Question about Arik Armstead....

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

ducksrock
Senior

Question about Arik Armstead....

Post by ducksrock »

Does anyone know why he didn't see any playing time this past season? It seems that he has already lost one year of eligibility due to FB, hasn't he? Or are there other factors that play into his absence on the BB floor?
Please forgive my ignorance, but it seemed that he must have some serious BB skills, as I thought I read somewhere that he was MVP of No. Cal....or something to that effect....Any insight?
mdm0302
Freshman

Re: Question about Arik Armstead....

Post by mdm0302 »

he does have serious basketball skills. i know its just the rec center but he was stroking threes and pulling spin moves on guards. atlman was raving about his ability to pick things up so fast when he first joined the team and that he could turn him into a "really good player" with time. If i can remember right they basically redshirted him because by the time he was in basketball shape and had picked up the schemes it would not have been worth having him play
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Plus, Oregon already had their post rotation down. There really wasn't much PT to be had with him coming in late and having to learn the whole system so it was probably better for him to RS. Altman has acknowledged that BB is probably never going to be AA's future main sport and getting a couple years out of him is about what he's expecting.
mdm0302
Freshman

Post by mdm0302 »

greenyellow wrote:Plus, Oregon already had their post rotation down. There really wasn't much PT to be had with him coming in late and having to learn the whole system so it was probably better for him to RS. Altman has acknowledged that BB is probably never going to be AA's future main sport and getting a couple years out of him is about what he's expecting.
AA could be real good if he made bball his main sport, but im glad its football
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

mdm0302 wrote:he does have serious basketball skills. i know its just the rec center but he was stroking threes and pulling spin moves on guards. atlman was raving about his ability to pick things up so fast when he first joined the team and that he could turn him into a "really good player" with time. If i can remember right they basically redshirted him because by the time he was in basketball shape and had picked up the schemes it would not have been worth having him play
This is what I had understood also.....but, I suppose my question is more revolving around the RS issue....Isn't his RS already burnt for the year with his participation in Football? Maybe I am missing something here?
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

ducksrock wrote:
mdm0302 wrote:he does have serious basketball skills. i know its just the rec center but he was stroking threes and pulling spin moves on guards. atlman was raving about his ability to pick things up so fast when he first joined the team and that he could turn him into a "really good player" with time. If i can remember right they basically redshirted him because by the time he was in basketball shape and had picked up the schemes it would not have been worth having him play
This is what I had understood also.....but, I suppose my question is more revolving around the RS issue....Isn't his RS already burnt for the year with his participation in Football? Maybe I am missing something here?

You are, he has 5 years to play 4 years and playing in one sport doesn't effect another. Lots and lots of players have finished 4 years in one sport, only to play one year in another sport. My guess is someday he will get drafted in the NFL, but if that doesn't happen he has 4 years to play basketball.
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

buckmarkduck wrote:
ducksrock wrote:

You are, he has 5 years to play 4 years and playing in one sport doesn't effect another. Lots and lots of players have finished 4 years in one sport, only to play one year in another sport. My guess is someday he will get drafted in the NFL, but if that doesn't happen he has 4 years to play basketball.

So, basically, he can play FB for four years, and RS the first year of BB, thus allowing him 4 years to play BB over a period of 5 years...I guess I wasn't aware of this....I was apparently under the "assumption" that an athlete had four years to participate in athletics, period....As they say.....Never "Assume" anything.....Ass U Me.......Thanks for the explanation.....
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I can't remember the name, maybe Dudley, played 4 years basketball at tOSU then 1 year of football after he was done. Ended up getting drafted by the raiders.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

He's a freshman and he's likely not as good as Woods, Austin, and Carter

There's not many 6-8 300 pounders in college basketball.
mdm0302
Freshman

Post by mdm0302 »

my understand was that you where allowed to play 4 years over a 5 year span with all sports. Greg Paulis played 4 years of basketball at duke and then played 1 year of QB at Syracuse
mdm0302
Freshman

Post by mdm0302 »

ducksrock wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
ducksrock wrote:

So, basically, he can play FB for four years, and RS the first year of BB, thus allowing him 4 years to play BB over a period of 5 years...I guess I wasn't aware of this....I was apparently under the "assumption" that an athlete had four years to participate in athletics, period....As they say.....Never "Assume" anything.....Ass U Me.......Thanks for the explanation.....
basically if he never played basketball, assuming he doesn't get drafted, after his senior year of football (or rJR year) he would have one more year of basketball eligibility.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

You know, I had completely forgotten about Armstead. Is the guy any good in the post? He could actually provide some much-needed depth down there. Even if he basically filled the role that Carter had this year - that could be huge (no pun intended).
AutzenMember
Five Star Recruit

Post by AutzenMember »

buckmarkduck wrote:I can't remember the name, maybe Dudley, played 4 years basketball at tOSU then 1 year of football after he was done. Ended up getting drafted by the raiders.
This is exactly what Julius Thomas did at Portland State. He started for 4 years on the basketball team, then played one year at TE...a position and sport he had not played since his freshman year of high school. He was drafted by the Denver Broncos and is still with that team.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

How about this question in regards to Arik: If he doesn't have a breakout year on the DL, even with the loss of Taylor, Wade and Ricky would the coaches try to move him to OL? Would they try it after his JR year if he didn't look like a pro prospect on defense?
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

Duck07 wrote:How about this question in regards to Arik: If he doesn't have a breakout year on the DL, even with the loss of Taylor, Wade and Ricky would the coaches try to move him to OL? Would they try it after his JR year if he didn't look like a pro prospect on defense?
I hope so