Arrests coming to NCAA BB programs and apparel firm!!

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck24
Senior

Re: Arrests coming to NCAA BB programs and apparel firm!!

Post by Duck24 »

Duck07 wrote:It's an interesting notion to think that we believe in Liberty yet we demand that young athletes NOT be allowed to make any money whatsoever when others are profiting off of their playing a game. Why do we believe in consent for some issues but not for others? Hopefully it'd start driving down some of the exorbitant coaching salaries as well. Just about every state's highest paid public employee is a sports coach. The states don't need to be in this business, let private industry take care of it.
But but but...free education and all the perks (chicks) that come with being a D1 athlete! Isn’t that pay enough?

/sarcasm/
laxattack22
One Star Recruit

Post by laxattack22 »

Just trying to read between the lines here, was "player 10" named in the report that was paid 100k to attend Louisville (aka University 6) actually confirmed to be Brian Bowen? Or is that just being hypothesized at this point?
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Anyone have a good recap of Bowen's recruitment and any relevant details? The OLive article I read said he likely paid his own way to Eugene with his Mom after using up his official visits elsewhere.
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

Duck24 wrote:
Duck07 wrote:It's an interesting notion to think that we believe in Liberty yet we demand that young athletes NOT be allowed to make any money whatsoever when others are profiting off of their playing a game. Why do we believe in consent for some issues but not for others? Hopefully it'd start driving down some of the exorbitant coaching salaries as well. Just about every state's highest paid public employee is a sports coach. The states don't need to be in this business, let private industry take care of it.
But but but...free education and all the perks (chicks) that come with being a D1 athlete! Isn’t that pay enough?

/sarcasm/
As someone who did not have the athletic skill to get a full ride scholarship and had to take out loans for tuition its weird to me that you would use free education sarcastically.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

laxattack22 wrote:Just trying to read between the lines here, was "player 10" named in the report that was paid 100k to attend Louisville (aka University 6) actually confirmed to be Brian Bowen? Or is that just being hypothesized at this point?
It’s 100% Bowen. If you go on Twitter, a handful of sports media have proven University 6 is Louisville based off of parts of the indictment (public research institute in Kentucky, enrollment numbers/D1 sports numbers that are identical to Louisville) and Bowen is the only commit in that timeframe. So confirmed by the FBI, no, but 100% him via process of elimination.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

justducky0 wrote:As someone who did not have the athletic skill to get a full ride scholarship and had to take out loans for tuition its weird to me that you would use free education sarcastically.
It's not a free education, you have to play for it and have it renewed. The larger point is that the employee has no means whatsoever to change the contract with the employer, ergo there is zero consent involved. You either accept or you don't get to play. Same is true for laws that require employers to pay their employee a minimum wage.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

justducky0 wrote:
Duck24 wrote:

/sarcasm/
As someone who did not have the athletic skill to get a full ride scholarship and had to take out loans for tuition its weird to me that you would use free education sarcastically.
Welcome to the club. I took out a 5 series BMW worth of loans to pay for my in-state undergrad degree and am still paying on those 10 year after graduation.

Most of these guys have no business graduating high school let alone getting into college which is why I mock the “free education”. They don’t qualify the same way you and I do. They are handheld through high school to ensure they meet the NCAA Clearinghouse requirements. They get to college and are ushered into diploma mill majors, continue to have their hands held by tutors in order to keep them eligible. They graduate 4-5 years later really not having done any work, ill equipped to do anything outside of sports. The only education they get is a rough life lesson in what it’s like to be used up and spit out by the college athletics machine. That’s why I mock the free education. Are there exceptions? Absolutely but by in large, the concept of a student athlete is an absurd joke.
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

Duck07 wrote:
justducky0 wrote:As someone who did not have the athletic skill to get a full ride scholarship and had to take out loans for tuition its weird to me that you would use free education sarcastically.
It's not a free education, you have to play for it and have it renewed. The larger point is that the employee has no means whatsoever to change the contract with the employer, ergo there is zero consent involved. You either accept or you don't get to play. Same is true for laws that require employers to pay their employee a minimum wage.
What is your point though?
If i did not keep a certain GPA I would have lost what scholarships I did receive. It's the same deal.
I am saying that "free" education should no be so easily discounted as a positive for athletes. ESPECIALLY because the majority of these players would never go to college without their athletic ability in the first place.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

justducky0 wrote:What is your point though?
If i did not keep a certain GPA I would have lost what scholarships I did receive. It's the same deal.
I am saying that "free" education should no be so easily discounted as a positive for athletes. ESPECIALLY because the majority of these players would never go to college without their athletic ability in the first place.
I thought my point was pretty straightforward in that the athlete is only given one option whereas in a free market, that is up to the employee AND employer to determine. Further, for someone who is a 1 and done player, what is the real advantage of taking those classes when their only interest is in the sport? You're now forcing them to engage in supporting the facade that they really don't have an interest in.

