Oregon @ Oregon State (Beavers sweep series 3-0)

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

oregontrack
All Pac-12

Re: Oregon @ Oregon State (3 game weekend series)

Post by oregontrack »

duckgrad99 wrote:If Oregon plays like this in the regional they will lose. It's been an amazing season so far, but this sweep really puts a damper on things. It will be really dissapointing if they cannot advance to the next round.
i want to both agree and disagree with this. naturally, it WOULD be disappointing to not advance; i mean, after all, we will be hosting, and it's what is expected of us.

but we're also in trouble if our regional round goes more than three games. people in this thread were complaining about jeff gold, but who is going to pitch if we need a 4th starter? we better pray keudell can bounce back on short rest, or that thorpe/sherfy weren't used much and can see extended action. tessar's injury is BY FAR the most painful injury we've been dealt this year. he's a good #3, and pushed gold to the #4 spot, where he's much more suited. there is a VERY real possibility that jordan spencer will start in a do-or-die game four for us, and that's terrifying.

though it's 'expected' of us, i do think even advancing out of the eugene regional will be a fairly big deal for this team.
ImageImageImageImageImage
frogsnouts
Three Star Recruit

Post by frogsnouts »

Can't we throw Gold the first game and Keudell the second? It seems like a real waste to use Keudell on Missouri State/Sacred Heart/whoever. I feel like Gold could handle them fairly easily.

And frankly, Oregon State is probably better than the teams we will be facing in the regional, so I'm not all that worried. The sweep should wake them up.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

frogsnouts wrote:Can't we throw Gold the first game and Keudell the second? It seems like a real waste to use Keudell on Missouri State/Sacred Heart/whoever. I feel like Gold could handle them fairly easily.
yes, we can. in 2010 we threw zach thornton (our #3) against uconn in the opener, in order to save tyler anderson for florida state.

it's not a bad strategy, assuming gold can come through with the goods. it'll really depend who our matchup is. is our opening night opponent just so happens to have an elite arm, it may be risky.

an argument for pitching keudell in the opener would be if horton plans on using him on short rest in a potential game four or five. we obviously can't get two starts out of ak if we throw him after game one.

who knows, though. it's an interesting chess match.
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

frogsnouts wrote:Can't we throw Gold the first game and Keudell the second? It seems like a real waste to use Keudell on Missouri State/Sacred Heart/whoever. I feel like Gold could handle them fairly easily.

And frankly, Oregon State is probably better than the teams we will be facing in the regional, so I'm not all that worried. The sweep should wake them up.
I would have thought the first loss to OSU would have woken em up...and if not the first, then definitely the second.....Getting swept is crazy....
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Oregon @ Oregon State (Beavers sweep series 3-0)

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Swept by your biggest rival and lost the Pac-12 title... Motivation to kick butt in the NCAA tournament.

Go Ducks!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Re: Oregon @ Oregon State (Beavers sweep series 3-0)

Post by oregontrack »

baseball is not like other sports. a team is only as good as whoever takes the mound for them on a given day. austin peay had the advantage friday, we won anyway.