Why hasn't Ernie Kent been hired yet?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Re: Why hasn't Ernie Kent been hired yet?

Post by Boom »

duckfan22 wrote:I think with Artis.Dotson,Carter them staying will help bring stability to the
program. They will help recruits when on visits see the program from a veterans
point of view. I believe in what Altman is doing. Oregon is going to be
a force to reckon with. The style is different then anyone in the conference.
Teams have to prepare for Oregon on both ends. Some so called experts are saying
Arizona and Oregon are the two favorites next year in the pac-12. Altman's teams always
seem to play hard. They always seem to play together very well. The stat i look at
is assists. Ernie's team always lacked here. Altman's teams are usually high in
assists vs what we had been. When assists are down means they did not play well or
together.
Well, I think the biggest improvement has been on the defensive side of the ball. Offensively we've been pretty mediocre. But I think that will improve with the development of Artis & Dotson.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

I agree boom. Ernie's teams were never very good on the defensive end.
Dana's teams get a lot of their offense off the defense. Their set offense is sometimes
like you say mediocre.
Elduderino
Senior

Post by Elduderino »

duckfan22 wrote:I agree boom. Ernie's teams were never very good on the defensive end.
Dana's teams get a lot of their offense off the defense. Their set offense is sometimes
like you say mediocre.
Oh you mean like the times we aimlessly swing the ball around the perimeter before a turnover?

I'm an Altman fan, but I agree the set offense can be infuriating time to time.
AKA: CAgrown
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

I would bet that Altman prefers us to be getting the
ball back defensively and running before we have to set
up. I agree it is infuriating. I will say this. Altman's offense moves the
ball around better. Ernie's idea was having a 5'6" porter standing out dribbling
then trowing up a wild shot or having it blocked offense. Those were really
infuriating. Oregon does well when they have a good flow on offense and
players moving. When they just stand around not so much.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

// shrug

i think it's all subjective to how well you shoot the trey. we averaged 74 a game in 2012-13 w/ Joseph and Sim shooting the lights out from range, and the offensive reviews were largely complimentary. we averaged 71 a game last year w/ a team that could struggle mightily from range and we focus on the long scoring droughts.
ImageImageImageImageImage
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

maybe p/eople who do hiring have realized that Kent is actually not that good of a coach and it was his players that made him successful not his coaching
pdxduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck »

Too many skeletons in the closet for Big Ern. From last April:

Colorado State's plan to hire Ernie Kent has been blocked by a high-ranking administrator and the school's coaching search is now back on, a source told CBSSports.com on Wednesday.

"It was done and somebody vetoed it," a source said. "Now Ernie is out."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... k-involved
tallfir
High School Drop Out

Post by tallfir »

I think a lot of the Ernie was the worst crowd don't remember how bad Duck basketball was prior to him taking over. Enrie's early teams played good defense--I remember high pressure defense all over the court, Alex Scales diving for balls. After Greg Graham left to coach Bosie State following the first elite 8 team, Kent never really replaced him. Fred Litzenberger can over from the women's side and was pretty unsuccessful. Ernie was never a great X and Os coach--certainly true. But a lot of people forget that Kent made the NCAA with Darius Wright at point guard--certainly not an elite player, and really not that talented of a team. Kent had a series of bad recruiting classes which really caused him to fail at Oregon in the 2nd half of his career. But I think teams could do worse--lots of coaches have issues in their personal lives.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

ernie inherited a 17-11 team that made the NIT and beat ranked arizona, ucla, and fresno state teams the year prior. let's not pretend he walked into a dana altman situation. he found the program in MUCH better shape than he left it. he had terik brown, ad smith, and jamar curry on his initial '98 team, it wasn't just a bunch of walk-ons or anything.

jerry green is the one who inherited a steaming pile.

darius wright wasn't an elite point guard, but that 2000 team was pretty talented. again, it wasn't like kent took a charity case to the tournament. it had tremendous senior leadership w/ ad smith and wright, alex scales was 1st team all pac-10, and both jones and bracey were nba draft picks.
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

oregontrack wrote:ernie inherited a 17-11 team that made the NIT and beat ranked arizona, ucla, and fresno state teams the year prior. let's not pretend he walked into a dana altman situation. he found the program in MUCH better shape than he left it. he had terik brown, ad smith, and jamar curry on his initial '98 team, it wasn't just a bunch of walk-ons or anything.
I completely disagree with this... It's not Ernie's fault that Pat Kilkeny had no F-ing idea how to go about hiring a coach... or that Altman couldn't convince them not to transfer... How many guys left the program when Ernie took over?

And even after the exodus... Catron, Single, & Sim wasn't exactly chopped liver.

And I firmly believe if Armstead had stayed his senior season then that team would have played in the NCAA instead of the NIT.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

fair enough, fair enough. you're right, the mass exodus largely happened in that irritatingly long amount of time after kent was fired and before altman was hired. i could have worded that better by saying "altman inherited a far worse situation than ernie did," rather than point the blame squarely on kent for leaving it the way altman found it. good catch.

as for altman's first team not being chopped liver, that was one ugly duck you're trying to sugar coat. it was picked to finish dead last in the pac for a reason. as garrett sim's sole defender for three solid years prior to everyone beginning to appreciate him his senior year, i've got to chuckle that you chose to include him as part of the 'talent' altman inherited. :)
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

Well, you did set the bar pretty low with Jamar Curry.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

for a guard who couldn't shoot i always liked him.
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

Also Kent having an affair didn't help his reputation on the team. I know for a fact that was an issue.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

justducky0 wrote:Also Kent having an affair didn't help his reputation on the team. I know for a fact that was an issue.