Rankings

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

MFRDuckFan
Senior

Re: Rankings

Post by MFRDuckFan »

Pontius wrote:
MFRDuckFan wrote: IN ORDER FOR THE DUCKS TO CHANGE THEIR OWN REALITY, THEY MUST WIN.

They do win. What are you missing?
You're completely missing the point. The Ducks must be perfect & stellar in order to get noticed. A perfect example is Cincinnati. You can't get on the radar if you lose even only 2 games. It stinks, but that's the way it is right now.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Pontius wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:
Pontius wrote:
You don't see the big picture, do you?

It happens this week. It happens next week. It happens next year. It happens the year afterward.

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer and the idiots blame the poor. Same head in the sand mentality.
Cool. And bitching on a small internet message board is really gonna remove bias in national polls, isn't it? Why not just focus on our team and our season, and worry about hypothetically getting screwed in the polls next year (IF it happens)?

And just to let you know guys, this is how polls work. When a team loses, they drop hard in the next week, then slowly recover to where they deserve to be. That's why they say it's better to lost at the beginning of the year. I guarantee that a lot of Duck fans think this way when it suits them (team x lost to mediocre team y and they only fell four spots??!!). We dropped eight spots after losing to an unranked team... It's really not that unreasonable, and even if it is, IT DOESN'T MATTER.
I love how you criticize me for stating my opinion when it's you who first pontificated in this thread. Did I ever say that what I say makes a difference? Of course not. Thanks for projecting that much.

Yeah, good point about LSU not dropping at all after a loss. Oh, they should be the exception because they play in the SEC, right?

Your head is still in the sand you are just making excuses for a flawed system. May in life you see it from the bottom up. Only then will you understand.

I didn't criticize you. Stop being so sensitive. I said don't worry about polls. Also, how in the hell am I projecting?

LSU lost to the third ranked team in the country. We lost to an unranked team. We also looked worse than they did (in my opinion anyways). And they did kind of drop, seeing as how they remained at #9 even though two teams in front of them lost. Maybe they should've fallen a little farther, but their loss is way more understandable than ours.

I'm not saying the system is perfect. I've bitched about the polls plenty of times because they often are pretty unfair. But to expect us to only drop a couple spots (which is what you're saying by saying that we should be ahead of #10 USC) is ridiculous.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

It is pretty silly how far ahead tOSU and USC are in front of us. But whatever, can't do anything about it, but win out...

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Win out, then beat the snot out of tOSU on the field...
Last edited by woundedknees on Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

Pontius wrote:
gofightingducks wrote:
MFRDuckFan wrote:If you're USC, you have proven your worth over the years because you win. Not saying it's right, but they have the history that gives them the edge. If Oregon is ever to be considered in the national discussion we must win, win, win. It will have to be a perfect storm to make that happen. We have one of the toughest conferences, but we have to win.

I completely agree. Oregon had their opportunity to move up and be considered a national contender and they were embarrassed. USC has dominated over the years and until Oregon can do the same they will not be looked at as a great team just a good team.

Another person who doesn't get it. The illusion is strong in this one.
That's weak. You are the one who doesn't get it. Winning cures all. Everything else is sour grapes.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

I gotta agree with Pontius on this one. There's no reason we should drop that far below SC. NONE. Yeah, winning a couple National titles would cure that but IT SHOULDN"T HAVE TO. Are we the better team or not? Obviously we are a much better team then SC. The bias in the media is sickening & complete BS.

The same hypocrites who said they would NEVER move BSu ahead of us because of the head to head, jumped USC 5 freaking spots ahead of us. A week after we DOMINATED them. And it's not like SC looked anything even close to a top ten team last night, they barely beat a bad ASU team. They were dying for a chance to drop the Ducks & move SC ahead of us, & back into the top 10.
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:I gotta agree with Pontius on this one. There's no reason we should drop that far below SC. NONE. Yeah, winning a couple National titles would cure that but IT SHOULDN"T HAVE TO. Are we the better team or not? Obviously we are a much better team then SC. The bias in the media is sickening & complete BS.

