Possible replacements for Reaves

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

dthomas=ddixon

Re: Possible replacements for Reaves

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

I thoroughly enjoyed the punch. It was the scene afterwards that was pretty terrible.

Blount totally lost control and those in charge of the video board played the punch repeatedly for the entire stadium to see. Which was the worst part, IMO. It's one thing for two young men to have words and settle it physically; it's entirely different when you have people in charge intentionally stirring up the crowd and trying to incite a riot. That scene could have ended MUCH worse than it did thanks to the idiots running the video board.
lomiton
One Star Recruit

Post by lomiton »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed the punch. It was the scene afterwards that was pretty terrible.

Blount totally lost control and those in charge of the video board played the punch repeatedly for the entire stadium to see. Which was the worst part, IMO. It's one thing for two young men to have words and settle it physically; it's entirely different when you have people in charge intentionally stirring up the crowd and trying to incite a riot. That scene could have ended MUCH worse than it did thanks to the idiots running the video board.
Was there that night...THIS^

Also...
* Blount ran his mouth all week before the game and did zero to back it up
* Oregon got handled in every way possible that night
* Blount should have been on the sideline by that point in the game
* Hout should have kept his mouth shut (scoreboard)
* Since Hout did open his mouth he should have been paying attention
* That said, Hout never said anything racial
* Petersen deserves an assist for distracting Hout just as the punch was heading in
* As noted: Stadium video operator dumped kerosene on top the whole mess
* Scott Frost saved:
- Blount's life by not letting him go into the stands and getting him to the dressing room
- Probably a BSU fan's life (that Blount would have taken before the crowd would have done him in)
- Both Oregon's and BSU seasons and all sorts of negative fall-out for both programs that would have ensued
* Blount apologized for his actions the following week

The fact that Blount has had a very good NFL career post that doesn't change the fact he acted like an idiot that night
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

lomiton wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed the punch. It was the scene afterwards that was pretty terrible.

Was there that night...THIS^

Also...
* Blount ran his mouth all week before the game and did zero to back it up
* Oregon got handled in every way possible that night
* Blount should have been on the sideline by that point in the game
* Hout should have kept his mouth shut (scoreboard)
* Since Hout did open his mouth he should have been paying attention
* That said, Hout never said anything racial
* Petersen deserves an assist for distracting Hout just as the punch was heading in
* As noted: Stadium video operator dumped kerosene on top the whole mess
* Scott Frost saved:
- Blount's life by not letting him go into the stands and getting him to the dressing room
- Probably a BSU fan's life (that Blount would have taken before the crowd would have done him in)
- Both Oregon's and BSU seasons and all sorts of negative fall-out for both programs that would have ensued
* Blount apologized for his actions the following week

The fact that Blount has had a very good NFL career post that doesn't change the fact he acted like an idiot that night
I agree. I thought Chip handled Kiko and Blount perfectly. I mean, look where they are now.
Quacktaggular
High School Drop Out

Post by Quacktaggular »

rekcuf wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:If you talk crap and call a kid the N word, be prepared for a punch.
If that was the case, how come more wasn't made.of this incident? Oh, that's right--Blount sucker punched Hout...
How is it a sucker punch if Hout knew it was coming? To me a sucker punch is when someone gets hit that has no idea it's coming but Blount was clearly winding up for the punch before Hout looked away.

Blount's actions were clearly out of line(especially after the punch) but so were the actions of Hout, the video board operator, and the BS fans that went after him(I seem to recall one even going after him with a chair or something). With the binary group think that's so common these days it's hardly surprising but it always bothered me that the other parties involved were given a free pass.

Back on topic: If Taggart can make another solid hire like the one being rumored I think that momentum should be back on our side again, it would be especially great if it can be finalized before NSD.
lomiton
One Star Recruit

Post by lomiton »

Quacktaggular wrote:
rekcuf wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:If you talk crap and call a kid the N word, be prepared for a punch.
If that was the case, how come more wasn't made.of this incident? Oh, that's right--Blount sucker punched Hout...
How is it a sucker punch if Hout knew it was coming? To me a sucker punch is when someone gets hit that has no idea it's coming but Blount was clearly winding up for the punch before Hout looked away.

