Keeping up with Michael Dunigan

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

wvduck34
Three Star Recruit

Keeping up with Michael Dunigan

Post by wvduck34 »

I found this link while searching the Internet. Thought everyone would get a big kick out of it.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?STORY_ID=19902

The article is trying to sell him as a late second round pick. I think that is quite a reach.
But I could easily see him as a FA or in the Development League.
greenyellow

Re: Keeping up with Michael Dunigan

Post by greenyellow »

Maybe playing pro ball helped him more than playing another year of college, but I still seriously doubt his claim that he can shoot out to 3-point range since he never showed that at Oregon and you just don't develop a consistent jumper out there in one year.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?STO ... z1NV0qaJhs

"He believes his season in Estonia has made him a better overall player, moreso than another season at Oregon would have."

I think a season playing under Altman would have shown Dunigan far more than he will ever realize...

Guess we will never know.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

Even though it clearly didn't work out with us, I'm still rooting for Dunigan to make it in the pros.

Going to miss the Maehl Man
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

woundedknees wrote:http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?STO ... z1NV0qaJhs

"He believes his season in Estonia has made him a better overall player, moreso than another season at Oregon would have."

I think a season playing under Altman would have shown Dunigan far more than he will ever realize...

Highly doubt that.
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

TheMaehlMan wrote:Even though it clearly didn't work out with us, I'm still rooting for Dunigan to make it in the pros.
I knew Mike when I was at UO and he's a good guy, but I'm going to hold off on rooting for him until we really find out what happened with his dealings with an agent. If he puts this program on probation, I'd assume that your position would change. He didn't exactly leave Oregon on a positive note.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

Boom wrote:

Highly doubt that.
I actually think that Dunigan might have been better off in Estonia than here. A European coach would probably knocked all the bad habits out of him. Plus you look at how fundamentally sound the Euro players in the NBA look, I can see a coach correcting fundamentals and shooting form. Probably all things that Altman could have done too, but with a lot less practice time available.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

greenyellow wrote:playing pro ball probably helped him more than playing another year of college under Ernie Kent.
Fixed. :D

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

uostudent wrote:
TheMaehlMan wrote:Even though it clearly didn't work out with us, I'm still rooting for Dunigan to make it in the pros.
I knew Mike when I was at UO and he's a good guy, but I'm going to hold off on rooting for him until we really find out what happened with his dealings with an agent. If he puts this program on probation, I'd assume that your position would change. He didn't exactly leave Oregon on a positive note.
Obviously that would taint my feelings toward him, but wasn't that more his Mom going behind Mike's back?

Going to miss the Maehl Man
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

TheMaehlMan wrote:
uostudent wrote:
Obviously that would taint my feelings toward him, but wasn't that more his Mom going behind Mike's back?
Based on the NCAA's handling of the Newton Fiasco, Dunigan could have played with no repercussions, even if the alleged situation took place... Just tell 'em, "My Mom and I are really close, and we tell each other absolutely everything... Except this. I didn't know nuthin'!"

Hey, it worked for Auburn! ;)
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

duckduckgoose wrote:
Boom wrote:

Highly doubt that.
I actually think that Dunigan might have been better off in Estonia than here. A European coach would probably knocked all the bad habits out of him. Plus you look at how fundamentally sound the Euro players in the NBA look, I can see a coach correcting fundamentals and shooting form. Probably all things that Altman could have done too, but with a lot less practice time available.
Those are my thoughts.

Having access to your training staff year round is a pretty significant advantage.
Aen1
High School Drop Out

Post by Aen1 »

greenyellow wrote:Maybe playing pro ball helped him more than playing another year of college, but I still seriously doubt his claim that he can shoot out to 3-point range since he never showed that at Oregon and you just don't develop a consistent jumper out there in one year.
I'm from Estonia, and seen him play this season, and it surprises me that he was bad shooter in college. He really has the range up to near europe 3-point range, maybe up to 15-18ft (in show game, local all-star game, he even shot 3pts 3 for 6, but thats showgame). When left open, he is money, very good shooter.

He is also very good ft shooter now, if excluding some mental lapses sometimes.

Good highlight reel from this season is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTRuWIksZ3Y , mostly dunks. It looks like losing weight really helped him, good athlete. Was little bit lacking defense at first, but as season progressed his defense got better, especially pick and roll defense.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Aen1 wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Maybe playing pro ball helped him more than playing another year of college, but I still seriously doubt his claim that he can shoot out to 3-point range since he never showed that at Oregon and you just don't develop a consistent jumper out there in one year.
I'm from Estonia, and seen him play this season, and it surprises me that he was bad shooter in college. He really has the range up to near europe 3-point range, maybe up to 15-18ft (in show game, local all-star game, he even shot 3pts 3 for 6, but thats showgame). When left open, he is money, very good shooter.

Good highlight reel from this season is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTRuWIksZ3Y , mostly dunks. It looks like losing weight really helped him, good athlete. Was little bit lacking defense at first, but as season progressed his defense got better, especially pick and roll defense.
Thanks for the info. It does seem he actually expanded his game after not showing much of it at Oregon, although that could have been due to the offense that Ernie Kent liked to use.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Aen1 wrote:

I don't think he was necessarily a bad shooter, he just never really shot the ball outside of the key.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog?nam ... id=6599127
Shooting stats from the NBA combine.

Dunigan, Michael
56% spot up college 3
61.1% off the dribble 15-18ft
63.6% timed shooting 15-18ft

Out of all of the F/Cs there were only a couple that had noticeably better numbers. Sample size was pretty small though...

Kanter, Enes
56%
77.8%
41.7%