Fire Allioti

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

woundedknees
All-American

Re: Fire Allioti

Post by woundedknees »

Oregon won't see another RB like Gerhart for a LOOOONG time... Thank God!

Pretty much anybody else the Ducks face would not have been able to do that.

The pinpoint accuracy of Luck (Even when he was under presure) was outrageous, as well.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

We just weren't ready for that powerful of a running game.

Gerhart is a GREAT back. He has so much power and speed.

We haven't faced an o-line and running back like that all year, hopefully we are prepared next time we face a similar offense.
echo31
Five Star Recruit

Post by echo31 »

It wasn't the scheme, it was the fact that their offensive line was so much bigger and stronger than or D-Line and linebackers
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

The defense is built around speed and speed can easily be beaten by being bigger and stronger. Oregon had players in the area to stop Gerhart but they just got outmuscled once they were in position.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

dd10snoop28 wrote:We just weren't ready for that powerful of a running game.

Gerhart is a GREAT back. He has so much power and speed.

We haven't faced an o-line and running back like that all year, hopefully we are prepared next time we face a similar offense.

I'm not so sure about that. I think USC has a better line and some darn good running backs. Maybe the D had a letdown this week or missed the magic of Autzen.
addictedtoquack
Three Star Recruit

Post by addictedtoquack »

woundedknees wrote:Oregon won't see another RB like Gerhart for a LOOOONG time... Thank God!

Pretty much anybody else the Ducks face would not have been able to do that.

The pinpoint accuracy of Luck (Even when he was under presure) was outrageous, as well.

Luck was plain unbelievable, he was dropping passes right into receivers hands with zero margin of error.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I dont know if was scheme or what. It seemed Oregon was in position many times. I think it was as the announcers said.. Who wanted it more. Gerhard. went in thinking they not gonna get me and his determination made it sure look like our D said ok we will give it to ya. One touchdown he had was 3 arm tackles.. how do you expect to arm tackle a power RB like him.. let alone any RB for that matter with arm tackles. Poor coaching on the defense poor execution. Our offense put up 42... That is a lot of points and to still lose.. can only place it on the defense.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

Luck was playing out of his mind...every ball was exactly where it needed to be, even after he got hit hard a couple of times
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

chapelhillduck wrote:Luck was playing out of his mind...every ball was exactly where it needed to be, even after he got hit hard a couple of times
He played great but if Oregon could have got a couple good hits on him early he might have gotten rattled and not played so great and maybe there would have been a different outcome. Pressuring the QB is huge when you have a great run game that opens up play action.
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Biggus Duckus wrote:
gofightingducks wrote:
chapelhillduck wrote:Luck was playing out of his mind...every ball was exactly where it needed to be, even after he got hit hard a couple of times
He played great but if Oregon could have got a couple good hits on him early he might have gotten rattled and not played so great and maybe there would have been a different outcome. Pressuring the QB is huge when you have a great run game that opens up play action.
They tried to and failed. Stanford O-Line was having their way with our blitzers.

One thing I did notice is Oregon never did a good job at disguising blitzes. Most of the time you don't try to hide it you just go at them but when you can't beat the linemen, a lot of the good defenses disguise their blitzes and confuse the linemen which allows you to get the the QB. Aliotti should know that.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

The thing is, you knew that they were going to give the ball to Gerhart, and he still ended up with a career game. Reminded me of the Oregon D from previous years. I'm sure glad 2 of our 3 remaining games are at Autzen.
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

duckgrad99 wrote:The thing is, you knew that they were going to give the ball to Gerhart, and he still ended up with a career game. Reminded me of the Oregon D from previous years. I'm sure glad 2 of our 3 remaining games are at Autzen.

Gerhart and Stanford's line are very strong and physical. The Ducks D-line, not so much. Too bad we can never land any top DT recruits that can qualify.
addictedtoquack
Three Star Recruit

Post by addictedtoquack »

duckgrad99 wrote:The thing is, you knew that they were going to give the ball to Gerhart, and he still ended up with a career game. Reminded me of the Oregon D from previous years. I'm sure glad 2 of our 3 remaining games are at Autzen.
If it was just Gerhart playing out of his mind you can contain that, but if you have Luck dropping passes on a dime to his receivers even when our DB's are in their jerseys it's a tough situation. Either stack the box and get lit up by Luck, or cover the pass and get ran over by Gerhart. In hind sight maybe we should have stacked the box and brought the house on Luck a few times, maybe we could have gotten to him a couple times and rattled him a bit.
ducklydoright
Two Star Recruit

Post by ducklydoright »

Aliotti has NEVER been good at dialing up the blitz. I mean how hard is it to pick up a blitz when you not only know when it's coming, but you know where it's coming from? How many times are we going to watch Pleasant blitz off the edge and almost jump offsides in the process? Or watch our LB's run straight up the middle into the waiting arms of an opposing teams offensive lineman? Now I don't have a problem with doing those things occasionally, but Aliotti has to do a better job of mixing up who, when and where we blitz from. I also think it's EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that we address our problem at DT. Now I love the way Bair has played this year, but lets be honest, he has overachieved and he is way too small to play against Big physical OL's like Stanfords, and even if Bair was a One Man Wrecking Crew we would still need someone to play the other DT spot. I want this defense to be good every year and if we are ever going to have a truly dominant all around defense we HAVE TO be solid up the middle and right now I don't see anyone in our current DT rotation that gives me hope that they can and will be dominant. Hopefully next year, guys like Iupati, Keliikipi and Montgomery can really step up the DT play next year.
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

ducklydoright wrote:Aliotti has NEVER been good at dialing up the blitz. I mean how hard is it to pick up a blitz when you not only know when it's coming, but you know where it's coming from? How many times are we going to watch Pleasant blitz off the edge and almost jump offsides in the process? Or watch our LB's run straight up the middle into the waiting arms of an opposing teams offensive lineman? Now I don't have a problem with doing those things occasionally, but Aliotti has to do a better job of mixing up who, when and where we blitz from. I also think it's EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that we address our problem at DT. Now I love the way Bair has played this year, but lets be honest, he has overachieved and he is way too small to play against Big physical OL's like Stanfords, and even if Bair was a One Man Wrecking Crew we would still need someone to play the other DT spot. I want this defense to be good every year and if we are ever going to have a truly dominant all around defense we HAVE TO be solid up the middle and right now I don't see anyone in our current DT rotation that gives me hope that they can and will be dominant. Hopefully next year, guys like Iupati, Keliikipi and Montgomery can really step up the DT play next year.
Speaking of offsides, how many did Oregon have? 2-3, the Oregon D was all around bad, tackling, pressure, coverage, penalties, everything.