Draft

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

oregontrack
All Pac-12

Re: Draft

Post by oregontrack »

greenyellow wrote:Really want him to show up at Oregon since I'm just not impressed with what Oregon has returning at catcher.
graham has a very high ceiling. i think you'll be more than impressed with him this time next season.
ImageImageImageImageImage
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

oregontrack wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Really want him to show up at Oregon since I'm just not impressed with what Oregon has returning at catcher.
graham has a very high ceiling. i think you'll be more than impressed with him this time next season.
Could just be that splitting time with Chase at catcher really didn't allow for him to show as much. Oregon needs the catcher position to provide some offensive punch in the lineup instead of being an easy out like it was for most of the year.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i think it was more that he was tasked with playing the game's most difficult and strenuous position. he had a bigger learning curve than any other freshman. i think offense was more or less an afterthought from him from a coaching standpoint. that should change. he's got some pop.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

karaviotis is huge. based on what we have coming back i think he's a shoe in to start. sounds like a plus defender with an aggressive mindset at the plate.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

oregontrack wrote:karaviotis is huge. based on what we have coming back i think he's a shoe in to start. sounds like a plus defender with an aggressive mindset at the plate.
Same. No diss to the other inside infielders we have, but they shouldn't be a match compared to Karaviotis.

My only concern is who plays at 1b and 3b, and will we have enough power this year with Healy out of the way.

The catcher position, especially offensively, was definitely a bummer this year. I wonder if Christy actually comes in and competes with Chase and Graham. I wonder if a position change for either is a possibility?

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

graham's a dynamite defensive catcher, i think he'll stay put. chase actually started over healy at 1B for a few weeks in 2012 (healy moving to dh) before chase fell off the map. if none of the newcomers step up i think chase is definitely a 1B candidate.

tolman is the easy call at 3B unless one of the newcomer is a defensive wizard and forces him to 1B or DH.
TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

oregontrack wrote:graham's a dynamite defensive catcher, i think he'll stay put. chase actually started over healy at 1B for a few weeks in 2012 (healy moving to dh) before chase fell off the map. if none of the newcomers step up i think chase is definitely a 1B candidate.

tolman is the easy call at 3B unless one of the newcomer is a defensive wizard and forces him to 1B or DH.
I totally agree that people are overlooking Graham's value from behind the plate. I was very concerned with how we would do defensively at catcher this past season, but Graham was dynamite. He may never be a plus hitter, but he will definitely improve.

Going to miss the Maehl Man
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Matt Krook turned down the Marlins & is going to play for the Ducks.

@jcrasnick: Pitcher Matt Krook, 35th pick in draft, has decided not to sign with #marlins and will attend University of Oregon.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

HUGE!
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

You know, not a bad day to be a Duck Fan.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:Matt Krook turned down the Marlins & is going to play for the Ducks.

@jcrasnick: Pitcher Matt Krook, 35th pick in draft, has decided not to sign with #marlins and will attend University of Oregon.
Wow. The Marlins probably were low-balling him and he decided he can wait another 2-3 years to get drafted again.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:Matt Krook turned down the Marlins & is going to play for the Ducks.

Holy! Sweet news!!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Have to think the Marlins may try to keep signing him. This could also be a negotiating tactic by Krook and his family to get a better deal. Just have to make it past July 12th to know he's coming here for sure.
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

greenyellow wrote:Have to think the Marlins may try to keep signing him. This could also be a negotiating tactic by Krook and his family to get a better deal. Just have to make it past July 12th to know he's coming here for sure.
Agree. Pretty sure this happened with Zach Lee and the Dodgers. Lee enrolled at LSU, but the Dodgers signed him before the deadline. Still think there's a good chance he signs (even after enrolling at UO)
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

greenyellow is right. that said, better this news than the opposite. easily the biggest recruit we ever got into school, if it happens.