Is Howland going to be out at the end of this year.

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

soduck
Four Star Recruit

Is Howland going to be out at the end of this year.

Post by soduck »

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncb/stor ... ing-report

After reading this is he is on thin ice, especially after this years' performance? He has obviously earned a pass with his past record, but do we want him out? Who might replace him? Too bad Jabari did not end up there, he obviously wanted more of a star treatment than he got here.
maxduck
Senior

Re: Is Howland going to be out at the end of this year.

Post by maxduck »

The next season's incoming recruiting class included Reeves Nelson, who wasted little time in trying to establish himself as resident bully, according to the story. He regularly got into fights and intentionally fouled players with the intent to injure.

Isn't that the guy who accused E J Singler of being dirty?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

maxduck wrote:The next season's incoming recruiting class included Reeves Nelson, who wasted little time in trying to establish himself as resident bully, according to the story. He regularly got into fights and intentionally fouled players with the intent to injure.

Isn't that the guy who accused E J Singler of being dirty?
Probably didn't like someone finally standing up to him, just like any bully.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

He HAS to be fired. Read that article. He is not someone that deserves a major collegiate program, and anyway, it's not like UCLA has succeeded much lately.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i totally get the outrage, but if howland can land shabazz, i think ucla may give him another year regardless.

never underestimate the ucla athletic department's ability to not give a sh**, too. dan guerrero is horrible at his job.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

Tray Dub wrote:He HAS to be fired. Read that article. He is not someone that deserves a major collegiate program, and anyway, it's not like UCLA has succeeded much lately.
Are you kidding me?

He's been to three Final Fours

This will be only the 2nd time in 8 years that UCLA hasn't made the Tourney
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

yep, howland missed the tourney his first year, missed it in 2010 due to some incredible early entry draft losses, and will miss it this year. this is the only year i think he's truly failed as a coach, he's driven away a ton of productive kids playing great elsewhere and the bruins guard and wing play just blows.
ImageImageImageImageImage
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

Wow, this is very disturbing. I grew up rooting for UCLA basketball. A lot of my family members went there and I know quite a few boosters. I talked to one booster today and he thinks that Howland is gone (unless they win the Pac 12 tournament). Dan Guerrero will likely be forced out too (should have happaned a long time ago).

Everyone knew that Howland was a dbag, but it's pretty ridiculous how much he allowed Reeves Nelson to get away with. That meth head has destroyed the program.

Some people were upset that Chip kicked Cliff Harris off the team, but you can't let players run around, get in trouble, and not be disciplined. If you look the other way, like Howland did, you're actually promoting that kind of behavior.

It makes you appreciate what Ernie Kent did while he was here and what Dana Altman is doing now. Oregon is better off not having a guy like Jabari Brown in the program. I'd imagine that Altman will be more careful recruiting in the future.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

oregontrack wrote:yep, howland missed the tourney his first year, missed it in 2010 due to some incredible early entry draft losses, and will miss it this year. this is the only year i think he's truly failed as a coach, he's driven away a ton of productive kids playing great elsewhere and the bruins guard and wing play just blows.
I said lately, by which I meant the last four years (including this season). All I'm saying is that it's not like you can point to current level of play to excuse his behavior as a coach. I'm not saying his record is why he should get fired - I'm saying his record is not enough to save him from getting fired because he hasn't had much success as of late..
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Now Reeves Nelson is denying all the allegations via his lawyer.

This evening, a Los Angeles law firm representing Nelson sent a letter to John Huey, the editor-in-chief of Sports Illustrated, calling the article "false and defamatory" and demanding a published retraction as well as asking Dohrmann to reveal his sources. That letter can be found below.

http://deadspin.com/5889516/reeves-nels ... llustrated
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Although, in this society, allowing the inmates run the asylum is SOP, the idea that it can produce consistent success is counter-intuitive.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Well, reading the SI article I can't see the UCLA alumni allowing Howland to continue on when it seems like now would be an easy split all things considered as opposed to hoping he can change aspects about himself and the program. I'm inclined to think that BH turning into a "disciplinarian" is a recipe for two black eyes instead of just one.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I'm guessing some of you have your head way in the sand if you don't think every program has guys come through from time to time who act the same way UCLA players where acting. These kids are told how great they are from 3rd grade and given everything they want, of course some will be a holes later in life.

Again Howland is a basketball coach who cares about basketball and basketball only, welcome to big time sports. Not every coach pays attention to what his guys do off the court, this is why the NCAA needs to allow university's to hire 2 more coaches who don't coach, but are basically there to watch out for the kids and "coach" them off the court. If Howland gets canned it's not because of this stuff, it will be because of his on the court product the last few years.

Do you think a coach who works 18hrs a day has time to babysit players as well? That's why the best teams have strong Jr and Sr leadership, if UCLA had a Sr who told these guys to stop acting a fool or they would be dealt with. Even when I was in the military we had to self police some douche bags who don't get it.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

As long as Guerrero(AD) is there Howland will be there too. If Guerrero has to fire another coach it will prove that he has sucked as an AD. Admitting that by firing Howland will cost Guerrero his job as well. Likely they'll both be forced out after the year
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

buckmarkduck wrote:I'm guessing some of you have your head way in the sand if you don't think every program has guys come through from time to time who act the same way UCLA players where acting. These kids are told how great they are from 3rd grade and given everything they want, of course some will be a holes later in life.

Again Howland is a basketball coach who cares about basketball and basketball only, welcome to big time sports. Not every coach pays attention to what his guys do off the court, this is why the NCAA needs to allow university's to hire 2 more coaches who don't coach, but are basically there to watch out for the kids and "coach" them off the court. If Howland gets canned it's not because of this stuff, it will be because of his on the court product the last few years.

Do you think a coach who works 18hrs a day has time to babysit players as well? That's why the best teams have strong Jr and Sr leadership, if UCLA had a Sr who told these guys to stop acting a fool or they would be dealt with. Even when I was in the military we had to self police some douche bags who don't get it.
In all honesty, did you read the article? It's okay if you didn't, we all comment sometimes only based on what other people are saying. But if you think it's okay to allow one of your players to intentionally injure your players during practice, for example, you suffer from the same lack of judgment that Howland does.