Top 5 Players at each Position

Moderators: UOducksTK1, Zyme, lukeyrid13, Oregon Ownage

Foxyg1396
Five Star Recruit
GM: Denver Nuggets

Top 5 Players at each Position

Post by Foxyg1396 »

Disclaimer
I will be judging players based on the position they have on roster, not those that are playing out of position based on DC. I am only looking at statistics and age, not contract.

Center:
1. Moses Malone - This seems pretty self-explanatory. Moses has an incredible resume, from being the scoring champ every single year since the league commissioned, to being a top 5 rebounder year in and year out. Moses has been the MVP every single season since joining the league. He finally added a ring to his already massively impressive resume. Moses is the absolute GOAT in 2.0.

2. Hakeem Olajuwon - Hakeem is absolutely ridiculous considering his age, he's already winning player of the month awards, and finished last year with an 2nd All-League at the Center Position. He did this in his third year.... He has already shown his ability to score in the paint, and he is an absolute monster defensively averaging almost 4 blocks a game. I see him winning defensive player of the year in the near future.

3. Joe Barry Carroll - Carroll is an incredible scorer inside, and is one of the best defensive players in the game. He is in the top 5 of both rebounds and blocks, while not even being in the top 10 for fouls. He is an extremely efficient defender and an efficient scorer. He has shown time and time again that he is one of the scariest centers to play against both defensively and offensively.

4. Sam Bowie - 4 and 5 of the centers are pretty interchangeable. Bowie may not be the best defensive center in the game, but he averages 1.3 blocks and 1.0 steals. His value comes entirely from his offensive and rebounding capabilities. He is top 5 in scoring among centers, and currently leads the league in rebounding at the incredible rate of 12.5 rebounds a game.

5. Jack Sikma - Sikma doesn't rebound as well as Bowie and both are about the same as far as scoring, but Sikma is a bit better defensively averaging 1.5 blocks and 1.6 steals a game. Sikma is a familiar face at the all-star game and has shown his ability to score extremely well. The main reason I have Bowie about Sikma is the rebounding and his age. Sikma is on a downward track whereas Bowie hasn't reached his peak and is improving every year.

Power Forward:
1. Kevin McHale - McHale is the only power forward topping 20 points, he is good defensively and a good rebounder. He has been in and out of the all star game and All-League players. McHale hasn't reached his plateau for scoring yet and continues to improve. He has been a good option for just about every team he has played for, he is also a player who has been on 4 different teams in the last 4 years.

2. Charles Barkley - Barkley has continued improving in just about every category each year he has been in the league. He has quickly become a defensive anchor for the Nuggets and has been a top rebounder for the last two years, despite only being 6'6". His rebounding sets him apart from most other power forwards in the game and was an All-defensive player and All-League player last year. He will likely have a few DPOTY awards before his career is over.

3. Bill Garnett - Bill Garnett is averaging the second most points per game in the power forward conversation. He has completely exploded in scoring with his additional minutes, he has increased his scoring output by almost 9 points. He has also increased almost every other statistic. He's only 26 years old so he will likely continue to improve. The Clippers made a good move by giving him more minutes.

4. Steve Johnson - Johnson gets the edge over the last power forward because of his difference on defense. Johnson is close to rivalling Barkley with his defensive capability, the reason Barkley and Garnett get the edge over Johnson is because 1, Barkley is a much better rebounder and 2, Garnett is a better scorer. Johnson has made a huge difference for the cavs with his offense and defense. He has a wide variety of awards in terms of all star appearances and All-NBA performances.

5. David Greenwood - Greenwood scores close to the same amount as everyone else on this list, he is #5 because everyone else has an edge in one category or another. He is good on defense and makes a huge difference on the score board. Between him and Reeves, they completely carry the Hornets offense. He also shoots 76% from the stripe, which seems to be decent for someone who spends his time at the front court. He has been on the Hornets roster since the league started but rumors are saying they are looking to move him.

Small Forward:
1. Oscar Schmidt - Oscar Schmidt has dragged the kings to the playoffs almost by himself. He is consistently a top scorer when he is a top option, and he is a good rebounder for a small forward. He is currently fighting Moses for the spot of top scorer. He was the best small forward last year achieving his first 1st team All-League. He also gets it done on the defensive end averaging 2.3 steals a game. When the Kings need him to step up he takes the load in stride and achieves brilliance.

