Blazers 2011-2012 Season

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: Blazers 2011-2012 Season

Post by greenyellow »

woundedknees wrote:Get someone else to use that lottery pick, if it happens... Seems like omebody keeps slipping a set of loaded dice to the Blazers every time they have a critical decision to make. What a Crap shoot!
It seems that way because they have no GM that has a plan for the future and management (Allen and Miller) that thinks its smarter than everyone else when they don't know jack about basketball.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Well, McMillan is gone. Hopefully the first of many changes to come.

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index ... ach_a.html
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Looks like they are making a couple trades also. First, Gerald Wallace to Nets for Shawne Williams, Mehmet Okur, and a top-3 protected lottery pick. Second, Marcus Camby to Rockets for Johnny Flynn, Hasheem Thabeet and a 2012 second-round draft pick. Okur most likely won't see any time in Portland since he last played a game in January.
briarduck
Senior

Post by briarduck »

Damn the BRoy fallout sucks...this team just can't find it's footing and bad decisions aren't helping.
GO DUCKS!! WTD!
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

briarduck wrote:Damn the BRoy fallout sucks...this team just can't find it's footing and bad decisions aren't helping.
Right now it looks like demolition time. I hoped that Portland would make another trade or two before the deadline but ultimately stuck with Felton and Crawford still on the team. Hopefully Portland gets a second lottery pick this year since they need all the help they can from the deep 2012 draft class. Getting a new PG and either a SG or C would be good building blocks for the future.
duck55
Senior

Post by duck55 »

greenyellow wrote:Looks like they are making a couple trades also. First, Gerald Wallace to Nets for Shawne Williams, Mehmet Okur, and a top-3 protected lottery pick. Second, Marcus Camby to Rockets for Johnny Flynn, Hasheem Thabeet and a 2012 second-round draft pick. Okur most likely won't see any time in Portland since he last played a game in January.
Heard C. Johnson was waived as well since they had 2 bodies too many after the trades. Who will the other waiver go to?
OreDucks01284
Senior

Post by OreDucks01284 »

Good bye Oden, we hardly knew ya.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Gone: Wallace, Camby, C. Johnson, and Oden
Coming: Okur, Williams (probably going to be bought out), Thabeet, Flynn, top-3 lottery protected pick, and 2012 second-round pick
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

both trades were actually really (surprisingly) great for portland. i'm stunned this management group was able to pull them off. we're in a much better place going into the offseason now then we were yesterday. and no more nate!

'twas a good day indeed.

we'll have two lottery picks, barring a horrendous ping pong ball picking at the lottery. nets should get a #5-8, which will be nice.
ImageImageImageImageImage
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I still think how much space Portland has for free agency is overrated since they've never proven that they can get a top-flight FA to sign. Only real ways they've gotten talent is through trades and drafting.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

oregontrack wrote:both trades were actually really (surprisingly) great for portland. i'm stunned this management group was able to pull them off. we're in a much better place going into the offseason now then we were yesterday. and no more nate!

'twas a good day indeed.

we'll have two lottery picks, barring a horrendous ping pong ball picking at the lottery. nets should get a #5-8, which will be nice.
J/w how was the Camby trade great?

Nets pick was great value for Gerald Wallace, Nets management is flat out stupid. Wallace and Deron will be gone next year, lol gimmie the Nets and I'll turn them around.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Who do the Blazers get for a coach... Dantoni?
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

the camby trade isn't the highway robbery type of trade like the gerald wallace deal, but it still works out well for the blazers. we get bird rights on younger players than what we sent out, which allows a bit more cap flexibility; we collected a pick; and we did a good dude a solid by sending camby from a sinking ship to a playoff contender, which just so happens to be his hometown team.

it also makes us worse this year, which is good.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

oregontrack wrote:the camby trade isn't the highway robbery type of trade like the gerald wallace deal, but it still works out well for the blazers. we get bird rights on younger players than what we sent out, which allows a bit more cap flexibility; we collected a pick; and we did a good dude a solid by sending camby from a sinking ship to a playoff contender, which just so happens to be his hometown team.

it also makes us worse this year, which is good.
Larry Miller, Blazers president, basically said the only players guaranteed to be on the team next year are LMA, Batum (assuming he re-signs), Babbit, Nolan Smith, and Elliot Williams. With that core, I still don't see this team as anything but a bottom dweller for the next couple of seasons. He also couldn't guarantee that they'd have a GM and/or coach by the time the draft occurs, which is never good since the players they get may not fit in with whoever they hire and be out in a couple years. I really don't trust the management of the team to get back up near the top of the league so I'm lukewarm on this whole rebuilding plan they have in place.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i don't think there's any way to be confident about what portland will do going forward, for the very reasons you mentioned, but i do think the organization made the smart moves they had to make yesterday, which is at least encouraging. i was worried they'd try to trade for a veteran to try to salvage a 7th or 8th seed this year, which would have been infuriating.

i'm just interested in what we're going to do with our two lotto picks this year. if we don't "blazer" it, and actually come away with something worthwhile, i'll be confident going forward even if our GM search is still going on. if the season ended today, we'd be picking #5 and #12. i mean, what if we grab jared sullinger at #5 to start with lamarcus on the front line, and pg damian lillard at #12? that'd be a great core to team with LMA and batum, and we'd still have about $18 mil in cap space to either bring in an upgrade for wes matthews, or add bench depth.