NLI Signings?

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

uosportsguy01
Two Star Recruit

NLI Signings?

Post by uosportsguy01 »

Is there a reason why Oregon hasn't published their 2013 NLI signings? All 11 baseball programs in Pac 12 have their signings on their websites except Oregon, Stanford and USC ( but USC has most of them on their twitter site). Just find it odd no mention...

In searching thru internet, I've come up with about 10 signings but nothing "official" from Oregon.

Anyone else find this odd?
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Re: NLI Signings?

Post by oregontrack »

an outstanding question, not sure why the university hasn't come out and posted something. i've been following along with Perfect Game's commitment list:

http://www.perfectgame.org/College/Coll ... ments.aspx

we've scored big with a couple dynamite local pitchers, brett nielson (sheldon) and joe schindler (south eugene). they're almost exclusively ranked the #2 and #3 prospects in the state. i believe we're still in play for matthew decker (jesuit), considered to be the top prospect, or at least he was at one time (baseball recruiting can be difficult to follow). he's a 6'5, 200 pound monster behind the plate.

but nielson and schindler are huge gets, assuming Perfect Game is correct. those two, sam johnson (westview), jordan spencer (beaverton)... these are kids who would have gone to osu in a heartbeat a few years ago. we're making strides. sucked losing andrew moore (north eugene) to the beavs last cycle, he's going to be great.
ImageImageImageImageImage
uosportsguy01
Two Star Recruit

Post by uosportsguy01 »

Thanks for link to Perfect Game site. Are those confirmed?
uosportsguy01
Two Star Recruit

Post by uosportsguy01 »

oregontrack wrote:an outstanding question, not sure why the university hasn't come out and posted something. i've been following along with Perfect Game's commitment list:

http://www.perfectgame.org/College/Coll ... ments.aspx

we've scored big with a couple dynamite local pitchers, brett nielson (sheldon) and joe schindler (south eugene). they're almost exclusively ranked the #2 and #3 prospects in the state. i believe we're still in play for matthew decker (jesuit), considered to be the top prospect, or at least he was at one time (baseball recruiting can be difficult to follow). he's a 6'5, 200 pound monster behind the plate.

but nielson and schindler are huge gets, assuming Perfect Game is correct. those two, sam johnson (westview), jordan spencer (beaverton)... these are kids who would have gone to osu in a heartbeat a few years ago. we're making strides. sucked losing andrew moore (north eugene) to the beavs last cycle, he's going to be great.
I did receive confirmation from Coach Uhlman that the list oregontrack pointed to on Perfect Game is accurate. Looks to be 19 NLI signings (so big class), with the breakout being 9 pitchers (6 rhp, 3 lhp), 5 infielders, 2 catchers and 3 outfielders.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

good to hear. perfect game is typically a fairly reliable site.

here's hoping most of this class sticks together and makes it to eugene... our current junior class makes up 47% of the roster and, according to my depth chart (still working on that preseason blog!) we're going to have some massive holes to fill once they leave (for some, like ryon healy, that will likely be after this season -- same for christian jones, and jimmy sherfy, to name a few).

our sophomore class has talent and has already provided some starters, but our incoming freshman class got rocked by the mlb draft and is very small (6 true, with 3 redshirts held over from last year). we need the high school class of 2013 to deliver (and that's not to say this year's freshman class won't... quality/quantity, and all that).

if your'e wondering, here's my initial depth chart going into the season:

2B aaron payne, jr
lf brett thomas, jr
1b ryon healy, jr
c shaun chase, so
rf kyle garlick, jr
dh ryan hambright, sr
3b scott heineman, so
cf steven packard, so
ss jj altobelli, sr

rhp jake reed, so
lhp christian jones, jr
rhp brando tessar, jr
rhp jeff gold, jr

rhp jimmy sherfy, jr
lhp tommy thorpe, so
rhp cole wiper, fr

the register-guard usually starts putting out baseball stuff on the first day of practice, so i'll post my preview blog a month before the first game as to show i'm not just cutting/pasting from their stuff, lol.
uosportsguy01
Two Star Recruit

