K. Mckenzie update I found

Anything that wont fit in any of the other forums

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

uostudent
Senior

Re: K. Mckenzie update I found

Post by uostudent »

For the most part, Phoenix is pretty crappy - very similar to Houston. Urban sprawl, crappy weather, relatively high crime rate. I live in LA and Phoenix has all of LA's bad qualities (the crime, the pollution, the traffic) but none of the good ones (the beaches, the weather, the good sports teams, the vast entertainment options, etc). Scottsdale is great if you like cookie cutter houses and chain restaurants. The outskirts of Tucson are actually pretty scenic, the city itself is a dump, other than U of A's campus. The Mexican food is excellent though.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

rentdodger1 wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:
UofO8 wrote:He needs to get out more if he is impressed with...any part of Arizona. Unless the desert is his thing lol
Tempe is absolutely beautiful, the scenery and the girls!
Yep. So is Scottsdale. Most of the state is pretty awesome, actually. There was a magazine article I read a couple years ago that had a comparison of something from all 50 states in Arizona. It offers very diverse scenery, not all desert.
Superduck, as a fellow Arizona resident, I concur. I've lived here for 20 yrs and would never consider a move back to Oregon. The east valley has excellent schools, great quality of life and outstanding business opportunities. I still have many friends in the Eugene area and quite frankly most that own businesses have struggled.
Exactly. I'm not as high on the schools because of the overcrowding, but I also understand that it's not exclusive to this area. It's happening everywhere.

The quality of life is fantastic, business opportunities ARE everywhere and there are also plenty of jobs to be had. Most of them are low paying, but they're better than nothing for someone that needs a paycheck.
rentdodger1 wrote:BTW-Those that are critical of the heat must love that 7.5 months of rain and gray. I would take the August heat over depressing March rain.
Some people love the rain. I don't mind a good rain storm, but I have a hard time living in it. It does become depressing after awhile, for me at least. The Phoenix area gets apx 300 days of sunshine per year. I'll take that in a heartbeat.

By the way, yes, it gets hot, but you don't just go stand in it! You go from the air conditioned house, to the air conditioned car, to the air conditioned store, go to the pool or the lake to cool off, take a drive to the mountains for the weekend, etc. Native Americans lived here and thrived long before a/c was ever invented.

If I were ever to move back to Oregon it would be central Oregon. Bend is beautiful and has 4 seasons instead of just rainy drizzle.

I love Eugene. I was born there and lived there most of my life, but I can't imagine ever living there again.

Also, there are bad or dirty parts of any city. I've seen them myself, but that doesn't define an entire area. There are also racists everywhere. I don't get that comment. I'm sorry if you had a bad experience with someone. I've never seen it in my time here, though I'm sure it happens.

Regarding the "old" people, most of the elderly here are retirees. This place is filled with resorts, golf courses, fine restaurants and things to do 24/7. The population increases by an average of 100,000 during the winter and spring months with wealthy retirees coming here from all over the U.S. and Canada. The locals call them "snowbirds" and they pump a LOT of money into the local economy.

By the way, there's also a very large contingent of Oregonians and former Oregonians that live here at least part of the year.

Everyone's going to have their own opinion and that's fine. I love Oregon, always have, always will. But I prefer to live in Arizona.

To each his own.
John 3:36
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

rentdodger1 wrote:BTW-Those that are critical of the heat must love that 7.5 months of rain and gray. I would take the August heat over depressing March rain.
I have a nice big creek that flows through my backyard year round with a nice big pond. After clearing some brush away last year along the creek bed we now have a mated pair of river otters, a beaver family and our pair of Mallard ducks just had 8 little ducklings. Oh, and there is a nice young brown bear that constantly pilfers my compost pile too. Not to mention the sheer amount of birds and fresh air as well as all the cool waterfalls I know of in the area and I haven't even mentioned the tasty Salmonses yet (my precious).

