Ernie Kent and his standing with our assumed AD

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

landoquack
One Star Recruit

Re: Ernie Kent and his standing with our assumed AD

Post by landoquack »

Just a thought, do you think EK would have been fired along time ago if he wasn't a Black Coach? It seems that Schools and some AD's fear being labeled a Racist especially in lou of whats been going on with everyone making a big deal that Black Head Coach's are poorly represented in NCAA Football. Since the U of O prides itself on being very diverse and having both a black mens basketball coach and a lesbian womens coach this seems to fit into there mold.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

landoquack wrote:Just a thought, do you think EK would have been fired along time ago if he wasn't a Black Coach? It seems that Schools and some AD's fear being labeled a Racist especially in lou of whats been going on with everyone making a big deal that Black Head Coach's are poorly represented in NCAA Football. Since the U of O prides itself on being very diverse and having both a black mens basketball coach and a lesbian womens coach this seems to fit into there mold.

Good question. I didn't think about that, but it's certainly a possibility.
janos
One Star Recruit

Post by janos »

I don't think the race card is in this deck. Ernie is still here because of his record. This year and last weren't good, but overall he has been very successful here by most honest evaluation.

The clip below is copied from e-Duck from a year and a half ago, so it's dated, but to me it says....Ernie is likely here through his contract...

Oregon is coming off one of the best seasons in school history. The Ducks were 29-8, winning 29 games for just the third time in school history and advancing to the NCAA Tournament’s Elite Eight for the second time this decade. In addition, Oregon is one of only 15 schools nationally to advance to two NCAA Regional Finals this decade (Arizona, Connecticut, Duke, Florida, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Memphis, Michigan State, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, UCLA).

The Ducks also won the Pacific-10 Conference Tournament for the second time under Kent, and Oregon is the only school in the league to have won that event twice since it was reinstated in 2002. Kent is now the all-time winningest coach in Pac-10 tournament play, posting a 76.9 winning percentage (10-3), ahead of Arizona’s Lute Olson at 72.7 percent (16-6).

In his 10 years at Oregon, Kent, 52, has posted a 193-120 record (.617) and ranks second all-time in wins at Oregon to Hall of Fame coach Howard Hobson, who won 212 games in 11 seasons. Overall in his 16-year head coaching career, Kent has a 283-200 record (.586).

During his tenure, Kent has produced three NBA first round draft choices and four All-Americans. He is the only man to have led Oregon to four NCAA tournament appearances in school history.

But I must agree, in my 36 years of watching Duck bball, this year is abysmal, and it's hard to watch. Mostly I feel bad for the kids.

p.s. Oh and as far as gay women coaching college basketball, that would hardly be unique to the UO would it? Actually kinda' cliche, lol...
alabamaduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by alabamaduck »

landoquack wrote:Just a thought, do you think EK would have been fired along time ago if he wasn't a Black Coach? It seems that Schools and some AD's fear being labeled a Racist especially in lou of whats been going on with everyone making a big deal that Black Head Coach's are poorly represented in NCAA Football. Since the U of O prides itself on being very diverse and having both a black mens basketball coach and a lesbian womens coach this seems to fit into there mold.

You've got to be kidding
seniorduck
One Star Recruit

Post by seniorduck »

THAT POST IS JUST WRONG IN SO MANY WAYS!!! :evil: