NBA Free Agency Thread

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: NBA Free Agency Thread

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Hornets S n T for Ryan Anderson. If they can get Eric Gordon back, they will have a great young core moving forward. And Rashard Lewis' contract is coming off the books soon, that'll be a ton of cap to play with. Great rebuilding job.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Hornets S n T for Ryan Anderson. If they can get Eric Gordon back, they will have a great young core moving forward. And Rashard Lewis' contract is coming off the books soon, that'll be a ton of cap to play with. Great rebuilding job.
Landing the #1 pick sure helps.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

greenyellow wrote:
Boom wrote:I kind of hope we sign and trade Batum and hold onto our cap space for James Harden next year.
I think they're keeping Batum so Harden is out of the question. Maybe they make a run at Lopez as a stop gap center. The team has so many holes right now that next year is probably going to be another throwaway year without some serious help. Plus with next year's draft being very shallow, Portland won't get much help there.
It's hard to tell... I think both sides are posturing.

If Batum doesn't get an offer sheet... and they can't get him to sign a much lower deal (7-8 mil). Then I hope he plays for the qualifying offer next season. I believe that would give them enough room to offer Harden a near max.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

RanDux wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:Hornets S n T for Ryan Anderson. If they can get Eric Gordon back, they will have a great young core moving forward. And Rashard Lewis' contract is coming off the books soon, that'll be a ton of cap to play with. Great rebuilding job.
Landing the #1 pick sure helps.
True, but they put themselves in a position to have a top pick with some luck of course. Just saying though, the 180 they have done has been impressive. They will have so much cap next season to sign some players.

Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

https://twitter.com/jwquick/status/222444459491721219
Blazers' free agent plan is Hibbert or nothing, GM Olshey says. Focus now turns to trades, where Blazers can make an uneven financial deal
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Boom wrote:https://twitter.com/jwquick/status/222444459491721219
Blazers' free agent plan is Hibbert or nothing, GM Olshey says. Focus now turns to trades, where Blazers can make an uneven financial deal
So basically they'll suck again next year to try to improve through a very shallow 2013 NBA Draft. This is basically what happens when you have such a dysfunctional front office and owner.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

greenyellow wrote:
Boom wrote:https://twitter.com/jwquick/status/222444459491721219
So basically they'll suck again next year to try to improve through a very shallow 2013 NBA Draft. This is basically what happens when you have such a dysfunctional front office and owner.
Not to mention we aren't going to be a top 5 worst team either with LMA and a few other solid guys on the court. We are stuck in limbo. A piece or two away from being a solid playoff contender, but also we are probably a player away from having a top pick in the draft.

Since we have LMA and he's in his prime, I'd lean towards trying to win now and not play this waiting game.

My 2 cents.

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

We'll see if Indy and Minny actually put the $ on the table. Everybody in the league knows Paul Allen has a fleet of Brink's Trucks when needed.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Duck07 wrote:We'll see if Indy and Minny actually put the $ on the table. Everybody in the league knows Paul Allen has a fleet of Brink's Trucks when needed.
But he's said that he saw throwing a ton of money didn't work so is now going to live within the salary cap to put a competitive team together.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

greenyellow wrote:
Duck07 wrote:We'll see if Indy and Minny actually put the $ on the table. Everybody in the league knows Paul Allen has a fleet of Brink's Trucks when needed.
But he's said that he saw throwing a ton of money didn't work so is now going to live within the salary cap to put a competitive team together.
What I mean is we'll see if this is just posturing from Indy and Minny or not in 26 hours. I don't see Minny actually making that offer to Nic and while Indy claims to have a similar offer on the table, I believe we get Hibbert whether its in a SnT or straight signing.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Duck07 wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
What I mean is we'll see if this is just posturing from Indy and Minny or not in 26 hours. I don't see Minny actually making that offer to Nic and while Indy claims to have a similar offer on the table, I believe we get Hibbert whether its in a SnT or straight signing.
Hibbert was told in the security line at the airport, on his way to Portland, that Indiana was matching the offer on the table. Soon afterward, he cancelled his flight and stayed in Indianapolis. I'm not so sure he's coming now. Olshey said they'd concentrate on lopsided trades with them now being able to take on loads of salary in any deal.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i'm tempted to just move aldridge for expirings and picks. as said above, we're too competitive with him.

not so sure i wouldn't resign batum, though. he's young enough to still be part of a major rebuild.
ImageImageImageImageImage
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

oregontrack wrote:i'm tempted to just move aldridge for expirings and picks. as said above, we're too competitive with him.

not so sure i wouldn't resign batum, though. he's young enough to still be part of a major rebuild.
A lot of Blazer fans are in the same boat with Aldridge. He'll make them competitive enough so that the Blazers will be relegated to low Lottery picks that won't get Portland anywhere near the competitive in the West.
bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

greenyellow wrote:
oregontrack wrote:i'm tempted to just move aldridge for expirings and picks. as said above, we're too competitive with him.

A lot of Blazer fans are in the same boat with Aldridge. He'll make them competitive enough so that the Blazers will be relegated to low Lottery picks that won't get Portland anywhere near the competitive in the West.
You can't trade Aldridge and hope your crappy enough to have a chance at the #1 pick. It's just a chance at the #1 not a guarantee. And even with a #1 there's no guarantee that player is going to be better than Aldridge. At some point you need to convince 3 top flight players to play for you. That will have to include some luck through the draft, keeping Aldridge, and convincing 1 other player as a free agent. Then you've got to fill in with semi-decent role players which for Portland probably means young guys that don't have the name or foreigners that they've drafted and can finally bring over.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

bellsduck wrote:
greenyellow wrote:

You can't trade Aldridge and hope your crappy enough to have a chance at the #1 pick. It's just a chance at the #1 not a guarantee. And even with a #1 there's no guarantee that player is going to be better than Aldridge. At some point you need to convince 3 top flight players to play for you. That will have to include some luck through the draft, keeping Aldridge, and convincing 1 other player as a free agent. Then you've got to fill in with semi-decent role players which for Portland probably means young guys that don't have the name or foreigners that they've drafted and can finally bring over.
The clock is ticking on getting the pieces together around Aldridge to contend in the playoffs. Portland just isn't going to get another couple top flight players through FA so drafting and accumulating trade assets is about their only hope.