Post by uosportsguy01 »

oregontrack wrote:good to hear. perfect game is typically a fairly reliable site.

here's hoping most of this class sticks together and makes it to eugene... our current junior class makes up 47% of the roster and, according to my depth chart (still working on that preseason blog!) we're going to have some massive holes to fill once they leave (for some, like ryon healy, that will likely be after this season -- same for christian jones, and jimmy sherfy, to name a few).

our sophomore class has talent and has already provided some starters, but our incoming freshman class got rocked by the mlb draft and is very small (6 true, with 3 redshirts held over from last year). we need the high school class of 2013 to deliver (and that's not to say this year's freshman class won't... quality/quantity, and all that).

2B aaron payne, jr
lf brett thomas, jr
1b ryon healy, jr
c shaun chase, so
rf kyle garlick, jr
dh ryan hambright, sr
3b scott heineman, so
cf steven packard, so
ss jj altobelli, sr

rhp jake reed, so
lhp christian jones, jr
rhp brando tessar, jr
rhp jeff gold, jr

rhp jimmy sherfy, jr
lhp tommy thorpe, so
rhp cole wiper, fr

the register-guard usually starts putting out baseball stuff on the first day of practice, so i'll post my preview blog a month before the first game as to show i'm not just cutting/pasting from their stuff, lol.
As evidenced by all my recent comments, along with being very bored lately..., I'm also really excited for baseball season to start. I have little interest in basketball and football wraps up in a couple days, so I've turned my attention to this years baseball team.

I like your list above and can input some observations of my own based on conversations I've had about how fall practices went.

Wiper and Jones are both now throwing and hopefully will be ready for season to start. You can probably add freshman Irvin into the pitching mix along with jc transfer Crum (who like Jones / Wiper, recovering from TJ. He has high upside). Chase has won catchers job though they looked at converting Heineman (his brother was catcher at UCLA and just drafted this summer so background there in family). Came down with knee issues, so they sort of shelved the idea for now. Heineman's in mix at 3rd, though Hambright is slotted there after fall.

Payne had surgery in August (torn labrum in arm) and is just now coming back and swinging a bat. The freshman Tolman got a lot of play time there and held his own, though job is obviously Payne's when he's ready to go. In the outfield, Packard has struggled (along with Hoffman). If season started now (which obviously it doesn't), it would be Thomas in left, freshman Catalano in center and JC transfer Baumgartner in right (he's looked really good). Garlick DH, Healy 1st, JJ at short.

It'll be interesting how much it changes in January, but it looks like they have some depth and if arms can get healthy, they're deserving of the high preseason ranking. They should do well.

Need to generate more runs.... Big reason Wasikowski brought in was for that exact reason, he's known for developing hitting. That Arizona team which won WS last year was a Wasikowski recruited team, so he has the background. Hopefully now with a full year at Oregon, his teaching and new recruits can score more.

I'm looking forward to your preview blog on the season!
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

that's some outstanding stuff. i'm just a dude with a keyboard with practically zero insight into the program, i just write about what i see. hell, i had no idea payne even had surgery.

i figured packard might be slow out of the gates. hopefully he gets back into the swing of things, i thought he was outstanding in 2010.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

oregontrack wrote:good to hear. perfect game is typically a fairly reliable site.

2B aaron payne, jr
lf brett thomas, jr
1b ryon healy, jr
c shaun chase, so
rf kyle garlick, jr
dh ryan hambright, sr
3b scott heineman, so
cf steven packard, so
ss jj altobelli, sr

rhp jake reed, so
lhp christian jones, jr
rhp brando tessar, jr
rhp jeff gold, jr

rhp jimmy sherfy, jr
lhp tommy thorpe, so
rhp cole wiper, fr

Honestly, our batting lineup still looks really good. Oregon reloads very well this year imo.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13