#11 WSU @ Oregon (Oct. 7, Sat 5 PM FOX)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

Re: #11 WSU @ Oregon (Oct. 7, Sat 5 PM FOX)

Post by GrantDuck »

Our fans leaving the game are absolutely pathetic, I'm sorry.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

GrantDuck wrote:Our fans leaving the game are absolutely pathetic, I'm sorry.
Can't say I blame them with tonight's game.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

First time we hold WSU under 400 yards since 2009.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

The announcers were just saying how good Braxton has looked when rolling out of the pocket and throwing, and then they credited the coaching staff for building a game plan that takes advantage of that.

I'm sorry, were they watching a different game?
Willie Taggart is a dick.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Student section is abysmal. Going to the lottery system was such a terrible idea. Killed the vibe, it used to be the passionate students that waited in line and now it's just kids going on a whim cause they have a free ticket so 'what the heck'.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

lukeyrid13 wrote:
Student section is abysmal. Going to the lottery system was such a terrible idea. Killed the vibe, it used to be the passionate students that waited in line and now it's just kids going on a whim cause they have a free ticket so 'what the heck'.
Yep, I remember my last year of grad school, to most of the students games are a social outing, not a game.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

The cupboard is bare, our young guys are talented but inexperienced. Depth is also a concern. I'm just a little disappointed that our offensive playcalling is not taking advantage of our players' skillsets.
Yeah, well said.

I know I've been more critical than usual tonight, but I'm less disappointed/alarmed and more just "surprised" by how conservative Taggart has been all season. I just didn't expect it. Tonight, in my opinion, he simply didn't put forth a "winning" game plan. (By that, I mean "playing to win" vs. "playing not to lose.") Going for it on fourth down is great -- but on a predictable dive up the middle, I couldn't have been the only one who suspected we'd get stopped. His clock management at the end of the first half, with no effort to go for the field goal -- that just seemed weird to me. Yes, it was one of those situations where arguments could be made either way... but the way Taggart chose to deal with that was incredibly conservative.

I feel the end of the half kind of summarized our whole offensive gameplan. An argument could be made for carrying it out, sure -- young QB, young receivers -- but it just wasn't a gameplan that put our players in a position to win. And if a gameplan doesn't do that, then what's the point? Even a good defense isn't going to keep WSU from scoring at least 21-28 points.
Last edited by pezsez1 on Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
jefflockie
One Star Recruit

Post by jefflockie »

I'm really disappointed with the offensive play calling this year. A better offensive staff would have had a gameplan with more gimmicks to help us generate points in difficult times. There must be someone who can run the wildcat on this staff. Some wide receiver who can throw a pass...
CanadianQuackers
Two Star Recruit

Post by CanadianQuackers »

I don't see an issue with play calling but I've also watched may more football than someone should have at my age.

The WR's do not get open. Let me repeat that, they DO NOT GET OPEN. What else do you want to see? Motion, screens, sweeps have all been done. The OL can't generate much of a run game and now with Braxton B at QB it's limited the game plan. To remind everyone he's the QB who was going to be redshirted even though there were only 2 scholarship QB's in front of him. You could tell he was not making any pre-snap adjustments or reading the D, which is to be expected but it still means that there's not much else to be done.

What I like about this team is that they're running the game the same way throughout, it's consistent. They aren't just swinging for the fences when the games out of reach - there's the mindset that the young guys need to log real playing time. Maybe it will be an unpopular opinion but then again, it seems to me as though we're all sitting at home or wherever while the coaches are all making big money and doing a pretty damn good job with an empty barren and young team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

defense played well overall, but the offensive line has got to play way better in order to win even one of these next four games.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

CanadianQuackers wrote:I don't see an issue with play calling but I've also watched may more football than someone should have at my age.

The WR's do not get open. Let me repeat that, they DO NOT GET OPEN. What else do you want to see? Motion, screens, sweeps have all been done. The OL can't generate much of a run game and now with Braxton B at QB it's limited the game plan. To remind everyone he's the QB who was going to be redshirted even though there were only 2 scholarship QB's in front of him. You could tell he was not making any pre-snap adjustments or reading the D, which is to be expected but it still means that there's not much else to be done.

What I like about this team is that they're running the game the same way throughout, it's consistent. They aren't just swinging for the fences when the games out of reach - there's the mindset that the young guys need to log real playing time. Maybe it will be an unpopular opinion but then again, it seems to me as though we're all sitting at home or wherever while the coaches are all making big money and doing a pretty damn good job with an empty barren and young team.

This is interesting, so you’re saying that Willie is just investing into the future? I could see that and that could explain the play calling. But yeah the offense is barren, for me the biggest thing was after WSU’s muffed punt in the 4th I wanted to see something. I wanted to see a hurry up and energy. Instead we saw runs up the middle after using almost all of the play clock. That did bother me cause it felt like they waved the white flag. Yeah it was improbable the ducks come back down 20 but hey, it’s not impossible. Unless if it’s impossible to win, I don’t ever want to see my team quit.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

CanadianQuackers wrote:I don't see an issue with play calling but I've also watched may more football than someone should have at my age.

Agree completely. The team is just too beat up and young to reasonably do much more than it did tonight. They're still about a year or two away from competing for a division title due to the neglect and turnover from the last couple years of Helf's tenure.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

It's funny, you can tell who's been a duck for longer than 2010. Chip for all his greatness, wouldn't have gotten much more out of this O today. Our WR are down to a bunch of Fr, and the OL had all kinds of trouble against that DL.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

"Why don't they just run that touchdown play everytime"

Burmeister has talent, but he was a deer in headlights tonight. The DL was shifting, there were some weird blitzes. Braxton didn't have the option to check to other routes or change runs. He made a multiple wrong calls on the meshes. After one or two reads he looked to run.

The penalties don't help, but you can only do so much when the D is banking correctly on runs