Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: NBA Players Boycotting Games

Post by UOducksTK1 »

pezsez1 wrote:
Have you laid hands on an officer before? If you committed a crime, have you ever attempted to flee or resist arrest?
You're still doing it. You're making excuses (hypothetical ones) for why police are significantly more likely to murder black people than white people.

I can play that game, too! Are you saying that only black people have ever resisted police?

See? All this whataboutism is total BS. Just stop talking and LISTEN. You will never really learn until you stop making excuses for your beliefs and start LISTENING to what people of color are saying about their experiences.
Have you ever heard of data interpolation? Interpolate this...

110 blacks shot and killed by police this year. (13.4% of america is black)
215 non-hispanic whites shot and killed by police this year. (60.4% of america is white)
557 americans total shot and killed by police this year.

This means 19.7% of the people shot and killed by police are black. That is NOT an extreme stat. It's a little higher than their population number. But there are other factors that may contribute.

Here is one. For a group of only 13.4% of the population, here are percentage numbers for violent crimes that would be most relevant for police dealing with people:
53% of all Murder and nonnegligent manslaughter are committed by black americans.
35% of Aggravated assault are committed by black americans.

To me, if 40% of violent crimes are committed by ANY race, I'd expect arrests and violent police encounters to be closer to this number than the population number. Non-Hispanic whites have a lower percentage of violent crimes than blacks, yet are shot and killed at a rate of 39%.

So you can't just factor population. It is a highly weighted factor. However, You must also factor in violence against a certain demographic.

So for violent crimes to be at 40% and police are only shooting and killing 19%, That number is exceptional.

Can we lower police shootings? Probably. If people of all races, including my own, started respecting authority, we would cut these numbers in half. We should be thankful we have the best police force in the world. Is there corruption? I'm sure! Is it still the best police force ever and better than any other country? By a mile.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

^ Seriously this. The solution should NOT be, roam free and do whatever you want because F the Cops.

Instead, political, social, racial leaders should stand up and say; "we need to be policing our own communities and striving for the best. Commit fewer crimes and comply when we do".

Let's say that blacks are more likely to be abused by cops, sure, then just lay down and comply. If they beat you up more than they should, take them to court. Don't let your pride be the death of you; literally.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Sounds like his ex called the cops. He has gotten physical more than once with her. Either way, they need to find better methods of detaining people. I rember in the 2000s there was a push for more non lethal weapons for cops to use. One was some sort of instant harding foam. I'm not sure why they went away from that type of thinking. Detain someone, shooting a guy should be a very last resort

Also, white America doesn't care if a violent white guy gets shot. Most whites figure he had messed up, and its on him. That's the diffrence in culture.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

To be honest, the protesters, for the most part, see only a person of color being detained, wounded, or killed, by law enforcement personnel.

It does not matter if the person of interest is armed, threatening the officers or the public, has a violent criminal history, or other mitigating circumstances, such as resisting arrest, or attempting to flee. What the public sees is not dependent on what the training of the officers, or information they may have leads them to believe while dealing with individual involved.

Should or could some of these instances have been avoidable?

Of course they could.

Deciding to trash an entire community based on limited information is ridiculous, especially when it is driven by a social media narrative that is likely heavily biased one way or another.

Are cops, or anyone on this planet irreproachable? Of course not.

We need to do a better job communicating and working together toward a solution that is suitable for all of us.

What is happening on the streets of our cities right now is doing no more to "bring us together" than the anti-Trump riots did 3 1/2 years ago.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »