South Sweet 16: #12 Oregon vs #1 Virginia (3/28 7 PM TBS)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: South Sweet 16: #12 Oregon vs #1 Virginia (3/28 7 PM TBS

Post by Duck07 »

7 to 0 in offense rebounds and we've had another 3 go off our hands on defensive boards. 10 extra possessions for UVA is why they've taken 11 more shots than we have.

Not sure who is playing worse on offense though right now.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Well, eight points is surmountable, but we're going to need a guy or two to get hot. Meanwhile, we have to limit the open 3s they're getting. Not feeling great overall but we'll see.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Outscored by 12 to end the half. 30-22 at halftime. Have to play better on offense instead of so much hero ball and we absolutely cannot lose the rebounding battle that badly. 7-0 in offensive rebounds.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I hate to say it but Virgina just flat out looks like a better team. Wooten desperately needs to at least have some sort of offensive game besides dunks. Bennett has also figured out the Oregon defense, but it’d help if the refs would call the moving screens on blondie.

Also you know how there’s guys like Kazemi who do all of the little things? That’s the opposite of Paul White. Sure he can get hot and provide some offense, but his defense and rebounding are piss poor and he’s hurt the team with some lazy post defense tonight. I would like to see Okoro play more and White less, but I’m sure Altman would be scared of the lack of offense that’d exist with Okoro and Wooten on the floor.

Is Bailey Jr injured? Or just in the doghouse? I’m afraid he’s gonna transfer which sucks cause he’ll be valuable next season and I think he’d be valuable in a game like tonight with his quickness and mid range jumper.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

That was probably Oregon's worst half since this win streak began. Defensively, they aren't boxing out enough, allowing UVA to get tons of extra shots. On offense, they just seem tentative and are missing some wide-open shots. They need to get Pritchard and King going.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

Defensive intensity hasn’t been there like it has been. A few more shots do need to start falling, or this can get ugly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

Well....I'd much rather be winning...

On the positive side....Oregon played poor on offense and every bounce went Virginia's way...only down 8.

If Oregon and keep up the generally tough D and limit the wide open 3s, they have a chance to come back.
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
AshlandDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by AshlandDuck »

Tray Dub wrote:Well, eight points is surmountable, but we're going to need a guy or two to get hot. Meanwhile, we have to limit the open 3s they're getting. Not feeling great overall but we'll see.
Many open looks, but part of that too is Virginia's ability to control the ball efficiently and find the open man. The effort is there, but sometimes good offense can beat good defense.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Tray Dub wrote:Well, eight points is surmountable, but we're going to need a guy or two to get hot. Meanwhile, we have to limit the open 3s they're getting. Not feeling great overall but we'll see.
The open 3's and the blonde guy, time after time he's been wide open for an uncontested layup.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Merganzer wrote:
The open 3's and the blonde guy, time after time he's been wide open for an uncontested layup.
He sets solid screens, though half of them he’s moving/holding.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

At this point, Altman is riding the hot hand in Amin, who is taking up the majority of the minutes that him and Bailey were sharing earlier in the season.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I’m afraid King is turning into a defensive liability with his hurt ankle.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Offense looks much closer to competent.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Seems Oregon is being much more aggressive in taking it to the rim, especially Pritchard.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Hahahahaha heck yes Amin! Fantastic flop!