Aaron Gordon puts Oregon back on his list!

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Greenblood
Senior

Re: Aaron Gordon puts Oregon back on his list!

Post by Greenblood »

At least he didn't go to UW. (No doubt many of their fans are saying, "At least he didn't go to Oregon.")
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I can handle players going to Arizona because that's the norm and expected, but anyone going to UW makes no sense, especially considering their play as of late.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Didn't exactly set the PAC on fire, this season, did they?
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

The more I think about this the more I feel that while we're sitting here saying "look who zona has returning, why?" AG probably views it more as "look at who we're losing" which feels crappy. Oh well, time to beat the Cats again
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Duck07 wrote:The more I think about this the more I feel that while we're sitting here saying "look who zona has returning, why?" AG probably views it more as "look at who we're losing" which feels crappy. Oh well, time to beat the Cats again

True, but you can argue that Artis, Dotson, Gordon and Bell could have been the best starting bunch in the pac-12. Hope Gordon doesn't cry if he doesn't get the major minutes he would have gotten at Oregon.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Oregon finished a close second, behind Arizona, because he felt Arizona had a deeper team to compete for a NC right away.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pac-12/index. ... cart_river
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

greenyellow wrote:Oregon finished a close second, behind Arizona, because he felt Arizona had a deeper team to compete for a NC right away.

I can understand that, but then he shouldn't have said anything about playing time being a factor. He likely would have gotten more playing time at all 3 of the other schools.
Kyle's Brother
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kyle's Brother »

Arizona isn't winning a national title anytime soon. Looks like Miller was able to sell him on that though.

I look at a few of their players, like Nick Johnson, and just can't understand the hype.

Luckily recruiting sites don't have anything to do with how players perform. I like the diversity in the class we have coming in, and I think we're actually going to be a better team next year. Losing Kazemi is big, but we have players capable of replacing the production of EJ, Carlos, and Tony. Hopefully with fewer turnovers. And I maintain that we have the best backcourt in the conference next season. Especially with Loyd's transition from substandard backup to a consistently solid contributor.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

duckgrad99 wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Oregon finished a close second, behind Arizona, because he felt Arizona had a deeper team to compete for a NC right away.

I can understand that, but then he shouldn't have said anything about playing time being a factor. He likely would have gotten more playing time at all 3 of the other schools.
The PT thing is now looking like it played a minor role. It's more like he was looking for a school that could win early and get him to the NBA faster. Arizona will be in the limelight next year (and deservedly so) while Oregon will be hoping to just make the NCAA Tournament. Gordon is most likely gone in at least 2 years if he lives up to the hype.

Oregon just needs to move on and keep building up the program. 'Zona is likely 12 deep due to their recruiting prowess and program positives while Oregon is going to need to scrape together a lineup that I bet even Altman has no idea how good it'll be. I could see Oregon finishing anywhere from 2nd to 7th in conference, due to all the new players again.
Kyle's Brother
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kyle's Brother »

greenyellow wrote:
duckgrad99 wrote:

The PT thing is now looking like it played a minor role. It's more like he was looking for a school that could win early and get him to the NBA faster. Arizona will be in the limelight next year (and deservedly so) while Oregon will be hoping to just make the NCAA Tournament. Gordon is most likely gone in at least 2 years if he lives up to the hype.

Oregon just needs to move on and keep building up the program. 'Zona is likely 12 deep due to their recruiting prowess and program positives while Oregon is going to need to scrape together a lineup that I bet even Altman has no idea how good it'll be. I could see Oregon finishing anywhere from 2nd to 7th in conference, due to all the new players again.
Why couldn't we win the conference? It's almost painful seeing our own fans selling us short just days after the season ended, even after seeing how good we were this year after "generous" projections had us finishing 7th.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Kyle's Brother wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
duckgrad99 wrote:

Why couldn't we win the conference? It's almost painful seeing our own fans selling us short just days after the season ended, even after seeing how good we were this year after "generous" projections had us finishing 7th.
I'm just not sure if Oregon can overcome losing so much yet not really recouping that talent from new recruits/transfers. Oregon got lucky this year that they were able to somewhat replace Sim/Jospeh with Artis/Dotson and Ashalou/Nared with Carter/Austin/Kazemi. I don't see the new players being able to produce what this year's SRs produced this year. Next year's team will only have 3 upperclassmen on the roster, leaving somewhat of a leadership vacuum that I really don't see the big SO class filling. Depending on so many new and young players is really going to test Altman's coaching abilities. Predicting anywhere from 2-7 is probably a good prediction since the team has so many question marks it'll need to answer.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

greenyellow wrote:
Kyle's Brother wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
duckgrad99 wrote:

I'm just not sure if Oregon can overcome losing so much yet not really recouping that talent from new recruits/transfers. Oregon got lucky this year that they were able to somewhat replace Sim/Jospeh with Artis/Dotson and Ashalou/Nared with Carter/Austin/Kazemi. I don't see the new players being able to produce what this year's SRs produced this year. Next year's team will only have 3 upperclassmen on the roster, leaving somewhat of a leadership vacuum that I really don't see the big SO class filling. Depending on so many new and young players is really going to test Altman's coaching abilities. Predicting anywhere from 2-7 is probably a good prediction since the team has so many question marks it'll need to answer.
I, for one, have no desire to return to the EK "Boom or Bust" cycle of yesteryear... And that is what your statement seems to insinuate will happen.

Altman has already shown the ability to spot and develop talent, as well as coach 'em up for playing as a team.

Methinks things may not be as bad as some predict.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

At least the officials should help us against Zona!
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Aaron Gordon puts Oregon back on his list!

Post by duckduckgoose »

woundedknees wrote:Hopefully, Altman can break the trend of major ballers who develop at Oregon High Schools (Yes, I am well aware that Gordon is not an Oregon product) migrating to programs outside the state.

For every Fred Jones, Maarty Leunen or Luke Jackson, there were 2-3 who never gave Oregon a serious look (The Stoudamire clan comes to mind). Some of the blame has to be placed at the feet of past coaching staffs, but it shouldn't be that difficult to sell what Altman is cookin'.

Continued success should help.
We had a Stoudamire on the team. Maybe not the best one, but a solid player.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

woundedknees wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
Kyle's Brother wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
duckgrad99 wrote:

I, for one, have no desire to return to the EK "Boom or Bust" cycle of yesteryear... And that is what your statement seems to insinuate will happen.

Altman has already shown the ability to spot and develop talent, as well as coach 'em up for playing as a team.

Methinks things may not be as bad as some predict.
I'm just not ready to say we're going to have another NCAA Tournament team on our hands when there's a lot to be answered with all the losses and new guys. A lot of things are going to have to go right if they are to be a tourney team again.