Delusional

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

maxduck
Senior

Delusional

Post by maxduck »

Much like Joe Pa refused to believe his friend and assistant was guilty of heinous crimes the Paterno family is refusing to believe his complicity as outlined in the report by Louis Freeh and will conduct their own "investigation". Maybe it's genetic.

"We are dismayed by, and vehemently disagree with, some of the conclusions and assertions and the process by which they were developed by the Freeh Group," Wick Sollers, the lawyer for the Paterno family, said in a statement Monday. "Mr. Freeh presented his opinions and interpretations as if they were absolute facts. We believe numerous issues in the report, and his commentary, bear further review."

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/ ... freeh-data
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Re: Delusional

Post by lukeyrid13 »

They're only going to continue to bring his name up and drag it through the mud. Let him rest in peace and live with the damage that's been done and just worry/apologize to the victims. It's sad that they're trying to make JoePa the victim here and deflect the attention
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

Saw a show on ESPN and they more or less said the same thing...this report was this guys opinion. Some facts but some opinion. For what that is worth.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

It's pretty pointless to do. Everyone has already developed their own opinion, and everyone knows that they're just going to hire someone who was a faithful joepa supporter
gregspechtismyhero
Freshman

Post by gregspechtismyhero »

Absolutely can't stand the Paternos or their supports. Take down the statue, take down the program, exile that family from Pennsylvania. All the Paternos cared about throughout this whole ordeal is how it would affect what box seats they get. I'm sickened by these people, and whoever supports them is just as guilty for building a man into a spineless enabler. The football program needs to be shut down. They made their decision to cover everything up 14 YEARS AGO based on the fact that they would lose money, recruits, image, etc. So now that punishment needs to be returned ten fold. Every dollar they've earned through the program since the first reports of Sandusky having inappropriate contact with CHILDREN should be considered dirty money, and since it cannot be returned, they should be revoked of the opportunity to continue participating in the biggest business in the country. To me this is a no-brainer and it's disgusting that a group of people can be so selfish and continue to be revered for it.
In Helfrich, Frost, and Allioti we trust
Image (USA Today Sports)
AIM: hockeygoalie923
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

gregspechtismyhero wrote:Absolutely can't stand the Paternos or their supports. Take down the statue, take down the program, exile that family from Pennsylvania. All the Paternos cared about throughout this whole ordeal is how it would affect what box seats they get. I'm sickened by these people, and whoever supports them is just as guilty for building a man into a spineless enabler. The football program needs to be shut down. They made their decision to cover everything up 14 YEARS AGO based on the fact that they would lose money, recruits, image, etc. So now that punishment needs to be returned ten fold. Every dollar they've earned through the program since the first reports of Sandusky having inappropriate contact with CHILDREN should be considered dirty money, and since it cannot be returned, they should be revoked of the opportunity to continue participating in the biggest business in the country. To me this is a no-brainer and it's disgusting that a group of people can be so selfish and continue to be revered for it.
I hate to say it, because it would essentiall destroy the a cschool of higher learning, but I agree. They're going to argue that the got rid of everybody involved, but I'm sure there are still people there that are covering their own, or somebody elses, ass. The death penalty would be the best punishment for a school that has sat on some very serious and disgusting crimes.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

gregspechtismyhero wrote:Absolutely can't stand the Paternos or their supports. Take down the statue, take down the program, exile that family from Pennsylvania. All the Paternos cared about throughout this whole ordeal is how it would affect what box seats they get. I'm sickened by these people, and whoever supports them is just as guilty for building a man into a spineless enabler. The football program needs to be shut down. They made their decision to cover everything up 14 YEARS AGO based on the fact that they would lose money, recruits, image, etc. So now that punishment needs to be returned ten fold. Every dollar they've earned through the program since the first reports of Sandusky having inappropriate contact with CHILDREN should be considered dirty money, and since it cannot be returned, they should be revoked of the opportunity to continue participating in the biggest business in the country. To me this is a no-brainer and it's disgusting that a group of people can be so selfish and continue to be revered for it.
Did you read this recent article on Paterno in The New York Times? It certainly indicates your feelings about the family are accurate. For example...

In the end, the board of trustees — bombarded with hate mail and threatened with a defamation lawsuit by Mr. Paterno’s family — gave the family virtually everything it wanted, with a package worth roughly $5.5 million. Documents show that the board even tossed in some extras that the family demanded, like the use of specialized hydrotherapy massage equipment for Mr. Paterno’s wife at the university’s Lasch Building, where Mr. Sandusky had molested a number of his victims.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/14/sport ... ml?_r=2&hp
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

+1,000,000

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

This is obviously something that isn't in the NCAA rule book cause you'd never even imagine something like this could happen. That said I'm fine with them setting a precedent in this case. People were ready to throw down the hammer on Miami 12 months ago for taking a myriad of gifts and money. This is 10,000x worse than taking money and as sucky as it is for PSU fans they need to put them under some extreme sanctions
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

Keep the JoePa statue. Just turn it so it looks the other way.
Elduderino
Senior

Post by Elduderino »

squintsdd wrote:
I hate to say it, because it would essentiall destroy the a cschool of higher learning, but I agree. They're going to argue that the got rid of everybody involved, but I'm sure there are still people there that are covering their own, or somebody elses, ass. The death penalty would be the best punishment for a school that has sat on some very serious and disgusting crimes.
EDIT: Well I had a long dissertation written here that apparently didn't come through. So I'll have to really try to shorten this down.

