Hadn't heard about this 2013 6'8" Juco guard

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: Hadn't heard about this 2013 6'8" Juco guard

Post by greenyellow »

Duck Territory is reporting Oregon just offered a 2013 JC SF today so this guy could it or its someone else entirely.

Edit: It is Jones that just got the offer.
Last edited by greenyellow on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Hadn't heard about this 2013 6'8" Juco guard

Post by duckduckgoose »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:Two deep is looking promising with Artis, loyd at PG, Dotson and Abdil Bassit at 2, Cook at SF, Bell and Carter at PF. That said our inside still has a hole with Austin really being our only guaranteed option, would love to land one more player especially one who can play the 5 and 4.

Man looking at that list the big Brazilian is key to our team next year, it will be rough with just Austin at C. Get him in and at a JC player like Jones who can play all three spots from C to SF, and we could go 9 deep next year. Nothing helps youth and inexperience like depth.
Agreed, the post position isn't too deep. And I'm not a big fan of Waverly, to be honest. Hopefully Felicio gets into UO, and can play some D/rebound right off the bat.
I really think Austin showed signs that he could be a good player. It takes time for some to adjust to the step up in competition. Both he and Wood looked like they were too rushed in everything they did offensively. Austin will take a huge step up next year, mark my words.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

I thought Austin was a better shot blocker than Woods too.
dthomas=ddixon

Re: Hadn't heard about this 2013 6'8

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Phenom wrote:I thought Austin was a better shot blocker than Woods too.
That's an interesting obvservation. My first reaction was to disagree but I thought about a little more & I actually think you're right. Statistically Austin is better, he had 29 blocks averaging 11 minutes a game while Woods had 40 averaging 21 minutes a game. And thinking back thru the season Austin had a lot more blocks on the guys he was guarding, I was surprised at his ability to keep his feet on the ground, stay straight up but get his hand on guys shot when they went up on him. In comparison almost every one of Tony Woods' blocks come from him helping weak side or swatting the shot of a smaller player who got by him. When guys went straight at him he either fouled or was scored on.

Austin looked really awkward out there at times but I think he has the ability to fill Woods' role pretty nicely. If anything he can be more solid than Woods was. He's not a scorer so we won't be forcing him the ball, he can put all his effort into blocking shots & rebounding.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

^
That's what it comes down too. Austin just looked awkward, clumsy (which is pretty big statement, considering Woods could be a clumsy oaf too). His offensive game is so painful to watch. I definitely think he will be a better rebounder than Woods. He's also a good shotblocker, but I feel like he's pretty mistake prone.

I guess we'll have to wait 8 months until we can really judge, but those are my impressions from what I've seen so far.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Woods seemed to me to be more athletic.
But that being said they would have a good game
then go invisible for a few games. No consistency
from either. Games where we had a distinct advantage
inside we did not use that advantage. Would love to
see Oregon have a consistent big man that can score,
rebound and block shots. That would really help the
offense out with the speed we have.
Kyle's Brother
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kyle's Brother »

How about luring Wally Judge away from Rutgers... :D
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

That is a full 13 right there, and 14 with the Jones/Gordon offer. I also think there is a roster limit of 15 players, regardless of the number of scholarships; is this correct? We have Baker, Luncenti, Armstead, and the Robinson twins on the team without rides. That puts Oregon at 19 total. If my math is right, that is a total of 4 players that will not be on the roster next fall.

greenyellow wrote:
Boom wrote:might as well use up that last roster spot
But I already think the roster is filled up, unless someone transfers or one of the new recruits doesn't get in, since there's only 13 scholarships allowed for MBB. Roster for next year (scholarship players only) looks like this:

SR: Loyd and Austin
JR: Abdul-Bassit
SO: Kuemper, Carter, Artis, Dotson, Richardson, Moore, and Cook
FR: Lapray, Bell, and Felicio

Throw in the Robinson twins, Armstead, Lucenti, and Baker and you really got a full bench.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

northbeachsf wrote:That is a full 13 right there, and 14 with the Jones/Gordon offer. I also think there is a roster limit of 15 players, regardless of the number of scholarships; is this correct? We have Baker, Luncenti, Armstead, and the Robinson twins on the team without rides. That puts Oregon at 19 total. If my math is right, that is a total of 4 players that will not be on the roster next fall.

greenyellow wrote:
But I already think the roster is filled up, unless someone transfers or one of the new recruits doesn't get in, since there's only 13 scholarships allowed for MBB. Roster for next year (scholarship players only) looks like this:

Throw in the Robinson twins, Armstead, Lucenti, and Baker and you really got a full bench.
I think 15 is the limit for the entire roster so there's going to be a juggling act to fit everyone. With Moore transferring, that opens up a spot for Jones if he wants it. If he doesn't, then I could see Altman getting the Robinsons and one of the remaining 3 walk-ons, although I believe Armstead will decide not to play BB next year.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

So with Moore gone, we are now down to 18 assuming we get Jones. Three more to go to get to 15. I honestly don't think Armstead or Kuemper will leave. We only have a total of 5 post players (PF & C), and that is counting Carter, which is a stretch. There will be minutes for everyone at PF and C next year regardless of skill, which is a little scary. There are still 11 guards / wings + maybe Jones (also listed as a wing despite his height), so likely some subtraction there?
greenyellow wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:That is a full 13 right there, and 14 with the Jones/Gordon offer. I also think there is a roster limit of 15 players, regardless of the number of scholarships; is this correct? We have Baker, Luncenti, Armstead, and the Robinson twins on the team without rides. That puts Oregon at 19 total. If my math is right, that is a total of 4 players that will not be on the roster next fall.

greenyellow wrote:

I think 15 is the limit for the entire roster so there's going to be a juggling act to fit everyone. With Moore transferring, that opens up a spot for Jones if he wants it. If he doesn't, then I could see Altman getting the Robinsons and one of the remaining 3 walk-ons, although I believe Armstead will decide not to play BB next year.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Jamal Jones signed with Texas A & M.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Weak.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Bummer.. Was really hoping we'd pick him up.

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Probably down to getting a SR transfer or staying put with what they have to finish off this team. Recruiting was real weak this year.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

greenyellow wrote:Probably down to getting a SR transfer or staying put with what they have to finish off this team. Recruiting was real weak this year.
If the Robinson twins were 100% committed to Basketball, I'd be much happier about this class. I think it's very difficult to gauge how much the will be able to play.