This offense sickens me.

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

This offense sickens me.

Post by OregonFan4Life »

This spread offense needs to go, the perimeter ball movement is just stupid. Plus the screens and spacing is horrible. I know a lot of people criticize me, but I don't think Altman is a good coach. Such Undisciplined play combined with sloppiness and horrible ball movement. Tony Woods got great positioning tonight but never got the ball passed to him, feels like I'm watching an Ernie coached team. Altman better stop with the crappy spread offense and let his players play more aggressively. Artis is important but this team shouldn't be struggling this much without him. Oh, and the plays out of timeouts are horrible.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Re: This offense sickens me.

Post by duckgrad99 »

It's not Altman. You're going from a top point guard in Artis to the worst point guard in the nation.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

duckgrad99 wrote:It's not Altman. You're going from a top point guard in Artis to the worst point guard in the nation.
That's still on Altman
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Loyd just can't set up the offense properly or force the defense to actually respect him. It's like playing 4-on-5 out there. I'm surprised Altman hadn't got another PG who could run his offense or at least not be such a liability out there.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Boom wrote:
duckgrad99 wrote:It's not Altman. You're going from a top point guard in Artis to the worst point guard in the nation.
That's still on Altman

B.S. You're just happy because you didn't like Altman from the start. He has still done an incredible job with this team.
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

duckgrad99 wrote:
Boom wrote:
That's still on Altman

B.S. You're just happy because you didn't like Altman from the start. He has still done an incredible job with this team.
:roll:
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

OregonFan4Life wrote:This spread offense needs to go, the perimeter ball movement is just stupid. Plus the screens and spacing is horrible. I know a lot of people criticize me, but I don't think Altman is a good coach. Such Undisciplined play combined with sloppiness and horrible ball movement. Tony Woods got great positioning tonight but never got the ball passed to him, feels like I'm watching an Ernie coached team. Altman better stop with the crappy spread offense and let his players play more aggressively. Artis is important but this team shouldn't be struggling this much without him. Oh, and the plays out of timeouts are horrible.
The offense worked when it had someone who could keep the floor spaced by being a threat to drive or shoot. Plus, it helps when the PG doesn't dribble into traffic, pick up his dribble, and then not do anything positive with the ball. Loyd seems to panic when he drives into the lane. Looks like he has regressed since getting the starting job. His confidence is all shot to h*ll.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

If you're saying that it's on Altman for recruiting loyd in the first place, then I agree about that.
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

duckgrad99 wrote:If you're saying that it's on Altman for recruiting loyd in the first place, then I agree about that.
I have no problem with Altman and his offense.

But it's pretty obvious having a 5-7 PG that can't finish in traffic or shoot opens jumpers kills our spacing on offense and makes us easier to defend.

That's why I'm so big on size and athleticism when it comes to recruiting.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Altman is a part of the reason Loyd has played poorly, because Loyd is trying to run an offense that he's not suited for. First this team needs to learn how to set a screen, then they need to learn to space properly. A simple pick and roll would work much better with Loyd. This spread offense is horrible with Loyd and I'm sick of seeing Altman stick with it despite this offense being so unproductive.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Altman is a part of the reason Loyd has played poorly, because Loyd is trying to run an offense that he's not suited for. First this team needs to learn how to set a screen, then they need to learn to space properly. A simple pick and roll would work much better with Loyd. This spread offense is horrible with Loyd and I'm sick of seeing Altman stick with it despite this offense being so unproductive.

Yes, but I'm 99% sure Loyd would be bad in any offense.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

duckgrad99 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Altman is a part of the reason Loyd has played poorly, because Loyd is trying to run an offense that he's not suited for. First this team needs to learn how to set a screen, then they need to learn to space properly. A simple pick and roll would work much better with Loyd. This spread offense is horrible with Loyd and I'm sick of seeing Altman stick with it despite this offense being so unproductive.

No he wouldn't, he's very quick and energetic, and with the right offense he's fine. Granted he's no Artis, but if Altman were to put in a difference offense which suits Loyd's strength (quickness and energy and NOT perimeter shooting like Artis) then the Ducks would be doing fine.

Also, it hit me tonight that I can't figure out why any quality big would want to play for Altman. Woods is big, athletic for his size, and skilled. He could be dominant, but Altman's offense is ruining him. He's not learning the proper fundamentals and despite his ability to get good positioning down low, he does not get the ball near enough as his team is passing the ball around the perimeter wasting a possession.
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

duckgrad99 wrote:

Yup.

Without a PG, Altman is going to have to be creative. Willie Moore isn't a shooter per say, but he's at least somewhat capable of putting the ball in the basket. Normally in a situation like this, you'd want to run your offense through your bigs if they are capable scorers. The problem is that Tony Woods is terrible passing out of double teams. Same with Austin. However, Arsalan Kazemi is an excellent passing big and has very good vision. Altman needs to pound it into Kazemi's head to be more aggressive offensively. In turn, he'll begin to draw more double teams, which will create more open looks on the perimeter for guys like Dotson, Singler, and Emory. Altman should also consider playing Carter alongside Kazemi. In very limited play, Carter has shown that he's at least capable of knocking down the open midrange jumper.

I've been watching the Clippers play quite a bit lately and without Chris Paul, they are at their best when they run their offense through Blake Griffin in the post. Everyone thinks that Griffin is just a dunker, but he's actually developed some postgame and has nice footwork. More relevant to this discussion however, is the fact that he's an excellent passer. Once Griffin gets going offensively, he consistently draws double teams which creates opportunities for guys like Eric Bledose/Matt Barnes to cut to the basket or shooters like Caron Butler and Willie Green to knock down open jumpers.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
duckgrad99 wrote:

No he wouldn't, he's very quick and energetic, and with the right offense he's fine. Granted he's no Artis, but if Altman were to put in a difference offense which suits Loyd's strength (quickness and energy and NOT perimeter shooting like Artis) then the Ducks would be doing fine.

Also, it hit me tonight that I can't figure out why any quality big would want to play for Altman. Woods is big, athletic for his size, and skilled. He could be dominant, but Altman's offense is ruining him. He's not learning the proper fundamentals and despite his ability to get good positioning down low, he does not get the ball near enough as his team is passing the ball around the perimeter wasting a possession.
The passing lanes to get the ball down low are now clogged with no competent outside shooter on the floor. Plus, the perimeter players are having a hard time handling any pressure put on them due to poor positioning and decision making. Plus, they haven't been accurate enough lately with entry passes to keep Woods or any of the posts in positions they like to do their preferred moves in the post.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Altman is too blame a little IMO. Very rarely is our half-court offense fluid...even with Artis in there. It was the same last year except we had Devoe to bail us out a lot of the time.

Altman is a fantastic coach, but our offense has never looked all that fluid or potent. Don't know if it's the talent, the coach, or a combo of both.
Last edited by Phenom on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.