Report: DC Jim Leavitt not with Oregon anymore

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

TualatinDuck
Senior

Re: Report: DC Jim Leavitt not with Oregon anymore

Post by TualatinDuck »

FlDuckFan wrote:Small unsubstantiated rumor on reddit is that there was ultimately a pissing match yesterday.
My insider is telling me that Cristo and Leavitt got into a huge fight today and had to be separated. Cristobal said he was close to getting fired and Leavitt responded saying F*** you fire me, no, F*** you, im gone.
Interesting, have a link for that?
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

TualatinDuck wrote:
FlDuckFan wrote:Small unsubstantiated rumor on reddit is that there was ultimately a pissing match yesterday.
My insider is telling me that Cristo and Leavitt got into a huge fight today and had to be separated. Cristobal said he was close to getting fired and Leavitt responded saying F*** you fire me, no, F*** you, im gone.
Just a comment on reddit that only a small # of people saw
https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/a ... ?context=2
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

FlDuckFan wrote:
TualatinDuck wrote:
Just a comment on reddit that only a small # of people saw
https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/a ... ?context=2
$100 it was Canzano posting that on Reddit.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Am I understanding this correctly? Why does everyone seem excited about this move? Because on the outside it looks like we parted ways with one of our last true X and O guys and promoted a guy who got fired from USC, didnt get an interview with his old teammates from the school he graduated from for a DC position, has no experience as a defensive coordinator, and who coached the 91st ranked pass defense last year.

This should go well. I guess we can just pray that this guy is the second coming Buddy Ryan or something.like that.
Even Helfrich attempted to interview a few people.
This seems like a monster gamble. I hope it works out.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

northbeachsf wrote:Am I understanding this correctly? Why does everyone seem excited about this move? Because on the outside it looks like we parted ways with one of our last true X and O guys and promoted a guy who got fired from USC, didnt get an interview with his old teammates from the school he graduated from for a DC position, has no experience as a defensive coordinator, and who coached the 91st ranked pass defense last year.

This should go well. I guess we can just pray that this guy is the second coming Buddy Ryan or something.like that.
actually he was pursued very hard by OS and Jonathan Smith. He did not want to return to OS for various reasons one of which was personal in nature.

There is way more to this Leavitt thing than is public. Lots of opinions being formed without lots of facts. I am not implying you are doing that, I am just saying this is a highly nuanced situation.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

lmduck wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:Am I understanding this correctly? Why does everyone seem excited about this move? Because on the outside it looks like we parted ways with one of our last true X and O guys and promoted a guy who got fired from USC, didnt get an interview with his old teammates from the school he graduated from for a DC position, has no experience as a defensive coordinator, and who coached the 91st ranked pass defense last year.

actually he was pursued very hard by OS and Jonathan Smith. He did not want to return to OS for various reasons one of which was personal in nature.

There is way more to this Leavitt thing than is public. Lots of opinions being formed without lots of facts. I am not implying you are doing that, I am just saying this is a highly nuanced situation.
Completely understand your poiint. Just wondering why we didn’t even interview anyone. This is a HUGE gamble for a program that is on a Top-10 type of upward trajectory.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

northbeachsf wrote:
lmduck wrote:

Completely understand your poiint. Just wondering why we didn’t even interview anyone. This is a HUGE gamble for a program that is on a Top-10 type of upward trajectory.

Why hire from outside and risk pissing off your two Co-DC's who recruit well, and if rumors are true one of them pretty much had a year long tryout while Leavitt took a back seat most of the year.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Where are you seeing that everyone is excited? There's a ton of concern throughout this thread.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

FlDuckFan wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:
lmduck wrote:

Why hire from outside and risk pissing off your two Co-DC's who recruit well, and if rumors are true one of them pretty much had a year long tryout while Leavitt took a back seat most of the year.
X2, I agree 100%! It's time to stable the ship and not let it get worst. There have been enough rumbles in the recent past, plus Leavitt was a no show for the latest recruiting period, to me it was obvious things were a little uneasy with the coaching staff. At least Helf and crew kept their internal problems quite for a while, this must have been a open power struggle. Time to get a couple good LB coaches, saw they were wanting to hire both Alan inside and outside backer coach........... how about Chris Miller! :mrgreen: Kidding Ashland, lol
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I think there are both minds here. I, for one, am very concerned about this move. It seems like a lot of posters have come to take kindly to high recruiting rankings, while I guess I've seen far too many instances of wasted talent - Sarkisian and Lane Kiffin's staffs could recruit lights out, but they couldn't coach their way out of a paper bag. Even with all the talent in the world, Heyward is a huge gamble, and basically no chance he's as good as Leavitt, who has very few peers in the college ranks and that's why he makes the big bucks.
Last edited by StevensTechU on Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

FlDuckFan wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:
lmduck wrote:

If that is the case, then that is even more concerning because Oregon's defense had a pretty significant drop off from 2017 to 2018.

And so what if they get pissed off. I don't understand this reasoning. You need to get the best person for the job. With the kind of money that Oregon has been shelling out, they possibly could have landed a great coordinator with a lot of job experience. But I guess we will never know.

As STU stated, recruiting means nothing without coaching. I could start listing countless examples of teams that have recruited well and done nothing with it over the past 10 years. We now have one coordinator that looks like he runs a Pop Warner offense and another with zero experience.

Sorry, but this has Don Pellum 2.0 written all over it. To make matters worse, we don't have a decent offensive coordinator to allow him a few years to get his legs under him.

My initial thought is that there is a better than average chance that Cristobal just signed his pink slip with that move (assuming it is true). I really like the guy, so I hope I am wrong.
Last edited by northbeachsf on Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Has Mario announced Heyward being put in that position? Has Mullins announced it? All ive heard
is he's high on the list....until its announced for sure im not going to panic. Even if he's the
one its not even close to pellum/hoke but i all we can do is sit back and watch. If it does not work
then Mario is the one who feels the heat and should.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

duckfan22 wrote:Has Mario announced Heyward being put in that position? Has Mullins announced it? All ive heard
is he's high on the list....until its announced for sure im not going to panic. Even if he's the
one its not even close to pellum/hoke but i all we can do is sit back and watch. If it does not work
I hope you are right and it is not official yet. It seems close to Pellum and Hoke on my end. Both were decent position coaches that had no experience and no business being defensive coordinators at a Top-25 school.

Again, maybe the guy will crush it and I hope he does, but it seems like a MONSTER gamble
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

northbeachsf wrote:
duckfan22 wrote:Has Mario announced Heyward being put in that position? Has Mullins announced it? All ive heard
Why is it not close to Pellum or Hoke? Both were decent position coaches that had no experience and no business being defensive coordinators at a Top-25 school. It looks pretty similar on my end.

Again, maybe the guy will crush it and I hope he does, but it seems like a MONSTER gamble
I totally understand what you are saying. My thoughts is because both Hoke and Pellum were old school
even as postition coaches. Pellum a far better linebacker coach then Hoke as a d line coach. With Heyward
he's been co-defensive cordinator and has been they very involved in game planning the d. Who better
to learn from then Leavitt. Im not opposed to giving a young guy with some smarts a chance if Mario feels
he can do it. But i would hope we wait to see who out there with more experience comes forward.