2. Larry Bird - This guy was involved with one of the oddest championship runs the league has seen. He got his ring... Without playing a single minute. Since moving to Miami he has been a regular at all star games and All-NBA performances. Bird is living up to the "Larry Legend" Hype, he has been able to perform in the playoffs quite a few times, and gets consistently good numbers. He is one of the best scoring options in the league and he shoots a scorching percentage from the free throw line. He also racks up quite a few boards year after year always being a double double threat.

3. Clark Kellogg - Since coming into the league, Kellogg has been an incredible contributor on the Knicks. He won rookie of the year, and hasn't looked back yet. His numbers are a little down over the years, but he remains one of the best defensive small forwards in the game. He is averaging close to a double double a game while adding 1.5 steals and almost a block a game. He is a vital part of the Knicks, both offensively and defensively.

4. Kenny Carr - This man is almost always a double double threat, averaging nearly 20 points a game to go along with his 8.8 rebounds. He gets it done defensively too adding 1.3 steals a game. When Carr has a good night, quite a few teams will get burned. He's been out of the conversation for all star and All-league recently but that hasn't stopped him from giving it all he's got.

5. Bernard King - King seems to have found his team with the Suns. He is and extremely good number one option for them, ranking 9th in points per game and 2nd among SF. He is this far down the list because he hasn't shown that he can score like this year to year. He also rebounds at the least highest rate compared to the rest of the small forwards on this list. Being 30 we will see if he can keep it up for much longer.

Shooting Guard
1. Darrell Griffith - Griffith has been one of the most electrifying shooting guards the game has ever seen. He is one of the best all around players in the league. He gets assists, rebounds and steals, not to mention his unbelievable scoring ability. He has helped the Lakers to the finals the last few years, and no doubt he has come up huge from them late into the season.

2. Trent Tucker - Tucker has been absolutely scorching from the three point line and his scoring shows it. He is currently ranked 4th in scoring and is shooting a decent percentage of 39% from three. He also is a good rebounder and a decent passer, Tucker has fit right into the Hawks offense and the direction they are planning on taking their team this season

3. Byron Scott - The Celtics really needed someone big to step up after trading their entire life savings in picks during the off season, and Scott has taken a huge weight on his shoulders for that. He is one of the best scoring guards in the game right now, averaging 22.6 a game and that is a huge relief to the Celtics GM.

4. Roberto Brunamonti - If anyone needs a 3 point shooting guard, this is your man. He shoots 43% from the three point line and averages 23.3 points a game. He is also shooting that very high percentage while taking the 2nd most threes a game. This man can shoot teams out of the building and it's exactly what the Jazz GM was hoping for in his play.

5. Adrian Dantley - If there were one word to describe Adrian over his career, it would be consistent. Dantley has been top 10 in scoring every year since the league started and he shoots extremely good percentages for a shooting guard. He is averaging a career high percentage from the free throw line and can always be counted on to come down with boards.

Point Guard
1. Magic Johnson - The Pistons GM is extremely happy with the performances that Magic has given over the course of his career. He is one of the few players that can play just about any position and not get completely dominated in the front court. He is averaging almost career highs in points and assists. He is also one of the most active defenders on the court getting steal after steal.

2. Isiah Thomas - With a team stacked with double digit scoring Thomas still finds a way to score. He is also one of the best passers in the game without a ton of TO having a ratio of more than 2:1. He is shooting nearly 44% from 3 and gets it done defensively too, racking up 2.5 steals a game. He will be up on yet another all star team and All-League team this year.

3. Juan Antonio Corbalán - This is guy is one of, if not, the best shooter in the league from range. He shoots an astounding 48% from three and is the best scoring point guard in the league right now. He is the ultimate scoring point guard but, his assist numbers may not be what some GMs want in their 1 postition. The Bucks are extremely happy to have this guy leading their team out of the tunnel.

4. Leon Wood - Wood has shown that Jordan, Hakeem, and Barkley weren't the only notable players picked in the '84 draft. He is currently ranked third in assists per game and still manages to score a good amount averaging 16.1 points a game. He's got a lot of room for improvement and a lot of time to move further up this list, but his contributions to his team make him an extremely talented point guard.

