Possible replacements for Reaves

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

pezsez1
All Pac-12

Re: Possible replacements for Reaves

Post by pezsez1 »

Just want to put this out there again though... I really like Taggart. I WANT him to succeed, and I'm excited to see the Ducks take the field with him calling the plays. He feels like the right guy for the job.

He needs to run a clean, grounded program though, and that means hiring good, grounded coaches who don't do dumb things like drink and drive.

I'm extremely hopeful and optimistic that the past two weeks are a total fluke.

Just making it known, though, that a driving reason for firing Helfrich was to bring in a guy who'd lay down the law and cut out the BS. Unfortunately, these incidents muddy the waters a bit for Taggart, but it's nothing a good run of solid, scandal-free coaching can't fix.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

a guy who'd lay down the law and cut out the BS
Suspending a coach for a month without pay for a first infraction and terminating another on the spot seems to point to him laying down the law. Not to mention kicking 3 players off the team for transgressions that happened under the previous regime. I don't see how anyone could want more out of him at this point.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

pezsez1 wrote:Just want to put this out there again though... I really like Taggart. I WANT him to succeed, and I'm excited to see the Ducks take the field with him calling the plays. He feels like the right guy for the job.

He needs to run a clean, grounded program though, and that means hiring good, grounded coaches who don't do dumb things like drink and drive.

I'm extremely hopeful and optimistic that the past two weeks are a total fluke.

Just making it known, though, that a driving reason for firing Helfrich was to bring in a guy who'd lay down the law and cut out the BS. Unfortunately, these incidents muddy the waters a bit for Taggart, but it's nothing a good run of solid, scandal-free coaching can't fix.
Pez i agree. on most... But after the players in the hospital a coach is suspended without pay...pretty clear message. And now with Reaves being
fired you cant be more clear there. In both situations was it possible for Taggert to see this coming and put a stop to it before?
You have a s-c coach who has been in the field for a number of years with Willie and he had trust in him, Reaves been with Willie for 4 years
and no drinking issues that are of public knowledge. The only reason they would muddy the waters is because the media makes it so..
In the reaves matter he is an adult, made an adult mistake, he is now going to pay for it. but there is no way Taggert is at fault.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Taggart has responded to these incidents perfectly, imo, which is a big reason why I'm still on his bandwagon and not second-guessing his hiring.

Is it a slightly damaged bandwagon? After the past couple weeks, yeah, there might be a squeaky wheel -- but as long as something like this doesn't happen again, all of this drama should be a footnote on a successful career, kind of like the Blount punch turned out to be a footnote for Chip's wildly successful tenure.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Didn't LMJ get in trouble in Chip's first offseason?
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Phenom wrote:Didn't LMJ get in trouble in Chip's first offseason?
Not sure of the charge, but something like domestic assault. An argument with his girlfriend or ex, she took his car keys from his house and started running down the sidewalk, he chased her and their feet got tangled up and she went down. He was charged and went to court.. sorry all from memory so it may be off a bit.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

What your thought on an ex NFL tight end type, tackle O or D, LB who wants to break in to coaching. They would have good experience as a position coach, with luck eager to break into coaching, other coaches may have to pick up the recruiting slack for a while, but they should be young enough to be social media savvy. Granted coach T may want to put a gps tracker on them, all his coaches for that matter. But a kid with good NFL experience and knowledge might not be all bad.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

pezsez1 wrote:Taggart has responded to these incidents perfectly, imo, which is a big reason why I'm still on his bandwagon and not second-guessing his hiring.

Is it a slightly damaged bandwagon? After the past couple weeks, yeah, there might be a squeaky wheel -- but as long as something like this doesn't happen again, all of this drama should be a footnote on a successful career, kind of like the Blount punch turned out to be a footnote for Chip's wildly successful tenure.
That Blount punch was an awful, awful thing. Just devastating when it happened in real time. But I can't help chuckling to myself when my perfect recall memory of the incident kicks in, and I get to see the smile wiped off that white boy's face.

Disclaimer: I in no way advocate the punching of Boise State smug looking white boys, nor do I condone it. But I will chuckle about it years later.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Disclaimer: I in no way advocate the punching of Boise State smug looking white boys, nor do I condone it. But I will chuckle about it years later.
That dude had it coming. I can't even remember his name. He talked s*** and got hit.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

pezsez1 wrote:
That dude had it coming. I can't even remember his name. He talked s*** and got hit.
Byron Hout
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Hout Got Clout!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

And now, as LB is racking up yards and winning rings, Hout's moment in the sun and claim to fame is, I got punched out by that guy once.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:Can Michael Clay coach TEs???

;)
That would be a home run hire.
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

It likely won't be a flashy big name hire like Brewster or James Coley (would be amazing), due to money. Reaves was set to make $300k per year. I wouldn't mind seeing Taggart bring in a more experienced coach, who isn't necessarily the best recruiter, but is known for being great in terms of player development.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
OregonDonor
Two Star Recruit

Post by OregonDonor »

ducksrock wrote:And now, as LB is racking up yards and winning rings, Hout's moment in the sun and claim to fame is, I got punched out by that guy once.
What's that dude from Eastern Washington that put the late hit on Vernon doing now days? That S.O.B. single handedly changed the direction of Oregon football. If Vernon stays healthy we likely beat MSU and go to the Rose Bowl that year.

I know. I know, but Helfrich would still be here.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Formerly LetMeSeeYourO