Emmert over-stepping his bounds?

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

UofDuck
Senior

Re: Emmert over-stepping his bounds?

Post by UofDuck »

Penn State will get nailed. No doubt about it, and rightly so. JoPa and co. were obligated to abide by the law and what is morally correct. They covered up the situation to directly benefit the football team, or not let the the football team suffer the consequences of the horrific actions of one of their coaches, and some of the school leadership knew about it and let it happen. As such, kid's lifes are screwed up. The NCAA has the right to punish Penn State on its statement that programs/coaches are to act in an ethical manner. If ever a program failed to do that, it was Penn State and JoPa.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Being able to field a collegiate football program is a privilege, it is not a right. Its contradictory to argue the possible effects on a persons life sans psu football when you consider the nightmare that was just allowed to continue because its psu football.

If ME/NCAA throw out the death-penalty and PSU doesn't play football for a decade, I've got no problem with it. They've got an elite volleyball program in state college, the psu fans can focus their energy there during the fall.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I think a 10 year tv ban is pretty harsh yet satisfactory punishment. It will make PSU irrelevant outside of State College and still doesn't totally hurt their fans like the death penalty would
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

lukeyrid13 wrote:I think a 10 year tv ban is pretty harsh yet satisfactory punishment. It will make PSU irrelevant outside of State College and still doesn't totally hurt their fans like the death penalty would
That is a great point, but with the advent of the B1G network, how do you do that without hurting who they are playing? TV has changed since the days of TV bans when only a few games aired each week. Interesting topic to consider. On the other hand, Penn State is a member of a conference and perhaps the conference needs to pay a piece of the penalty too? Not sure about that though.
Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Post by Zyme »

This issues turns my stomach, this program should be nuked and be disbanded. What they did was heinous and unforgivable. Systemic willful ignorance at the highest levels.
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Kill it. That program is the most toxic thing in collegiate athletics I've ever heard of.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Just heard on the radio, students are still rallying around the JoePa statue. They are even taking shifts to protect it from vandals or from being torn down. The fans of PSU don't deserve anyone's pity.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

4 year post-season ban.
$60M to a general sex abuse victims fund
1998-2012 wins vacated, Paterno now 12th coach by wins.
10 initial and 20 total scholarships each year for a four-year period.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Ouch.
Elduderino
Senior

Post by Elduderino »

Duck07 wrote:4 year post-season ban.
$60M to a general sex abuse victims fund
1998-2012 wins vacated, Paterno now 12th coach by wins.
10 initial and 20 total scholarships each year for a four-year period.
Glad to see the funding for abuse included. NCAA brought the hammer.
AKA: CAgrown
frogsnouts
Three Star Recruit

Post by frogsnouts »

I'll never understand taking scholarships from kids who had nothing to do with this and wanted to go to the school, but otherwise it sounds fair.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

frogsnouts wrote:I'll never understand taking scholarships from kids who had nothing to do with this and wanted to go to the school, but otherwise it sounds fair.
To me this isn't an issue. Thousands of kids each year don't get a scholarship to their dream school simply because somebody else was bigger, faster, stronger, smarter, etc. This isn't any different.
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

I think it's fair, but maybe I would have liked it more if it were tougher.

Either way, this program is irrelevant for the next decade.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Think Penn State will work the scholarship limits as well as USC has?
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

woundedknees wrote:Think Penn State will work the scholarship limits as well as USC has?
They can't appeal like USC was able to. USC being able to appeal and draw the process out helped them immensely in terms of planning, loading classes, etc. Penn State is screwed. That program is going down the toilet. Why would any upper echelon prospect go to Penn State at this point? No bowls, lesser talent around you due to the scholarship reduction, program has so much bad press around it etc.