Multiple Duck football players hospitalized after workouts

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

justducky0
Senior

Re: Multiple Duck football players hospitalized after workou

Post by justducky0 »

1. Looks like there are no quitters on this team, guys will go to the hospital before they give up on a workout.

2. All the players are saying its nothing

3. The "outrage" by the media is ridiculous, even the players are saying so.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

This is kind of a big deal though. If it's a matter of rhabdo, that has a sizeable chance of leading to kidney damage. The coaches seriously need to do a better job of helping players recognize when to pull back. Last thing we want is for a player to suffer kidney failure. Hopefully this becomes a big teachable moment.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
duckfbfan15
Three Star Recruit

Post by duckfbfan15 »

This is the new staff's version of doing 997 things out of 1,000 right! :lol: :lol: :lol:

GO HARD, GO OREGON, GO DUCKS!
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

It's the next morning and after readin three more pages of comments since last night, my thoughts.

1. Sounds like the kids did it to themselves, especially if they had opportunities to take breaks and quit if they wanted to or needed to.

2. My concern was and still is with the three kids in the hospital. But it was also a concern for the new coaches and the shyt storm the media was and did/are trying to make if this. This morning it appears the players are doing a good job of throwing water on the media flames.

3. Clark made a good point in his post on the different conditioning style Rad had, 10 yard bursts, new coaches new style and new sore muscles. Bottom line, as a player texted, 3 out of 112 players went to the hospital all Big guys, all 10 yard burst guys.

No real story here, just three of 112 who pushed themselves too far and I'm sure coach O will/is keep a closer eye on things........Back to Duck Hunting for 2017!
snapt
Four Star Recruit

Post by snapt »

So these guys programmed 3 days of nothing but bodyweight work after rumors of lax training and skipped workouts etc. for players who probably weren't used to these things, let alone high rep counts? Anyone with a whiff of education/training knows that's a recipe for rhabdo.

It'd be nice to just say hey they did it to themselves and went too hard, but college football players are going to keep going past their limits to prove something at the risk of their health and its up to the coaches and trainers to recognize that.

Rhabdo can cause permanent damage and can be a long road to recovery, I hope these guys aren't set too far back that it effects this coming season, let alone suffering liver issues the rest of their life from it.

In certain military training folks are super susceptible to Rhabdo, and pushed well past their limits. BUDS, SFAS, PJ etc instructors are entrusted with recognizing the symptoms and pulling guys out before they require serious medical attention. If the new staff is going to run 'military style' workouts then they should be held to the same standard.

Taking my training hat off now, I'm glad the new coaches are getting the players after it, but they gotta be smart with so much on the line!
BOOF it!
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

No real story here, just three of 112 who pushed themselves too far and I'm sure coach O will/is keep a closer eye on things........Back to Duck Hunting for 2017!
I fully agree with this. New coach, new program, the players are probably inspired and trying hard to impress... to show they're not quitters.

That said, this cannot be allowed to happen again. Rhabdo is serious business, and the coaches need to do a better job of helping players understand that yes, they SHOULD stop.

It's not a matter of manliness. It's a matter of preparation, and not taking yourself out of training because you did it wrong.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

pezsez1 wrote:
I fully agree with this. New coach, new program, the players are probably inspired and trying hard to impress... to show they're not quitters.

That said, this cannot be allowed to happen again. Rhabdo is serious business, and the coaches need to do a better job of helping players understand that yes, they SHOULD stop.

It's not a matter of manliness. It's a matter of preparation, and not taking yourself out of training because you did it wrong.
I agree here. The players are responsible for their actions, but the staff is there to prevent things like this from happening. This is also on Coach O and the sports trainers who are trained to spot these signs.

I think this has potential to bond the team together, though. They've all been sticking up for each other, even the recruits.
Handsome Dan
Four Star Recruit

Post by Handsome Dan »

Yeah, the problem here is that the coaches need to evaluate if the rhetoric they used to communicate things were changing went a little too far, and if so, make it clear what they actually expect so that players don't feel unduly pressured to work past the point of safety.
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

OregonDonor wrote:
rsbgduck wrote:I'm going with the players responses to this, not the media's opinion or some of the posters who were not at the workouts. Putting all the tweets together including the ones who went to the hospital, it was a case where competitive athletes pushed themselves to hard. I'm sure there were players who thought they were in better shape than they thought they were in and found out the hard way they were not. They were allowed to take breaks as they needed and a few didn't take enough. These are young competitive men and testosterone got the better of them in my opinion. Putting the blame on the training staff when you were not their and don't know what was said or the options given when every player who has said something publicly has owned that it was on them to take breaks and they pushed themselves to far. That being said this is a wake up call and definitely an opportunity for the athletic department to step up and come up with some sort of system or device that can monitor individual players physical strain during workouts to protect the athletes (not just FB) from both coaches and themselves. This IMO is far from any kind of intentional abuse of players.

