Problems with Horton's contract

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

maxduck
Senior

Problems with Horton's contract

Post by maxduck »

No deal yet and the contract expires Sept 10. Depending on language it appears he wants a 30% raise, to around roughly 90% of the programs income.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.s ... _ge_2.html
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Re: Problems with Horton's contract

Post by Boom »

The program has no income... Baseball loses money... He's not worth the contract.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Boom wrote:The program has no income... Baseball loses money... He's not worth the contract.
I didn't realize the purpose of college athletic teams was to make money.
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

Tray Dub wrote:
Boom wrote:The program has no income... Baseball loses money... He's not worth the contract.
What does the "purpose of college athletics" have to do with a coaches contract.
TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

Tray Dub wrote:I didn't realize the purpose of college athletic teams was to make money.
It may not be the ultimate purpose, but it is definitely a part of the decision process. I hope we keep Horton, but I would understand if Mullens felt he wasn't worth that pay-raise from a financial standpoint. It would really hurt Oregon baseball, but we are committed enough to find a good manager.

By the way, I expect Horton to be the manager next year. This stuff will work itself out.

Going to miss the Maehl Man
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

insomuch that the program loses money you could argue no one is worth any contract and we should just scrap the whole thing again.

but, since we have a program and all, it's probably best to not half-ass it and just pay him. if not, get checketts back on a plane to eugene within the hour.

on a semi-off topic note, the san diego padres paid the university $20 mil ($2 mil/year for 10 years, paid up front) to rent out PK every summer. while the program itself loses money, like virtually all college baseball programs do, i'd like to see what our bottom line is when you factor in we basically get an annual $2 mil boost. i would be shocked if we didn't come out well ahead.
ImageImageImageImageImage
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

oregontrack wrote:insomuch that the program loses money you could argue no one is worth any contract and we should just scrap the whole thing again.

but, since we have a program and all, it's probably best to not half-ass it and just pay him. if not, get checketts back on a plane to eugene within the hour.

on a semi-off topic note, the san diego padres paid the university $20 mil ($2 mil/year for 10 years, paid up front) to rent out PK every summer. while the program itself loses money, like virtually all college baseball programs do, i'd like to see what our bottom line is when you factor in we basically get an annual $2 mil boost. i would be shocked if we didn't come out well ahead.
Not accurate. According to news reports Oregon received a one time payment of $2 million, equal to $100,000 each year.

The Ems and the university announced a verbal agreement on the deal in August, where the team was expected to pay $200,000 per year over 20 years. Giansante said the Ems would have agreed to pay $200,000 per year — a total of $4 million — or the $2 million right away and the university chose the latter option.

http://projects.registerguard.com/csp/c ... ds-pay.csp
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

pffft, i was only off by $18 million.

(good catch. i apparently butchered my attempt to read that column two years ago.)
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

I wonder if Basketball makes money when you consider operating costs of MKA and whatnot? Everyone knows (or should know) that at most D1 schools, Football subsidizes the rest of the athletic programs so I don't see what the big deal is. Does anyone really think Oregon State's baseball program was making money when it won back to back titles? Also, did anyone expect baseball to be profitable? We have had baseball for what, 3 years now, and have been to a regional final already. Pay Horton his money and keep the team competitive.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Boom wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:
What does the "purpose of college athletics" have to do with a coaches contract.
Is that a serious question? Isn't the point I was making pretty damn obvious?
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Duck24 wrote:I wonder if Basketball makes money when you consider operating costs of MKA and whatnot? Everyone knows (or should know) that at most D1 schools, Football subsidizes the rest of the athletic programs so I don't see what the big deal is. Does anyone really think Oregon State's baseball program was making money when it won back to back titles? Also, did anyone expect baseball to be profitable? We have had baseball for what, 3 years now, and have been to a regional final already. Pay Horton his money and keep the team competitive.
Pat Kilkenny, and to a lesser extent Joe Giansante, promoted the reinstatement of baseball with the prediction it would be profitable.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

maxduck wrote:
Duck24 wrote:I wonder if Basketball makes money when you consider operating costs of MKA and whatnot? Everyone knows (or should know) that at most D1 schools, Football subsidizes the rest of the athletic programs so I don't see what the big deal is. Does anyone really think Oregon State's baseball program was making money when it won back to back titles? Also, did anyone expect baseball to be profitable? We have had baseball for what, 3 years now, and have been to a regional final already. Pay Horton his money and keep the team competitive.
Pat Kilkenny, and to a lesser extent Joe Giansante, promoted the reinstatement of baseball with the prediction it would be profitable.
Kind of like MKA and men's basketball?
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Duck24 wrote:
maxduck wrote:
Even worse is women's basketball, can't imagine how much they are losing paying Westhead something around $500K a year. Kilkenny had many talents, ensuring long term financial solvency for the AD wasn't one of them.
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

Horton is already getting paid plenty of money.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.s ... _ge_2.html
"Horton's agent, Greg Genske, has asked for a five-year deal worth about $3 million over the life of the contract, according to a UO source with knowledge of the talks. The roughly $600,000 annual income would cement Horton's status as one of the highest-paid college baseball coaches in the country."

Oregon has countered with an offer similar to the first deal Horton signed in 2007 to revive the Ducks' baseball program from a 28-year hiatus. That agreement paid the former Cal State Fullerton coach a base salary of $450,000 a year, with incentives of up to $100,000 more, making him what was believed to be the highest-paid coach in the Pac-12."

"Oregon State coach Pat Casey, by comparison, has a base salary of $293,556, with bonuses and incentives of $155,000 more."
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

maxduck wrote:
Duck24 wrote:
maxduck wrote:
Even worse is women's basketball, can't imagine how much they are losing paying Westhead something around $500K a year. Kilkenny had many talents, ensuring long term financial solvency for the AD wasn't one of them.
indeed. at least horton is one of college baseball's best coaches, so even if someone thinks we're overpaying him, they'd have to concede we're paying for the best. westhead... blah.