5. Kelvin Ransey - Ransey is much like Wood in that he can score a little and he's a good passer, but his scoring is down from a few years ago. His percentages just keep going up and he still has some time before he's expected to start that downward slope completely. Let's hope that the Raptors can get a few more years out of him.
Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Re: Top 5 Players at each Position

Post by Oregon Ownage »

The disrespect towards Mitchell and Lever continues
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I’d have Tucker lower. He’s a volume scorer and doesn’t have the defense the other guys do
Foxyg1396
Five Star Recruit

Post by Foxyg1396 »

Oregon Ownage wrote:The disrespect towards Mitchell and Lever continues
Lever was extremely close to making it onto the list.
Foxyg1396
Five Star Recruit

Post by Foxyg1396 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:I’d have Tucker lower. He’s a volume scorer and doesn’t have the defense I’m the other guys do
i should have taken that into account when I was doing the list. I'll keep that in mind for my next ones.
vincent1469
Five Star Recruit
GM: Seattle Supersonics

Post by vincent1469 »

I think you valued the stats of the top contributors of tanking teams a bit too much.
Foxyg1396
Five Star Recruit

Post by Foxyg1396 »

vincent1469 wrote:I think you valued the stats of the top contributors of tanking teams a bit too much.
Again, per the disclaimer I was going straight stats. They have shown that they can perform at that position. I mean Moses doesn't have a whole lot around him yet he has done what he has done
Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Post by Oregon Ownage »

Foxyg1396 wrote:Small Forward:

3. Clark Kellogg - Since coming into the league, Kellogg has been an incredible contributor on the Knicks. He won rookie of the year, and hasn't looked back yet. His numbers are a little down over the years, but he remains one of the best defensive small forwards in the game. He is averaging close to a double double a game while adding 1.5 steals and almost a block a game. He is a vital part of the Knicks, both offensively and defensively.

4. Kenny Carr - This man is almost always a double double threat, averaging nearly 20 points a game to go along with his 8.8 rebounds. He gets it done defensively too adding 1.3 steals a game. When Carr has a good night, quite a few teams will get burned. He's been out of the conversation for all star and All-league recently but that hasn't stopped him from giving it all he's got.
IMO they should be judged as PF's as they are playing down a position
jibbajabba614
Senior
GM: Milwaukee Bucks GM

Post by jibbajabba614 »

vincent1469 wrote:I think you valued the stats of the top contributors of tanking teams a bit too much.
Yeah but he did say he was going by stats. Statistics wise Corbalan is playing like a top guard, but his turnovers are nasty reason I’ve been trying him at SG. Fun experiment.

But yeah, he definitely ain’t behind Magic and IT
the goat
Freshman
GM: Los Angeles Lakers

Post by the goat »

I think only looking at stats really undersells great players on better teams (coughLarrySmithcoughDominiqueWilkinscough)

Like I'll stan for Bill Garnett all day but there's no way he's the 3rd guy on that list
Lakers GM
offtheheezy
Senior
GM: Vancouver Grizzlies

Post by offtheheezy »

I think a little bit high of a weighting on the points per game category, think some of the defensive studs go underrated. Would rank Barkley above McHale especially with McHale's regression in blocks for example.
Foxyg1396
Five Star Recruit

Post by Foxyg1396 »

offtheheezy wrote:I think a little bit high of a weighting on the points per game category, think some of the defensive studs go underrated. Would rank Barkley above McHale especially with McHale's regression in blocks for example.
The ONLY reason I didn’t put Barkley at number one was trying not to play favorites
Craig
Senior
GM: Phoenix Suns GM

Post by Craig »

Yeah. Gotta take into account Defense, Shooting %'s, Turnovers too. PPG isn't the whole story. At first glance, I wouldn't have Garnett or Corbalán anywhere near the top 5. Though admittedly PF is scarce if you're just going on listed position, as a lot of good PF's are listed at C (or SF).
SUNS GM
Foxyg1396
Five Star Recruit

Post by Foxyg1396 »

Craig wrote:Yeah. Gotta take into account Defense, Shooting %'s, Turnovers too. PPG isn't the whole story. At first glance, I wouldn't have Garnett or Corbalán anywhere near the top 5. Though admittedly PF is scarce if you're just going on listed position, as a lot of good PF's are listed at C (or SF).
Corbalán is one of the best shooters in the league, he’s top 5 in 3 percentage and 3s taken. 48% from 3 is ludicrous
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

What stats were you looking at?

Corbalan's lack of assists and high turnovers is enough to leave him off

Byron Scott is the least efficient SG on the list. I would have Brunamonti and Dantley ahead of him.

Sampson > Sikma

Tom Chambers > Bill Garnett or Bernard King