More USC rumors

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

maxduck
Senior

More USC rumors

Post by maxduck »

Possible story on Joe McKnight and few extra benefits according to rumors on some USC boards. From 247...

The Times is going to publish a story on Sunday, or so I have heard about Mcknight taking benefits from an agent when he was at USC.

It is true

As far back as 2008, I heard from a player on the USC team, that Joe's Baby Mama had hooked him up with a family friend who was hoping to be Joe's Agent after he left USC. At the time, I heard that Joe had moved in with the girl in an apartment on Wilshire that the dude was paying for.

I was blown away that Joe would do something so stupid while the NCAA was sniffing around, but I was also assured USC did not know about the arrangement, because Joe was using another address near campus

The next year I had some PM exchanges with another poster who asked me if I knew anything about what was going on. I told him I had heard Joe was living with the girl, but not much more than that.

He told me it was a LOT more. That he worked with this Schencter dude, or whatever his name was and the guy was convinced that Joe was going to hire him as his agent and my friend said he told him he was a dumbshit for believing Joe would keep his word, but the guy wouldn't listen

In 2009 I heard Pete Carroll called Joe in and asked him if there was something going on he needed to know about and Joe told hime No and I am pretty sure he moved back to the USC area. and spent that season living with a teammate and riding a bicycle. I know I saw him riding it a few times during that year.

When the whole Land Rover story broke, USC declared Joe ineligible until the NCAA ruled about his situation.

He was cleared, but not allowed to play in the Bowl game

I heard from several sources that PC wanted to use him, but Mike Garrett said NO WAY, that kid needs to be gone, and that was the last straw for Pete.

So the NCAA investigated this situation and couldn't find anything, but I believe Joe was taking stuff from the guy because I was told about it while it was going on.

But as far as I know, it had nothing to do with USC

LA is a town FULL of agents or wannabe agents. USC is like a Gold Mine for them, and they are ALWAYS working their angles. I personally heard an agent approach one of our Line Backers after practice in 2008 or 2009 and the kid just ignored him. Maybe because I was standing there. Don't know.

But get ready, because the Times is going to milk this for all it is worth

http://usc.247sports.com/Board/29/Lets- ... 11865489/1
briarduck
Senior

Re: More USC rumors

Post by briarduck »

There needs to be a way to go after players, the schools can only do so much to monitor these guys.
GO DUCKS!! WTD!
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I'll withhold judgement on any internet rumors, even if from a SC site. I think us UO fans have learned how stupid internet rumors can be, and how fast the can explode to make a team look guilty even if false.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

briarduck wrote:There needs to be a way to go after players, the schools can only do so much to monitor these guys.
No laws were broken. What would you propose they do?
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

seems like a lot of maybe's and conjecture. I doubt anything tangible ever really comes of this
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

buckmarkduck wrote:I'll withhold judgement on any internet rumors, even if from a SC site. I think us UO fans have learned how stupid internet rumors can be, and how fast the can explode to make a team look guilty even if false.
I can't agree more

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Braveheart
Sophomore

Post by Braveheart »

That's info/rumors that everybody (at least a USC fan somewhat in the know) speculated back then. If this was a serious issue, the NCAA would've added it to our sanctions considering we were still being investigated at the time. lol
briarduck
Senior

Post by briarduck »

Boom wrote:
briarduck wrote:There needs to be a way to go after players, the schools can only do so much to monitor these guys.
Agreed Boom but that's the question I'm stating it's just not fair to the schools unless the school/coaches have something to do with it I'm not in favor of some of these punishments being handed out but I agree it just pisses me off!
GO DUCKS!! WTD!
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Here is athletic director Pat Haden's response today regarding charges that former athletes Joe McKnight and Davon Jefferson received improper benefits from Scott Schenter, a former employee in the Los Angeles County Assessor's Office.

When allegations regarding Joe McKnight's use of a Land Rover arose in 2009, USC fully investigated the matter. All of the information related to the investigation was sent to the NCAA. The NCAA staff accepted the report, and no violation was processed.

"We have just learned of new allegations presented by a reporter from the Los Angeles Times. We have discussed those allegations with the NCAA and PAC-12, and we will thoroughly investigate them and take any and all necessary actions.

[urlhttp://www.insidesocal.com/usc/archives/2012/0 ... ponse.html][/url]
Braveheart
Sophomore

Post by Braveheart »

Well, we'll see what happens.
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

briarduck wrote:
Boom wrote:
Agreed Boom but that's the question I'm stating it's just not fair to the schools unless the school/coaches have something to do with it I'm not in favor of some of these punishments being handed out but I agree it just pisses me off!
Seems like it would be pretty easy to set up. Have the athletes sign a contract with the NCAA. In order to make them eligible for NCAA sanctioned competition/visits/etc. they agree not to violate the rules.

If they violate the rules like this the NCAA could go after them for breach of contract.
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

Nothing should happen to USC here.

Scott Schenter is a UW grad and athletic booster. Imo, UW is the the school that should be penalized. :D
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
uodux1212
Senior

Post by uodux1212 »

uostudent wrote:Nothing should happen to USC here.

I hope not, the PAC 12/Oregon needs SC to be a revelant presence in the conf. We're all better off with them NOT on sanctions.

"How do we go from nine to one?" - Chip Kelly

“Our expectations are to win every game we play." - CK
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

The way things are going, USC could ended fieding a 35 man team... Of course they would all be 5 stars.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Elduderino
Senior

Post by Elduderino »

wheaton4prez wrote:
briarduck wrote:
Boom wrote:
Seems like it would be pretty easy to set up. Have the athletes sign a contract with the NCAA. In order to make them eligible for NCAA sanctioned competition/visits/etc. they agree not to violate the rules.

If they violate the rules like this the NCAA could go after them for breach of contract.
I'm not sure the NCAA wants to open this door.
AKA: CAgrown