#16 Oregon @ Stanford (Sept. 21, Sat 4 PM ESPN)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck4Ever
Three Star Recruit

Re: #16 Oregon @ Stanford (Sept. 21, Sat 4 PM ESPN)

Post by Duck4Ever »

Why are some already panicking and thinking this is going to be a close game or a possible loss?

If a freshman quarterback had the game of his life last week against Stanford, what do you think Herbert will do? Add to that, Costello is going to have to go to the air because their running game ain’t gonna cut it. Too bad they can’t block and protect him, so I see at least a couple of turnovers for the Ducks D.

If jump balls were the way to wins for them this season, they wouldn’t have gotten destroyed by UCF. UCF is nowhere near the caliber of Oregon. Ducks win by at least 15 to 20 points.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

If anyone is panicking it is because the game is on the road. Do you think last year that Oregon had less talent than say Washington State or Arizona. I think most here think we had better talent. Talent alone does not win games. Oregon was out of those games before half time. I think Oregon wins but I think it will be close because Oregon is a different team on the road and our OC does not have the killer mentality and goes conservative causing the offense to be ineffective.
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

56-10 oregon
Duck4Ever
Three Star Recruit

Post by Duck4Ever »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:If anyone is panicking it is because the game is on the road. Do you think last year that Oregon had less talent than say Washington State or Arizona. I think most here think we had better talent. Talent alone does not win games. Oregon was out of those games before half time. I think Oregon wins but I think it will be close because Oregon is a different team on the road and our OC does not have the killer mentality and goes conservative causing the offense to be ineffective.

You’ve forgotten the issue with dropped balls which has been corrected thanks to the new WRs coach. Other than that, players need to execute and control their anxiety. Coaches can’t control everything.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

As I have not seen Stanford play this year, though obviously am aware of their game results, I'm happy to see all the confidence, by and large, shown on this board in the Ducks getting the job done Saturday, perhaps even decisively. And it's not lost on me that the Ducks were installed as, and remain, a 10 point favorite on the road. I think it's a huge opportunity for the Ducks, not only to "avenge" last season's horrifying loss to the Cardinal at Autzen, but to really set themselves up for the remainder of the (conference) season. They return home for a bye week to rest and get healthier and then have two very winnable-looking games at Autzen in Cal and Colorado before the @UW-WSU-@USC trifecta (before their final bye week).

But I still worry because, well, I'm a worrier. I suppose last year's game still stays with me. Also, it seems like Stanford has had an early season loss or two in the past and be written off, only to turn things around. I do realize that it hasn't looked THIS bad for Stanford in quite a while. But I respect David Shaw as a coach. The one goal the Cardinal can still actually have -- and I suspect they're telling themselves as much this week -- is winning the North, since, by itself, the loss to USC doesn't really hurt that at this point since the Cardinal have yet to play any of their North rivals.

Ultimately, I think that as long as the Ducks play smart and aggressive, and don't shoot themselves in the foot, they should mostly control the game and come out on top. And hopefully that Duck D will continue to show they're for real.
Last edited by Greenblood on Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
upperV03
Two Star Recruit

Post by upperV03 »

The Ducks will be going apple green/white/apple green down at The Farm:
This is a fantastic combo. Hopefully we play as good as we look and give Furd a nice beat down.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Yummy look! Look good, feel good, play good.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

Don't let up on this one guys. History is too strong.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Although Stanford is down this year, this will be our first real look at Oregon since the loss to Auburn -- which showed the Ducks have tons of potential but still too easily get in our own way.

There's no excuse here for predictable or vanilla playcalling. I've been tough on Arroyo for his lack of bold decisionmaking (last season and what we've seen so far), and I feel like if there's a game for him to prove his doubters wrong, this is the one. I'm willing to give him slack for Auburn being the first game of the season and without so many receivers... but with several weeks to get things together, it's time we see a complete (or near-complete) offensive gameplan come together. No more coming out strong and then getting shut down in the third quarter.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

I’m standing by my earlier prediction. ~42-21.

If we don’t win by multiple scores I’ll be very surprised. What I want to see:

* CJ Verdell being CJ Verdell. 100 yards on less than 20 carries should be the goal.

* WRs. What is going on with Juwan Johnson? Is it really an Achilles injury? JJIII and Breeland can’t be our only threats.

* Stop the run. Scarlett and Austin Jones shouldn’t tear us up. It all starts at the LOS.

* Contain Parkinson and the passes they love to throw over the middle.

* Pressure Costello. This is the one I’m most confident we can do. Their OL is banged up, and our guys on DL are rested.

* Convert short third downs. We know what this OL is capable of, and they need to be able to push them back.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

Did Juwan make the trip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Juwan Johnson is out, day to day until February. Enough with the games already, he's not playing this year.

Just hope Schooler/Pittman can get back and make a difference.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

GrantDuck wrote:Juwan Johnson is out, day to day until February. Enough with the games already, he's not playing this year.

Just hope Schooler/Pittman can get back and make a difference.
So the injury rumor was true. Damn. Not having luck with grad transfer WRs. That’s sad, hopefully Pittman/Schooler are back soon. Pittman’s brother destroyed Utah last night.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

I predict D Davis to go off tonight.