Multiple Duck football players hospitalized after workouts

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Phenom
All Pac-12

Re: Multiple Duck football players hospitalized after workou

Post by Phenom »

srduck wrote:
Phenom wrote:It will be interesting to see how Taggart handles his first "scandal".
Scandal????? Really????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quotation marks. Sarcasm bro.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Tweet from a local TV sports reporter who covers the team that says this is being overblown.
Last edited by greenyellow on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Ugo tweeted the same thing. Said the workout is being overblown.
scoducks
Three Star Recruit

Post by scoducks »

greenyellow wrote:Tweet from a local TV sports reporter who covers the team that says this is being overblown.
Hmmmm I can see why players would like to talk to Miss Rodgers. :D

But on the real one of her tweets say they were allowed to take a break at any time. The positivity in this is it looks like players are trying to compete at the highest level without quitting!
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

It's looking more like the players overdid than the new S&C team being a bunch of harda***s.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

greenyellow wrote:It's looking more like the players overdid than the new S&C team being a bunch of harda***s.
X2, good reporting by a media member..
Ducks10
Four Star Recruit

Post by Ducks10 »

It sure is, which makes me feel better. Hopefully there is better communication in the future.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

scoducks wrote:
But on the real one of her tweets say they were allowed to take a break at any time. The positivity in this is it looks like players are trying to compete at the highest level without quitting!
And there you go. Now one here knows whether these kids suffered a serious medical condition because they were out of shape or because they pushed themselves beyond their limit.

The fact is this was a blunder on the training staff, the S and C coach and the medical staff. Piss poor sports science for a school that was state of the art in it. If my kid were a recruit with lots of good options this would be a deal breaker. The S&C program should do no harm.
OregonDonor
Two Star Recruit

Post by OregonDonor »

z99clark11 wrote:Interesting. I went Juco before I went to oregon. I always said after I was done that I was in my best shape at Juco. With Rad I was in good shape, but just good shape to be a d linemen. We worked way harder at my Juco. I don't mind this news. These guys gotta work. Just wish it had happened after signing day. And of course I hope the guys are ok.
I only played high school, but an hour of up-downs and pushups sounds horrendous. I was ready to puke after 20 minutes.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Formerly LetMeSeeYourO
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

A bit ago I saw a tweet from a Philly NFL writer, retweeting a Tampa NFL writer blasting Taggart about this. So I was curious how widespread the story is from a PR basis. I put "Oregon Football" and nothing else in Google (All). Yikes. ESPN CBSSports, USA Today, SI, Register Guard articles on this were 5 of the 6 featured hits.
chipkellysballs
Two Star Recruit

Post by chipkellysballs »

Here are some tweets reacting to this:
My take: This is overblown. 3, THREE(!!), out of how many players? 3 out of like 80+ got hospitalized. That alone tells me those 3 were badly out of shape especially if EE Jordan Scott at 345 lbs can complete it. This isn't a good look on the program but it's understandable. The players are competitive and the coaches don't know how poorly conditioned the players are. I played football in high school so to a lesser extant I get it, when you're going through these types of workouts you don't quit on your team no matter how badly your body is telling you to. So for that I respect them and their decision to keep going even though they should've stopped.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Sounds like some people jumped to some false conclusions regarding the new strength coach.
OregonDonor
Two Star Recruit

Post by OregonDonor »

One DT poster is saying Jordan Scott didn't participate in the workouts. He did sit ups the whole time. Fwiw

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Formerly LetMeSeeYourO
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

chipkellysballs wrote:
My take: This is overblown. 3, THREE(!!), out of how many players? 3 out of like 80+ got hospitalized. That alone tells me those 3 were badly out of shape especially if EE Jordan Scott at 345 lbs can complete it. This isn't a good look on the program but it's understandable. The players are competitive and the coaches don't know how poorly conditioned the players are. I played football in high school so to a lesser extant I get it, when you're going through these types of workouts you don't quit on your team no matter how badly your body is telling you to. So for that I respect them and their decision to keep going even though they should've stopped.
How about knocking off the victim blaming.

You have no idea how many breaks Jordan Scott took, whether he tapped out. You don't know how hard the three were pushing themselves. Rhabdo can effect the best or least conditioned because it is relative. It is more prevalent in ultraconditioned triatheletes who have a tendency to push themselves past their limits than relatively sane athletes that know when to back it down. Insulting those kids who worked themselves into the hospital is no better than the OU fans who blamed that girl Joe Mixon punched for having a glass jaw.
Last edited by GrandpaDuck on Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duckattack7
Five Star Recruit

Post by Duckattack7 »

At Beaverton when I played football we had this week called "Hell Week" and it was a week during august and this was a summer where all week it was 100 degrees and it was in the back gym which was tiny. Probably 115 degrees of continuous circuit training and half way through we would go out on the turf and run 10 perfect plays and man oh man was that hell. People puking and falling to the ground but never anyone going to the hospital. So these guys had to be seriously out of shape or got dehydrated. Or the workout had to have been out of this world crazy lol.
Return Of the Quack!