Regional: Oregon is out of the tournament

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: Regional: Oregon vs Iowa (Sunday Noon ESPN 3)

Post by OregonFan4Life »

greenyellow wrote:Heckuva missed opportunity there. Iowa brought in a pitcher that gave Oregon problems on Friday and he did it again today.
Great pitcher no doubt, but those last two batters were way too quick to swing at the ball.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

This is not fun to watch.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

OregonFan4Life wrote:This is not fun to watch.
Update? This thread is all I've got. Thanks in advance.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Iowa is up 2-1 going into the bottom of the 11th.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

RanDux wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:This is not fun to watch.
Update? This thread is all I've got. Thanks in advance.
Sorry about that! Ducks down 1-2 going into the bottom of the 11th but this game should be over from when the Ducks had the bases loaded with no outs in the bottom of the 9th.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Ducks lose.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Ducks lose. So disappointing.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: Regional: Oregon is out of the tournament

Post by OregonFan4Life »

From my perspective the biggest problem with this team has been blown opportunities. They leave too many runners stranded. Bases loaded, bottom of the 9th, no outs, and you can't get just 1 run to end the game? JB Bryant goes in there with 1 out and on the very first pitch swings into a double play. It just doesn't get more frustrating than that. It seems like it's been like this for the last few years. It was cool they made it to post-season play considering they underperformed drastically for most of the season, but that was a disappointing way to end the season to say the least. Maybe next year they can make it to the CWS!
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Tough way to go out. Not sure how Horton can get a more consistent offensive team as that seems to be the biggest hurdle for them to take the next step up.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

it's disappointing for sure because we want oregon to win every game, but we just haven't been very good the last two years. to win 40 & 38 games and make the postseason each year despite some pretty glaring holes has been fairly impressive. we'll have to survive some scares in the draft, but next year could/should be our best season since our consecutive national seed seasons.

as for the 9th, i would have liked to have seen bryant come in for cuddy instead. i don't know about 'heroball', cuddy got a few pitches in the zone and you have to swing at those. the problem is cuddy led the team in K's this year, and the one thing you absolutely can't do in a bases loaded/no out situation is swing and miss. that was a poor matchup. bryant is more of a contact hitter.

oh well. good month of may. glad the team had some fight in them. perhaps in a roundabout way a disappointing end to 2015 will prompt a few draft eligible kids to come back for 2016.
ImageImageImageImageImage
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Who's all likely draft picks? Off the top of my head, Tolman, Heineman, Graham, Craig-St. Louis, Irvin, and Cleavinger seem the most likely, but I'm not sure about any of the other JRs or some age-eligible SOs. As for the recruiting class, it seems Oregon loses half of their class every year to the draft due to how well Horton and the staff recruits. It'd be nice to get another solid FR and JC transfer class in to add to this season's FR class. That should make for a really talented team.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i think that's basically the list. in my opinion:

cleavinger is gone.

heineman is very very likely done. he's turned down the draft twice now, he's a fourth year junior, and he's got a bit of an injury history. time to make a little scratch and live out that dream.

tolman is likely gone, but i have this weird, unsubstantiated feeling that he could surprise us. probably depends where he goes, and where a major league team thinks he's of the best value. typically, you want your corner infielders to hit for a bit more power than he does. if they think he can make a permanent switch to second base, or develop that power, he might go too high to pass up. his 3B defense has gotten a lot better.

irvin, as i've said before, is the biggest question mark. not to be a broken record, but if he goes outside the top five rounds, coming back and pitching an injury free 2016 could vault him to a big first round payday. if teams are willing to take a little bit of a risk and draft him earlier than what his 2015 performance deserves, it would probably be worth it to just make the jump. i honestly don't know.

i think graham will be back. he reminds me just a little of shaun chase last year, only his circumstances obviously are pitching-based. chase came out of nowhere to have this monster season, but wasn't drafted because teams could see how one dimensional he was. graham WILL be drafted, because he can touch the mid-90s on his fastball, but if he comes back to develop his secondary pitches, he could really improve that stock and make a bigger splash in 2016.

i would be stunned if craig-st.louis left, if he's drafted at all.

i don't know who any of the draft-eligible sophomores are, if we have any.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I don't know if there any draft-eligible SOs because they don't list birthdays for them so it's hard to know who makes the cutoff date.
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

Heard on the radio this morning that no PAC team advanced to the Super regionals. That has to first!
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

horton told steve mims today that he expects to lose tolman, heineman, cleavinger, and graham.