Oregon Ducks Eugene Regional (vs Rice Mon 6pm)

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

ducksin2010
Four Star Recruit

Re: Oregon Ducks Eugene Regional (vs Rice Mon 6pm)

Post by ducksin2010 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
duckgrad99 wrote:This team will continue to go nowhere in the postseason unless they add more offense.
Oddly enough, it doesn't seem that lack of offense resulted in their season ending losses the last two years. Yes, it's a big need, but last year they lost off of errors and this year they lost off of inconsistent pitching. However, they do need to address the lack of offense. I personally think Horton may overdo the small ball. Who calls for a sacrifice bunt in the bottom of the 7th inning down 3-8?
If you're talking about Altobelli's bunt, that was a push bunt that resulted in a sac. They were playing for a bunt single there with the 2nd baseman playing in shallow right field.
uosportsguy01
Two Star Recruit

Post by uosportsguy01 »

greenyellow wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
thomas time wrote:I think Horton might need to change the small ball style, the ducks lack of offense is looking like the mariners, each looking pathetic the last four years.
Has Horton been doing small ball pretty much his whole career?
He has but also typically had more consistent hitters throughout his lineups that could drive in runs through either small ball or long ball. Only major threat for the whole season was Healy, unlike last season with him and Jones. Plus, the team had serious holes in the lineup when either catcher, Hoffman in CF or Hambright at 3B came up. Only reasons any of those guys played so much were because of injury and/or defensive puporses.
I'm assuming Garlick will be back next year and he was a big part of the offense in 12. Tied with Jones for lead in hr's and finished 1 behind Healy in rbi's. He got hurt 10 games into this season and didn't play the rest of the year.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

uosportsguy01 wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
thomas time wrote:I think Horton might need to change the small ball style, the ducks lack of offense is looking like the mariners, each looking pathetic the last four years.
Has Horton been doing small ball pretty much his whole career?
He has but also typically had more consistent hitters throughout his lineups that could drive in runs through either small ball or long ball. Only major threat for the whole season was Healy, unlike last season with him and Jones. Plus, the team had serious holes in the lineup when either catcher, Hoffman in CF or Hambright at 3B came up. Only reasons any of those guys played so much were because of injury and/or defensive puporses.
I'm assuming Garlick will be back next year and he was a big part of the offense in 12. Tied with Jones for lead in hr's and finished 1 behind Healy in rbi's. He got hurt 10 games into this season and didn't play the rest of the year.
If both Garlick and Thomas come back, then I expect the OF to be the strength of the team. You'd have those 2, Packard, Heineman (who could easily move to the INF), and Baumgartner. Easily would allow people to take days off from the field and just DH.
uosportsguy01
Two Star Recruit

Post by uosportsguy01 »

Starting weekend rotation will be the strength of the team (Thorpe, Irvin, Reed all return), but yeah, I get your point and outfield will definitely be loaded.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

uosportsguy01 wrote:Starting weekend rotation will be the strength of the team (Thorpe, Irvin, Reed all return), but yeah, I get your point and outfield will definitely be loaded.
I was just speaking in terms of position players. Pitching will continue to be a strength as long as Horton keeps recruiting well, although the draft could be killer for recruited pitchers. Also, looks like the catchers Oregon recruited are getting picked real early so it'll be interesting to see how that turns out.