We could try the NCAA model in other areas, such as if we did this with young fashion models, or actors and musicians. You don't get a monetary compensation but you get exposure to your craft and your schooling paid for. Who would think that is fair in a capitalistic society?
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

UNLV is an ADIDAS school.....
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Just finished reading most of the indictments and some serious heads are going to roll. Wouldn't be surprised if some HCs and ADs lost their jobs over this. It'll be interesting to see what kind of fallout this has for the NCAA, the shoe companies, and the recruiting game in general.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

greenyellow wrote:Just finished reading most of the indictments and some serious heads are going to roll. Wouldn't be surprised if some HCs and ADs lost their jobs over this. It'll be interesting to see what kind of fallout this has for the NCAA, the shoe companies, and the recruiting game in general.
Any day now the NCAA is going to determine a penalty for decades long abuse from UNC professors and giving athletes grades. Right? The criminal stuff will determine how bad it is for a few but the rest is likely just basic wrist slaps. They haven't done squat to Baylor and that was major Title 9 breaches over seriously heinous stuff while Ken Starr was the President of the school. Just what good is the NCAA anymore at enforcing any of its rules?
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Why do I continuously read articles that indicate that these athletes have no options except to attend college? For example, if they want to get paid to play basketball, they have several other choices besides college. The minimum age for the NBA D-League draft is 18, not 19 like the NBA. Therefore, they can enter the D-League draft out of high school and get PAID to prepare for the NBA. They can also go overseas and get PAID to play. Brandon Jennings did this as well as several other players. IMO, the only thing that needs to change is the 19 year old requirement for the NBA draft. Kids should absolutely be allowed to enter the NBA draft when they graduate HS if they are good enough and choose to go that route.

College should be a choice. If you want the free education, then great. If not, pick a different option.

On a side note, football is the only sport that does not hold up since they really don't have any other option. And that clearly needs to change.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

northbeachsf wrote:Why are people acting like these kids have no options except to attend college? If they want to get paid to play basketball, they have several other choices besides college:
1) The minimum age for the NBA D-League is 18, not 19 like the NBA. Therefore, they can enter the D-League draft out of high school and get PAID to prepare for the NBA.
2) They can also go overseas and get PAID to play. Brandon Jennings did this as well as several other players.

IMO, the only thing that needs to change is the 19 year old requirement for the NBA draft. Kids should absolutely be allowed to enter the NBA draft when they graduate HS if they are good enough and choose to go that route.

College should be a choice. If you want the free education, then great. If not, there are other options.
Well as I'm the one who brought it up, my point is that by going to college, your options are forced upon you which is why I think another route will open up, starting with younger students than 18. There are a limited number of G-Leauge teams and the international experience for Jennings needed a lot of work, which is why I made the suggestion of using regional and international teams as a better alternative. I just need to get on Shark Tank and pitch it to Mark Cuban who has talked about funding an alternative to College Basketball that pays players, lol. It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to tweak some of the soccer academy methods used by pro clubs.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Duck07 wrote:
Duck24 wrote:
justducky0 wrote:Brian Bowen at UL is being involved with Pitino ... maybe a reason Oregon cooled on him?
$100K in four $25k installments but Pitino was “lucky”. :roll:

Not sure why sports media/fans are acting so surprised. Have they had their heads buried in the sand for the past 10 years? Why do they think sports apparel companies are sponsoring top flight AAU teams, dropping hundreds of thousands of dollars?
and we thought guys like Sonny Vaccaro were bad for the game.

I really think the answer to this, especially for basketball, is to simply create Elite Global Academies to pay these kids to play ball against other international talent and place the education emphasis on more personalized teaching. In essence, expand what Brandon Jennings did by bypassing college and allow them a more structured system that caters to teaching the game. Digital Broadcasting platforms are becoming so vast that there a lots of ways to capitalize on the games and pay them. Like Menudo for basketball players, once you're 19/20 you can't be in the band anymore.

The whole "student-athlete" narrative for some sports is such an utter joke that it's not even worth trying to argue for anymore so something new is probably the best way to go.
That would be financially devastating to the NCAA, so yeah...I can't see them allowing such a thing to happen.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!