this is the worst of what they've got, call me not impressed.
AU4UO
Four Star Recruit

Post by AU4UO »

Duck07 wrote: Image
Great Gam Gam is a whore?