Finances

You can talk about all sim related stuff here.

Moderators: UOducksTK1, Zyme, lukeyrid13, Oregon Ownage

Brophdog88
Senior
GM: Denver Nuggets

Re: Finances

Post by Brophdog88 »

dave wrote:
FlDuckFan wrote:
dave wrote:
Because you make no sense. In one breathe you're saying how much bird teams have advantage and in next you're saying how everyone is going to lose players. Then while they're losing these players left and right there is going to be all these dynasties.

The only thing I'm proposing is scaling down max contracts for players essentially in their 3rd or 4th contract and capping the years so we're not having 34-36 year olds making 18-22 mil.

It promotes activity for all GMs and eliminates teams having a financial albatross
I have 2 guys making 18+ but that's why I only offered them a 4 year contract and I'm still able to make moves and such.
Your team is actually a prime example. If Terry and Wally were making what I propose it would basically free up about 5 mil for you enabling you to actually extend Torres and have an MLE next year. Instead you're gonna be very tight next offseason with signing Brooks and Murphy and rounding out bench with minimums.
This is a good thing...smh

also, if you actually read it, I addressed that you had either one of two things depending on how you addressed the system, either teams will lose FA's left and right, or, its easy to keep them and with salaries low they can accumulate players with the lower salaries
Denver Nuggets DASL GM
Brophdog88
Senior

Post by Brophdog88 »

dave wrote:
catch 922 wrote:
bellsduck wrote:
dave wrote:
What wouldn't exist is contracts like Tim Duncan. Age 34- 18.2 mil, 19.6 mil, 21 mil. Currently on a rebuilding team, a shell of his former self, and basically praying he retires.

If we had a 3-4 yr cap on over 30yr old maxes Duncan would be back in the free agent pool to either be resigned or acquired by a another team. Pistons would be able to be a much more active franchise in the offseason. Instead he's handcuffed and somewhat rendered to be inactive.
No one made him offer Duncan that money. Period.
I've coped with the fact that I may have to put up with three or four years of rebuilding while i wait for his contract to end. I weighed that issue when I made the original offer and I missed out on some other contracts I really feel like i should've gotten but that was part of the risk. There are other PF's going into free agency every year that other people can sign so no one is really missing out on him not going into the free agent pool.

I still had enough cap room to make serious offers during the offseason as well. I just didn't get the guys, but I made competitive offers even with the duncan contract. I've managed around it and will continue to do so until it runs out.

Duncan contract can't really be used in this argument because I knew the issues going into it and it's also not really a detriment to the league me having him for that much.
Yes you were forced to do this because if you didn't then it was more than likely you wouldn't have landed Duncan. You obviously weighed reward and consequence but the way the league is structured you had to add on extra years.

With my proposal you wouldn't encounter this problem. Sure you can obviously operate around the contract but wouldn't it be better if you didn't?
He didn't have birds, he didn't have to offer that contract, he chose to target Duncan, you just want him to be able to do the same for cheaper. if you wanna try to steal a vet, there is a downside. He could have offered a shorter deal, (given Duncan's talent at the time, he clearly should have) and still taken a chance at getting him, you want to take the option away, even though nobody forces it.
Denver Nuggets DASL GM
Brophdog88
Senior

Post by Brophdog88 »

Again, you keep pretending teams are forced to somehow make these offers, they aren't, they choose to, the Wolves signed guys to 3/4 year deals, he doesn't have the problems you will with Marion.
Denver Nuggets DASL GM
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

Apparently everyone understands the concept except Dave, are we just gonna keep re-hashing the same thing over and over again or are we just gonna end this thread?
Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Post by Zyme »

This has been going in circles and is not really getting anywere further. The general impression is people are against it for the most part and dave is for it. I think best we can say is that we agree to disagree on this issue. I do not see the support to move this any further at this time.
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)