GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Potential 2019-20 roster additions

Post by UOducksTK1 »

meh

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

He even says that the roster uncertainty with Oregon played a part in him choosing ASU.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Damn. If any of the player who transferred out did so for more playing time they really screwed the pooch. Any one of them could of had 40 minutes a game at this point.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Oregon now really scraping the bottom of the barrel for grad transfers:
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

Think Altnan should be in crisis miode now. The players in the transfer window now are of Oregon State quality. They aren't really going to push the needle. There's a reason we are missing out on so many guys. But why I don't know.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

mattc94 wrote:Think Altnan should be in crisis miode now. The players in the transfer window now are of Oregon State quality. They aren't really going to push the needle. There's a reason we are missing out on so many guys. But why I don't know.
It's really incredible considering Altman's record of getting transfers and having them thrive. Was there an assistant coaching change I missed ? Did we lose our 'transfer whisperer' ? Did the FBI - Nike investigation have an impact we don't (or want) to know about?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

mattc94 wrote:Think Altnan should be in crisis miode now. The players in the transfer window now are of Oregon State quality. They aren't really going to push the needle. There's a reason we are missing out on so many guys. But why I don't know.
Right now it seems no one wants to join a team with only 6 scholarship players. Altman and his staff should have had more backup options with them knowing Bol and King were likely one-and-dones and them typically having 1-2 transfers every off-season. This feels like 2014-15 all over but without a certifiable star/scorer like Joe Young to build around.
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
It's really incredible considering Altman's record of getting transfers and having them thrive. Was there an assistant coaching change I missed ? Did we lose our 'transfer whisperer' ? Did the FBI - Nike investigation have an impact we don't (or want) to know about?
I don't know but maybe recruits are talking and there are some bad feelings out there. Bailey and Norris may have blabbed to other potential recruits. These guys do talk. But considering we have TWO players in the draft, maybe even three if Wooten gets a late second round.... there is no logical reason we should be losing out on this many players. It's like 1+1 = 0 ... we shouldn't be this cold. You don't pick up guys that are top level recruits and then one recruiting window after a Sweet Sixteen not pick up anybody.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Looks like Altman may have to start all over next year. Not sure what's going on but this feels very very weird. I highly doubt Altman went from a solid recruiter to a crap recruiter in one season, so something else seems to be brewing. Not sure what's going on but it's sure making it hard for Altman. Doesn't look like we're gonna have a good season next year.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Looks like Altman may have to start all over next year. Not sure what's going on but this feels very very weird. I highly doubt Altman went from a solid recruiter to a crap recruiter in one season, so something else seems to be brewing. Not sure what's going on but it's sure making it hard for Altman. Doesn't look like we're gonna have a good season next year.
Or, it could be as simple as
greenyellow wrote:Right now it seems no one wants to join a team with only 6 scholarship players. Altman and his staff should have had more backup options with them knowing Bol and King were likely one-and-dones and them typically having 1-2 transfers every off-season. This feels like 2014-15 all over but without a certifiable star/scorer like Joe Young to build around.
The rough part to reconcile is that last season screamed momentum builder.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

So far these are the players who Oregon has been connected to and still have a chance to add for next season:

Grad transfers: Kelvin Jones, Tevin Mack, Shakur Juiston
2019 recruits: Niven Glover
Reclassifying 2020 recruits: N'Faly Dante, Addison Patterson
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

greenyellow wrote:
Right now it seems no one wants to join a team with only 6 scholarship players. Altman and his staff should have had more backup options with them knowing Bol and King were likely one-and-dones and them typically having 1-2 transfers every off-season. This feels like 2014-15 all over but without a certifiable star/scorer like Joe Young to build around.
This. We lost 6 underclassmen (Norris, Kigab, Bailey, King, Bol, and Wooten) this year. That's gonna hurt you a lot. Recruits/transfers want playing time, but they also want to compete. And with the roster we have right now, it's not very attractive to them. If Wooten stayed, I'd argue that would have even changed the opinion of a player or two.

Tough spot to be in.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Merganzer wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Looks like Altman may have to start all over next year. Not sure what's going on but this feels very very weird. I highly doubt Altman went from a solid recruiter to a crap recruiter in one season, so something else seems to be brewing. Not sure what's going on but it's sure making it hard for Altman. Doesn't look like we're gonna have a good season next year.
Or, it could be as simple as
greenyellow wrote:Right now it seems no one wants to join a team with only 6 scholarship players. Altman and his staff should have had more backup options with them knowing Bol and King were likely one-and-dones and them typically having 1-2 transfers every off-season. This feels like 2014-15 all over but without a certifiable star/scorer like Joe Young to build around.
The rough part to reconcile is that last season screamed momentum builder.
If there's 3 transfers, sure I see what you're saying, but there has been 6 and even before the major transfers Altman wasn't landing any of the big juco players. Maybe you're right and this is just a fluke situation, but feels off to me.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

I think the bottom line is, the staff needs to have a much better understanding of the pulse of players on the team. This goes both with possible transfers and possible early entries.

It's really hard to say oh this staff can't recruit when we got a 5* and a 4* recruit in the class and had a massive class last year. Barring injuries, we had the talent for a Final 4 run this season. Recruiting isn't the issue in terms of talent, but it is in terms of numbers.

Norris, Kigab, Bailey, why are all these guys transferring? What about the environment don't they like? When you've got a potential starter in Norris transferring, something weird is going on there. If they indicate early they might transfer, we need to be offering some developmental guys from overseas(see Gonzaga).
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Who was the last "project" we took? Sorkin? Kid stayed 4 years. Was he the best player? No...but with the status of our program now, it shouldn't be hard to get a kid out of Australia, Europe, Africa, etc. that we can develop and be a solid player by his senior year.

That's where we're missing in recruiting right now. These 5 star brats like Norris who leave when they don't play right away are worth a gamble, but you have to supplement that knowing they might transfer.