Blount's actions were clearly out of line(especially after the punch) but so were the actions of Hout, the video board operator, and the BS fans that went after him(I seem to recall one even going after him with a chair or something). With the binary group think that's so common these days it's hardly surprising but it always bothered me that the other parties involved were given a free pass.
Just because there was a lot of blame to go around doesn't mean it needs to be spread equally. Hout shouldn't have said anything, but society equates aggressive physical action as being worse than words. And you are right, it wasn't a sucker punch, Coach Petersen set Hout up to get drilled by distracting him by yelling at him while Hout should have been preparing for what sometimes comes after being mouthy to someone who was obviously frustrated because they couldn't get it done on the field.

And no, not everyone was given a free pass...Hout got punched in the mouth, had it showed on Sports Center a zillion times and had to do "special conditioning" for what rumor says, the rest of the year. Video operator got suspended for multiple games. I believe they tracked down the moron with the chair and a few of the other zealous fanatics and revoked their season tickets.

The evening's biggest idiot got the biggest penalty and it probably was in balance to the severity of their action (video guy being dang lucky that further damage was not done). Ironically the whole fiasco ended up saving Blount a year of wear-and-tear on his legs which probably has put some good money in his pocket in the long run.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Quacktaggular wrote:
rekcuf wrote:

Back on topic: If Taggart can make another solid hire like the one being rumored I think that momentum should be back on our side again, it would be especially great if it can be finalized before NSD.
Don't get your hopes up on Craig.
gosterman01
Three Star Recruit

Post by gosterman01 »

So about that potential coach?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
scoducks
Three Star Recruit

Post by scoducks »

Do you guys think Taggart will just get a low profile coach to be CO-OC? Or do you think he is going to Mullens and say F your salary budget i'm going to make it rain for my coaches?
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

buckmarkduck wrote:
Quacktaggular wrote:
rekcuf wrote:

:cry:
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

buckmarkduck wrote:
Quacktaggular wrote:
rekcuf wrote:

I didn't get my hopes up on Joe, Jim or Mario but was pleasantly surprised so....... :D
Quacktaggular
High School Drop Out

Post by Quacktaggular »

lomiton wrote:Just because there was a lot of blame to go around doesn't mean it needs to be spread equally. Hout shouldn't have said anything, but society equates aggressive physical action as being worse than words. And you are right, it wasn't a sucker punch, Coach Petersen set Hout up to get drilled by distracting him by yelling at him while Hout should have been preparing for what sometimes comes after being mouthy to someone who was obviously frustrated because they couldn't get it done on the field.

And no, not everyone was given a free pass...Hout got punched in the mouth, had it showed on Sports Center a zillion times and had to do "special conditioning" for what rumor says, the rest of the year. Video operator got suspended for multiple games. I believe they tracked down the moron with the chair and a few of the other zealous fanatics and revoked their season tickets.

The evening's biggest idiot got the biggest penalty and it probably was in balance to the severity of their action (video guy being dang lucky that further damage was not done). Ironically the whole fiasco ended up saving Blount a year of wear-and-tear on his legs which probably has put some good money in his pocket in the long run.
I didn't mean to imply that I thought that there was equal blame, just that it wasn't as one sided as it's been made out to be. I was talking about the free pass more in terms of public narrative though I wasn't aware that there were repercussions for the video board operator or fans that got out of hand.

@buckmarkduck: I'm not going to get my hopes up unless there's something more concrete than a rumor but if you're saying it's NOT going to happen that's a (mild) bummer.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I'm saying it's not going to happen. There's no interest on Taggarts part.
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

buckmarkduck wrote:I'm saying it's not going to happen. There's no interest on Taggarts part.
How do you know this?
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
scoducks
Three Star Recruit

Post by scoducks »

TualatinDuck wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:I'm saying it's not going to happen. There's no interest on Taggarts part.
How do you know this?
is he just trying to his name out there for a hefty raise from coach O?
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

Hines-esque