After reading a little on Rhabdom the signs and symptoms are the same as when someone over exerts themselves to the point of puking, cramping, sore, fainting, etc. which is fairly common and happens across the country every year at this time of year. Except for the red/brown urine (I pee before and after my workouts not during) it's not something that could of been known without a blood or urine test and until now have never heard of it.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/rhab ... eatments#1
Keep making excuses. The fact of the matter is that a S&C coach needs to know exactly how far to push, and when to let off. He's highly paid, and should be highly trained. Coach Rad was highly trained. He used science to dictate his regime. I'll be very interested to learn what qualifications coach O has.

I don't blame the kids one bit. They pushed themselves beyond what their bodies could handle. To blame them for going too far is pathetic. They rely on highly trained coaches to know the difference between the edge and hospitalized.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Excuses I did not make, they are facts, let me guess your one of those who feels its the guns fault or the gun owners fault for someone getting shot. This is a society problem in todays world, lets not hold kids or criminals accountable lets blame everyone else, parents, cops, teachers, coaches :roll:
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Yeah, the problem here is that the coaches need to evaluate if the rhetoric they used to communicate things were changing went a little too far, and if so, make it clear what they actually expect so that players don't feel unduly pressured to work past the point of safety.
Boom.

The strength coach is presumably a fitness expert. These players are "college kids" who are not experts. This is mostly on the coaches, just as bad defense or broken plays are mostly on the coaches. But this one rash of rhabdo isn't a big deal as long as the coaches learn from this and make adjustments to prevent it from happening again.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

Lots of excuses being made here (Reminds me of the Lyles affair). The bottom line is the new staff made a mistake. They'll pay the price for that in public opinion. But I hate that every fan base goes into defense mode when anything negative comes out about their program. We're no better.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

I think a lot of people are missing the point. It's less about how it happened, whether you think the players were out of shape or pushing themselves too hard, and more about what the coaches and training staff didn't do. There's no excuse for not monitoring these players during and after the workouts. We have the best tech and facilities available; there was serious negligence on the part of the S&C staff to not catch that there were players pushing themselves well beyond their limits.

As a result of their negligence the staff combined with the sensational media they now have to do some real damage control. I hope they learned their lesson.
OregonDonor
Two Star Recruit

Post by OregonDonor »

pezsez1 wrote:
Boom.

The strength coach is presumably a fitness expert. These players are "college kids" who are not experts. This is mostly on the coaches, just as bad defense or broken plays are mostly on the coaches. But this one rash of rhabdo isn't a big deal as long as the coaches learn from this and make adjustments to prevent it from happening again.
Pretty much where I'm at. Hope they learn from it and move forward. I do love the fact that the staff is pushing these guys.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Formerly LetMeSeeYourO
duck541
Four Star Recruit

Multiple Duck football players hospitalized after workouts

Post by duck541 »

Well this workout isn't anything new for Oregon. Last year everyone was singing Prukop's praises for throwing up in a garbage can and pushing through it to be one of the last guys standing during an up-down marathon.

Sounds like the players wanted to prove something to the new staff and pushed themselves too hard, and the staff failed to recognize that a few guys were struggling. Both sides are at fault here, but it's the coach's responsibility to keep their players safe so it makes sense they get the heat for it.

That said, this media storm is a bit much. I like how everyone is pretending this is something new and players pushing themselves to exhaustion is bad when the UO and mouthpiece Rob Moseley were loving this workout less than a year ago as a gauge of mental toughness and leadership ability.

http://www.goducks.com/news/2016/2/4/21 ... h=football
Hoagduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Hoagduck »

greenyellow wrote:Tweet from a local TV sports reporter who covers the team that says this is being overblown.
/thread