Other Teams Looking at Arroyo

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

droop10
Five Star Recruit

Re: Other Teams Looking at Arroyo

Post by droop10 »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:For years Mike Bellotti tried to get Nick hired as a HC. He got lots of interviews, but was never hired. History repeating?
How so? Arroyo has never been interviewed for a HC position, as far as I'm aware.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

wepto wrote:Oregon scoring offense by year (out of 130 FBS teams):

2016 - 27th (Helfrich)
2017 - 18th
2018 - 25th
2019 - 14th (after 11 games)

It makes sense that he's being looked at as a head coaching candidate. I thought he was light on experience when he was announced as OC, but the team has drastically improved since then. In regards to the issues that the offense has had this year--I really wonder how much of that is actually due to Arroyo--versus decisions coming from Cristobal.

Either way, the offense hasn't under performed and I expect it to only get better as long as Cristobal's recruiting success continues. If the staff can land three more classes with the same quality and quantity (staying at 85 scholarships players on the roster at the start of the year) there is every indication that this staff can put together a top 5 unit.
I’m not sure where those numbers are from, but 2016 they were 5th in scoring, not 27th.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/2016/team/27

I’m impressed with our offensive improvement from last year. The defensive and special teams TDs make it a little better, but Arroyo has definitely improved.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Scoring offense at 27th was for the 2016-17 season. Note the date on your link says "Through games January 11, 2016", ie the regular season games played in 2015 plus bowl games.

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/change_sport_year_div
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

maxduck wrote:Scoring offense at 27th was for the 2016-17 season. Note the date on your link says "Through games January 11, 2016", ie the regular season games played in 2015 plus bowl games.

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/change_sport_year_div

Ah, my bad. I thought the 2016 offense was better than that but being dragged down by the 120-something defense.

As a personal opinion I wouldn’t want to lose Arroyo. But his work last week and in the season opener leaves a lot to be desired. His recruiting seems to be top notch, and that plays into my thinking. You can win 8-9 games per year just by sheer talent and depth.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

He should be unemployed.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

GrantDuck wrote:He should be unemployed.
Right now, I'll take him being employed somewhere else.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

Curious if Arroyo looking around if he has been told after the year will be relieved of duty. I don't know. Just a random thought.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Maybe OSU was so impressed that they'll hire him! Would be an upgrade, right?
Willie Taggart is a dick.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

One redeeming thing. Mario tried to give Arroyo a raise during the off season, and Mullens said no. That was at the same time he approved other coaches getting raises.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

One redeeming thing. Mario tried to give Arroyo a raise during the off season, and Mullens said no. That was at the same time he approved other coaches getting raises.
All criticism aside, I'd seriously LOVE to be wrong about Arroyo being a good-but-not-great OC. In the meantime, I'm glad Mullens did his job and pumped the brakes on him.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I’m not sure how much to blame Arroyo for our offensive let downs and play selection, I certainly do not blame him for Herbert’s errant throws, a four year starter you had multiple coaching changes during his years here. The one thing I am sure of is both Cristabol and Avalos had my complete confidence and support very quickly, the fact that Arroyo does not is enough for me to know we can do better.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I have not been sold on Arroyo since last year. There were times this year his play calling was showing it was being more creative. Not enough though to make me think he is a good OC though. He might be able to recruit guys and that is a plus for him, but his in game call playing and lack of ability to adjust to what a defense is doing should be a loud alarm to Cristobal. The last two weeks should be alarming to Cristobal that has to be changes. Yes Herbert has been awful the last two weeks. Lot of it falls on Herbert. The lack of being able to adjust to a defense is what falls on Arroyo though.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

There are 3 main things for me in analyzing the Oregon offense: The Play of Herbert, the Calls of Arroyo and the Design of the offense.

To me, each has had equal issue at times. Herbert hasn't looked like a 1st round QB or showcased Advanced Passing skills. Arroyo has had good calls at times and other times he's been far too timid to open the offense up. Finally, the offense itself does no help to either the QB or the Play-Caller because the use of the Pistol formation tends to make us more predictable as does our need to "establish our physicality by running the ball straight at you (like an idiot would)."

Going forward, Herbert is gone and we have the chance to at least move from the Pistol variation. Maybe we find out that Arroyo really does have better stuff up his sleeve but after 2 years while I don't think he's some Ace OC, I also don't think he's the biggest problem on offense and in the brief amount of time I've seen Shough in the last 7 months I tend to say lets see if Arroyo really can coach and if some of these issues weren't more from Herbert just not seeing the open play.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Last season only one receiver could catch the ball and the theme was the play calling sucked. This year as the receivers demonstrated competence and the play calling became acceptable, sometimes even creative. Justin Herbert hits a slump and the play calling again sucks. We won't confuse Arroyo with Chip Kelly but it isn't all on him.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

maxduck wrote:Last season only one receiver could catch the ball and the theme was the play calling sucked. This year as the receivers demonstrated competence and the play calling became acceptable, sometimes even creative. Justin Herbert hits a slump and the play calling again sucks. We won't confuse Arroyo with Chip Kelly but it isn't all on him.
One thing I am certain about Arroyo as an OC, he is no Chip, he is no Helf and the mere fact I am uncertain about how much is on him tells me he probably is not the one. If we could make the adjustment during the game, mix up the play calling, if a play is working don’t use it again...... that is all on Arroyo, Herbert is on Herbert.