USC....are you kidding?

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

QuackininBama
All Pac-12

USC....are you kidding?

Post by QuackininBama »

Kiff is desperate:
LOS ANGELES -- Linebacker Simione Vehikite has returned to the USC Trojans after a jail stint and is back on scholarship, coach Lane Kiffin announced Thursday.

Vehikite was recently released from jail after being ordered in May to serve a year following a 2011 car accident. He pleaded no contest to leaving the scene of an accident and driving at or above the legal blood-alcohol content and was ordered to pay restitution to the victim in the accident among other punishments.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/stor ... -time-jail
Duck24
Senior

Re: USC....are you kidding?

Post by Duck24 »

QuackininBama wrote:Kiff is desperate:
LOS ANGELES -- Linebacker Simione Vehikite has returned to the USC Trojans after a jail stint and is back on scholarship, coach Lane Kiffin announced Thursday.

Vehikite was recently released from jail after being ordered in May to serve a year following a 2011 car accident. He pleaded no contest to leaving the scene of an accident and driving at or above the legal blood-alcohol content and was ordered to pay restitution to the victim in the accident among other punishments.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/stor ... -time-jail
Come on man, we had Rodney Woods on scholarship. Remember...the guy who was involved in an assault the left a guy dead? I'm not going to get on Kiffin or USC for something that we as a program did as well. Only difference is our guys transgression left a guy dead.
Spartan54
One Star Recruit

Post by Spartan54 »

"Christopher O'Leary, 18, died after a beating at the party in Palmdale, Calif., on May 20, 2000. Woods, then 17, was originally charged in O'Leary's death, but those charges were dismissed when witnesses said he was not involved."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?id=1591504

Woods was charged for separate incident at the same party this assault occurred. USC looks pathetic with their dispensary measures for players, especially when Chip has sat best players for extended amounts of time (Masoli, Blount, Harris) for issues less than what this SC linebacker was involved in.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Spartan54 wrote:"Christopher O'Leary, 18, died after a beating at the party in Palmdale, Calif., on May 20, 2000. Woods, then 17, was originally charged in O'Leary's death, but those charges were dismissed when witnesses said he was not involved."

Woods was charged for separate incident at the same party this assault occurred. USC looks pathetic with their dispensary measures for players, especially when Chip has sat best players for extended amounts of time (Masoli, Blount, Harris) for issues less than what this SC linebacker was involved in.
Burglary, assault on national TV, DUI, 40 over the speed limit (Cop was nice and didn't hit him with reckless driving)...we have our own skeletons. I am not going to rag on a coach for allowing someone back after they've paid their debt to society. Kid spent how long in jail? Why kick him away like garbage when you can help the kid get on with his life, graduate and make something of himself?
stewbertwilloughby
Five Star Recruit

Post by stewbertwilloughby »

Duck24 wrote:
Spartan54 wrote:"Christopher O'Leary, 18, died after a beating at the party in Palmdale, Calif., on May 20, 2000. Woods, then 17, was originally charged in O'Leary's death, but those charges were dismissed when witnesses said he was not involved."

Burglary, assault on national TV, DUI, 40 over the speed limit (Cop was nice and didn't hit him with reckless driving)...we have our own skeletons. I am not going to rag on a coach for allowing someone back after they've paid their debt to society. Kid spent how long in jail? Why kick him away like garbage when you can help the kid get on with his life, graduate and make something of himself?
I'm sure the walk on who did nothing wrong and worked his ass of to earn a scholarship, only to have it taken away and given to a criminal feels the same way.
GO DUCKS!
AutzenMember
Five Star Recruit

Post by AutzenMember »

I can't help but wonder if this kid would have been brought back if all USC LB's were healthy...
Braveheart
Sophomore

Post by Braveheart »

AutzenMember wrote:I can't help but wonder if this kid would have been brought back if all USC LB's were healthy...
I'm sure the walk on who did nothing wrong and worked his ass of to earn a scholarship, only to have it taken away and given to a criminal feels the same way.
He would've. Like Kiff said in the article "He wouldn't have a very big role". His main impact has and will still be on special teams. IIRC LB Will Andrew (the only walk on who didn't get his scholarship renewed) was and still his higher on the depth chart as a back-up LB. From what I remember Simi was a back-up FB last season primarily, can't remember for sure. USC needs as many bodies as they can get, and it doesn't matter what quality player (especially on ST). That and Simi will graduate this semester. He wouldn't be able to get it without being on athletic scholarship. Will Andrew obviously can pay his way (which he's done since he's been at USC minus one season). Scholarships are on a year to year basis when it comes to walk-ons, and that's only amplified with roster restrictions.

I'll admit I was perplexed and initially didn't like the decision for multiple reasons (roster restrictions, Simi never really had a large role at USC, some backlash in the press, etc....), but I do like that the kid was given a second chance to get his degree. That's basically saving the his life right there. Hard to succeed in life with a criminal record.
snapt
Four Star Recruit

Post by snapt »

Woods turned his life around even though he fell short on graduating, Clownzano actually had a nice piece on him when the Blount crap went down. I'm not for having this kid back on SC's roster but if it helps him get his life together then oh well.
BOOF it!
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

We are also the school who tried to give Richie Incognito his 37th chance, too. I'm not real familiar with Simione's case and while fleeing a car accident is a giant no-no, it also is not sexual assault or armed robbery. Now if this was a Jeramy Stevens/Jeremiah Pharms situation that's a whole other story but this is a kid who has paid his dues. Now if he messes up again and Lane lets it slide, now we can discuss this. For now let's hope a young man has improved his character.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

Dude served his time...
uodux1212
Senior

Post by uodux1212 »

I know Bud is dealing with a hurricane and everything, but wheres he at? This thread clearly belongs in the Other Guys.

"How do we go from nine to one?" - Chip Kelly

“Our expectations are to win every game we play." - CK
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

uodux1212 wrote:I know Bud is dealing with a hurricane and everything, but wheres he at? This thread clearly belongs in the Other Guys.
I think you answered your own question