The same hypocrites who said they would NEVER move BSu ahead of us because of the head to head, jumped USC 5 freaking spots ahead of us. A week after we DOMINATED them. And it's not like SC looked anything even close to a top ten team last night, they barely beat a bad ASU team. They were dying for a chance to drop the Ducks & move SC ahead of us, & back into the top 10.
You are correct with your post. But we lost to an unranked. That's what cost us so far.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

It will on;lly matter at the end of the season, after the Ducks play in whatever Bowl game they acheive, and only then because that will affect how they are ranked to begin next year.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Pontius
Three Star Recruit

Post by Pontius »

MFRDuckFan wrote: You are correct with your post. But we lost to an unranked. That's what cost us so far.

What cost did USC incur for losing to UW which was unranked and not close to the quality of a Stanford? Tell me that's just how it is. Tell me again. But please quit with the justification of it. I consider myself to be a fair person beyond anything else, and no matter what the case, it bothers be to see inequity in any system. But it bothers me more to see someone try to justify it or to gloss over it as if fairness needn't be the basic fundamental of any civilized order of things.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

USC 9th in the BCS, Oregon is 13th. Then again, all that matters at the end of the season is where the ducks finish in the conference standings.
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

Pontius wrote:
MFRDuckFan wrote: You are correct with your post. But we lost to an unranked. That's what cost us so far.

What cost did USC incur for losing to UW which was unranked and not close to the quality of a Stanford? Tell me that's just how it is. Tell me again. But please quit with the justification of it. I consider myself to be a fair person beyond anything else, and no matter what the case, it bothers be to see inequity in any system. But it bothers me more to see someone try to justify it or to gloss over it as if fairness needn't be the basic fundamental of any civilized order of things.
Dude, we all agree that it sucks..........it does no good beating us all up over it! WE CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT!!! What do you want us to do, sit and go over it again and again? Nobody is glossing over it. We hate it just as much as you do, but we have no control over it. I can agree with you until we're both blue in the face, but it changes NOTHING. All you're doing is poking a stick at us that are trying to help you. I'm done.
oregon
Three Star Recruit

Post by oregon »

duckgrad99 wrote:USC 9th in the BCS, Oregon is 13th. Then again, all that matters at the end of the season is where the ducks finish in the conference standings.
Yep... we are out of the picture for a NC, as remote as it was anyway. We can win the Pac 10 and get Roses and that's everything at this point. I'm as frustrated as anybody else about the idiocity of the polling sytem, but there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING we can do about it on Chat 4 Quacks.

What I can do is show up this Saturday and yell and yell and yell and...
oregon
Three Star Recruit

Post by oregon »

... and yell and yell and yell and yell and yell and yell and yell and yell and yell and yell and yell and yell and yell and yell and yell and yell and yell and yell and yell and yell...

... and YELL-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

I think you've got to care and speak out about the polls when they are wrong, even if they no longer functionally affect what bowl we are looking at.

It's similar to protecting constitutional rights that might not affect you. Some day they might. The time to speak out and fix things is when you realize they are broken. Not on the day that it affects you.

Nobody here is likely a BCS employee. But, it's all part of the public discourse. The more that the consensus turns against the current system, the more likely it is to change.

Change we can believe in! ;)
pikestick
Two Star Recruit

Post by pikestick »

it's true that us posting on a message board in itself does nothing to change the situation, but it's also true that contacting people that make the votes and other media outlets can and does make a difference. We all realize that there is a double standard for teams that have "tradition" vs those that don't. There is no reason to accept that and just say 'well that's the way it is and we can't do anything about it.' UO and other similar teams should not accept being treated as second class by polls - while it doesn't affect the team so much this season since it's still Rose Bowl focused, it's myopic to think that the rankings don't matter. Rankings affect air time, media coverage, and recruits among other things. Stewart Mandel comments about the stupidity of the voting in his Monday morning column today.

Overall, most of the voters (in the AP poll) did vote Oregon over USC, but the voters that voted UO behind USC had a much greater impact on the final polls. There were four voters that ranked UO at least 10 spots behind USC. 10 spots!!! And another 8 that ranked them at least 5 spots back, while most of the vast majority that left UO in front of USC had them only one spot in front (which should have been expected).

http://pollspeak.com/pollstalker/pollst ... =T&o1=diff