Don't get me wrong, the Hopi way of dry-farming is really awesome and all, I just have this thing about water that I like so much. You couldn't really get to me to live in a place like that for any considerable amount of time in great deal because of the lack of water. The Colorado river hasn't flowed into the Ocean in about 2 decades and the next great crisis of the coming years is going to be over water and water rights issues.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

What will they do when Lake Mead goes dry?
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

woundedknees wrote:What will they do when Lake Mead goes dry?
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

In the northern Arizona city of Williams, restaurant patrons don't automatically get a glass of water anymore. Residents caught watering lawns or washing cars with potable water can be fined. Businesses are hauling water from outside town to fill swimming pools, and building permits have been put on hold because there isn't enough water to accommodate development.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/arizona- ... -low-water
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

The last time I was at Lake Mead, which was a couple years ago, I went striped bass fishing... The boat ramps were nearly high and dry, at the end of what should have been the "rainy" season, and we were looking up well over 100 feet to the former high water mark. Every season there is more observed drop in the water levels, with no end in sight.

Considering how many cities use that resource, it sounds like a recipe for disaster.

gosterman01
Three Star Recruit

Post by gosterman01 »

He's all Tennessee wit gibson.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

gosterman01 wrote:He's all Tennessee wit gibson.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Balderdash, you re-route this thread back to dry, arid climates right now mister! :lol:
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

If Khalil were to switch to Oregon, I'd eat my...

STEAK! (Honestly, I'll eat it anyway.)

rentdodger1
Three Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger1 »

Duck07 wrote:
I have a nice big creek that flows through my backyard year round with a nice big pond. After clearing some brush away last year along the creek bed we now have a mated pair of river otters, a beaver family and our pair of Mallard ducks just had 8 little ducklings. Oh, and there is a nice young brown bear that constantly pilfers my compost pile too. Not to mention the sheer amount of birds and fresh air as well as all the cool waterfalls I know of in the area and I haven't even mentioned the tasty Salmonses yet (my precious).

Don't get me wrong, the Hopi way of dry-farming is really awesome and all, I just have this thing about water that I like so much. You couldn't really get to me to live in a place like that for any considerable amount of time in great deal because of the lack of water. The Colorado river hasn't flowed into the Ocean in about 2 decades and the next great crisis of the coming years is going to be over water and water rights issues.
Hey, Not a knock on the many positives that Oregon has. Loved growing up there and in a few years will spend the summers in the NW and will be up there next month.

I have almost an acre on near the base of a preserve and granted its not the norm but has an abundance of wildlife, gardening and privacy in a urban setting. The night sky here is pretty amazing.

Maricopa County has little reliance on the Colorado River, no reliance on Lake Mead. The Salt River system extends out east and north is the major source of our water. Maricopa county also sits on a significant ground water table that is pretty stable. The major concern here is the balance of development and agriculture, that is more of an issue. How water is used vs. lack of resource.
rentdodger1
Three Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger1 »

No offense but Lake Mead has little to do with the Phoenix area.

That would be like me saying; What would Bend do if Fern Ridge Lake went dry?
:
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

rentdodger1 wrote:

:
Maybe not directly but the flow of Colorado River is declining. Drought stricken California has senior water rights to the Central Arizona Project and will exercise them at some point. Phoenix has some options, but they involve huge $$$ which will be passed on to the citizens. Arizona would be wise to invest heavily in solar power so at least the AC keeps running.
rentdodger1
Three Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger1 »

maxduck wrote:
rentdodger1 wrote:

:
Maybe not directly but the flow of Colorado River is declining. Drought stricken California has senior water rights to the Central Arizona Project and will exercise them at some point. Phoenix has some options, but they involve huge $$$ which will be passed on to the citizens. Arizona would be wise to invest heavily in solar power so at least the AC keeps running.
Absolutely agree on the Colorado River Basin. If you are Northern/Western Az./Las Vegas there will be tough issues and choices. The solar investment is already in Az and growing. The Gila Bend facility will be one of the largest is the country with others on the table.
UofO8
Senior

Post by UofO8 »

maxduck wrote:
rentdodger1 wrote:

:
Out here in Los Angeles we don't know what water is :lol: