krook to start, reed to the bullpen

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

oregontrack
All Pac-12

krook to start, reed to the bullpen

Post by oregontrack »

steve mims put out a few tweets today after a horton press conference wrapped up fall ball.

looks like the weekend rotation will be thorpe, irvin, and krook. reed will be in the bullpen, or when need be, perhaps the 4th starter. horton says he'll battle cleavinger for the closer's role, but i think we all expect cleavinger to win that. still, cleavinger/reed/hunter/clayton in the bullpen? that's an impressive stockpile of arms, and doesn't even get into the unknowns that may emerge, like thorpe in '12 or cleavinger last year.

and as we speculated prior to the alumni game, heineman is back at 3B, tolman to 1B.
ImageImageImageImageImage
uosportsguy01
Two Star Recruit

Re: krook to start, reed to the bullpen

Post by uosportsguy01 »

Some good info there, thanks for posting.

Assuming Krook is everything he's been built up to be, our weekend rotation should be ridiculously filthy... 3 lefties to boot.

Did Horton mention anything about shortstop and where they stand there? Has anyone stepped forward? With Payne back, Tolman at 1b and Heineman at 3rd, I think we're solid, obviously ss is a huge hole defensively to replace (and important).

Outfield Garlick in lf, Baumgartner in rf and a battle in cf between Hoffman, Catalano and 1 of the freshmen (Grebeck?).

Does Graham have what it takes to step up full time behind the plate?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

At short, it was Kevin Minjares. He had a pretty solid summer league season in CA so I think Oregon should be good there.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Awesome, Krook is a stud and am shocked he made it to Eugene. I'm glad Reed got moved out, he's just not a starter. But good luck beating out Cleavinger. I see Reed taking a role similar to Jeff Gold.

What happened to our freshman SS? Any idea how he's been practicing?

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
uosportsguy01
Two Star Recruit

Post by uosportsguy01 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Awesome, Krook is a stud and am shocked he made it to Eugene. I'm glad Reed got moved out, he's just not a starter. But good luck beating out Cleavinger. I see Reed taking a role similar to Jeff Gold.

Don't we have 2 freshmen SS? Karaviotis from Hawaii and Houston from Chicago?
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Awesome, Krook is a stud and am shocked he made it to Eugene. I'm glad Reed got moved out, he's just not a starter.
this is a very strange and very untrue thing to say.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

oregontrack wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:Awesome, Krook is a stud and am shocked he made it to Eugene. I'm glad Reed got moved out, he's just not a starter.
In comparison to our other starters? How is that untrue?

Thorpe had a 2.16 ERA 87 strikeouts.
Irvin went 12-3.
Reed was 6-6 with a 3.50 ERA and had 65 strikeouts, despite pitching more innings than Thorpe.

And maybe I'm bitter too because of how he pitched against Rice with a chance to go to the CWS. I wouldn't pick him to start in a crucial game again.

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

uosportsguy01 wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:Awesome, Krook is a stud and am shocked he made it to Eugene. I'm glad Reed got moved out, he's just not a starter. But good luck beating out Cleavinger. I see Reed taking a role similar to Jeff Gold.

Don't we have 2 freshmen SS? Karaviotis from Hawaii and Houston from Chicago?
I was specifically referring to Karaviotis, but would be curious to know how both are doing.

oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
oregontrack wrote:
In comparison to our other starters? How is that untrue?

Thorpe had a 2.16 ERA 87 strikeouts.
Irvin went 12-3.
Reed was 6-6 with a 3.50 ERA and had 65 strikeouts, despite pitching more innings than Thorpe.

And maybe I'm bitter too because of how he pitched against Rice with a chance to go to the CWS. I wouldn't pick him to start in a crucial game again.

those stats you posted aren't bad, you're just comparing them to two of the conference's best pitchers. reed was better than most sunday guys last year. he had some well-document trouble with some of his secondary pitches. and it completely flies in the face of his incredible freshman year, where yes, he proved he was a starting pitcher. :D

you needn't be bitter about how he pitched against rice, we weren't playing for the right to go to the CWS. we lost in the regional round last year, we were playing to get to the supers. and if you remember back to last june, you'll remember it was reed who pitched a beautiful game in the opener and then was asked to pitch against rice on two days rest in the do-or-die finale. it's pretty balsy to blame a guy for not being ready on two days rest. if i recall, christian jones should have been given the start.

for what it's worth, reed also won a do-or-die game two in 2012 against kent state, giving the ducks a chance to get to the cws the next day.