I'm as appalled and saddened as all of the rest of you. I just think the Death Penalty for PSU would be a tragic mistake made out of understandable emotional outrage.

I think some sort of NCAA response is certainly warranted; but the Death Penalty, imo, would be an extreme and tragic decision. It would have impacts far outreaching the athletic department and do little to remedy the damage that has been done. I don't see how killing the program benefits anyone involved. It makes all of us feel better, but I'm not sure it does anything but harm people that had nothing to do with all of this.

I guess I'm more interested in healing and moving forward than I am in seeing PSU bleed.
Last edited by Elduderino on Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKA: CAgrown
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

I guess I may be in the minority but I don't think a 'death penalty' is in order for Penn State. I agree that the Paterno family is just beating a dead horse in hopes to save their fathers name and legacy (and lucrative retirement perks) but the 'death penalty' shouldn't even be considered. Normally, I tend to think that a more severe punishment is in order for most cases (Oregon/Willie Lyles included) but this is just something so different. As I posted in a different threat (Mark Emmert overstepping his bounds), a death penalty punishes everyone who had nothing to do with this. A one or two year death penalty would not only ruin the Penn State program (which I could care less about) but it would devastate the local economy that is dependent upon 100K people coming 5-6 Saturday's in the fall. Make the people who are responsible pay for this, not those who had nothing to do. This is one of the reasons I hate the NCAA. They always punish those who had nothing to do with what happened. Like in Miami, when those sanctions come down, they are going to hurt kids who were probably 14 years old when the infractions happened. Same with USC. Reggie Bush was a greedy SOB and while they haven't fallen off drastically, the seniors last year lost a shot at a Pac-12 title and BCS game because of something that happend 5+ years ago. It isn't fair. I understand the Penn State scenario is something that is so far out of the realm of extra benefits and whatnot, but the premise remains the same. Punish those responsible.
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

I can't even guess what the NCAA should do on this one. Glad I don't have to do their job in this case.

I do think that they need to hit their athletic department in a way that makes an example of them. Every school out there needs to know something like this can't be tolerated to any degree. I just don't know what that punishment is.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

Duck24 wrote:I guess I may be in the minority but I don't think a 'death penalty' is in order for Penn State. I agree that the Paterno family is just beating a dead horse in hopes to save their fathers name and legacy (and lucrative retirement perks) but the 'death penalty' shouldn't even be considered. Normally, I tend to think that a more severe punishment is in order for most cases (Oregon/Willie Lyles included) but this is just something so different. As I posted in a different threat (Mark Emmert overstepping his bounds), a death penalty punishes everyone who had nothing to do with this. A one or two year death penalty would not only ruin the Penn State program (which I could care less about) but it would devastate the local economy that is dependent upon 100K people coming 5-6 Saturday's in the fall. Make the people who are responsible pay for this, not those who had nothing to do. This is one of the reasons I hate the NCAA. They always punish those who had nothing to do with what happened. Like in Miami, when those sanctions come down, they are going to hurt kids who were probably 14 years old when the infractions happened. Same with USC. Reggie Bush was a greedy SOB and while they haven't fallen off drastically, the seniors last year lost a shot at a Pac-12 title and BCS game because of something that happend 5+ years ago. It isn't fair. I understand the Penn State scenario is something that is so far out of the realm of extra benefits and whatnot, but the premise remains the same. Punish those responsible.
It effects those that weren't involved, but in a case like this how do you determine who was and wasn't involved? Who would've ever thought Paterno was apart of this? obviously the kids lose out for the crimes of others, but everybody knows that there are still people at PSU that were invovled with all this that are keeping quiet so they, or somebody else, won't be implicated. The only way to know that you're punishing those involved is to punish the entire school.
Elduderino
Senior

Post by Elduderino »

Duck24 wrote:I guess I may be in the minority but I don't think a 'death penalty' is in order for Penn State. I agree that the Paterno family is just beating a dead horse in hopes to save their fathers name and legacy (and lucrative retirement perks) but the 'death penalty' shouldn't even be considered. Normally, I tend to think that a more severe punishment is in order for most cases (Oregon/Willie Lyles included) but this is just something so different. As I posted in a different threat (Mark Emmert overstepping his bounds), a death penalty punishes everyone who had nothing to do with this. A one or two year death penalty would not only ruin the Penn State program (which I could care less about) but it would devastate the local economy that is dependent upon 100K people coming 5-6 Saturday's in the fall. Make the people who are responsible pay for this, not those who had nothing to do. This is one of the reasons I hate the NCAA. They always punish those who had nothing to do with what happened. Like in Miami, when those sanctions come down, they are going to hurt kids who were probably 14 years old when the infractions happened. Same with USC. Reggie Bush was a greedy SOB and while they haven't fallen off drastically, the seniors last year lost a shot at a Pac-12 title and BCS game because of something that happend 5+ years ago. It isn't fair. I understand the Penn State scenario is something that is so far out of the realm of extra benefits and whatnot, but the premise remains the same. Punish those responsible.
Well put.
AKA: CAgrown