Long Beach State @ Oregon (Ducks sweep series 3-0)

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

thomas time
Senior

Re: Long Beach State @ Oregon (3 game series)

Post by thomas time »

Good to see the team keep playing so well, go into conference play playing this well would be awesome!
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

final long beach state musings:

long beach probably has as good of a 1-2-3 starting rotation as anyone in the pac-12 will have, save stanford, asu, and probably ucla. their offense isn't quite up to par at this time, but their pitching is awesome. we might not score a boatload of runs in this conference, but like this weekend, it's all about your pitching keeping you in games and scrapping by enough to put yourself in position to get the clutch hits late.

speaking of the pac-12, the odds of us going .500 in conference play still probably aren't good -- not even our 40-win 2010 team could (13-14). the pac is just that loaded. but, that's okay -- our rpi will stay strong even if we lose some games, and we're still putting ourselves in a good position by winning so many games now. last year we dropped so many winnable games, it was infuriating. now we're scooping up wins left and right. keep doing that and being a couple games under .500 will still land us in the ncaa tournament.

love that this team doesn't blink if it gets down 2-3-4 runs.

this doesn't matter at all right now and things are always skewed this early in the season, but: we're #3 in the rpi, with the #10 sos in the country through three weeks.

jake reed! he continues to step up and pitch great in a very big, very unexpected spot. i worry about brando tessar going forward, but reed seems calm beyond his years. i think he can hold up through the pac-12 gauntlet. we have the offense to keep us in games if sundays get a little dicey... kind of like today.

we need to use housey more.

we're 10-1 so it sounds weird, i realize, to suggest "changes" to things, but... i would move alto out of the leadoff spot. honestly, i would put brett thomas there, which i thought we would do going into the season. if not thomas, i'd put in payne. payne hits about as well as alto, and payne's OBP is incredible, over 100 points higher than alto's. alto just doesn't walk. we're not getting the production out of the leadoff spot that we could. alto's bat would be better served lower in the order, probably 7th, imo. thomas/payne at the 1-2 would be better table setters for jones/healy/chase/garlick.
ImageImageImageImageImage
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Wow Ducks are killing. This was a WELL earned series!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
TheMaehlMan
Junior

Re: Long Beach State @ Oregon (Ducks sweep series 3-0)

Post by TheMaehlMan »

I was able to attend two of the games during this series, and man am I excited about this team. Oregon just keeps on fighting and finds a way to win games. This has been a tough schedule, and Oregon has risen to the challenge.

Going to miss the Maehl Man
greenyellow

Re: Long Beach State @ Oregon (Ducks sweep series 3-0)

Post by greenyellow »

TheMaehlMan wrote:I was able to attend two of the games during this series, and man am I excited about this team. Oregon just keeps on fighting and finds a way to win games. This has been a tough schedule, and Oregon has risen to the challenge.
They can actually win tight games late, which is a stark difference from last season.