Cal @ #8 Oregon (Oct. 15, Fri 7:30 PM ESPN)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: Cal @ #8 Oregon (Oct. 15, Fri 7:30 PM ESPN)

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Duck07 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:I agree Pez, how can the players buy into 1-0 if the coaches don’t?
Simply put, because the plays have been on the field they just haven't been made.

Even the 2nd and 18 play on the final drive of regulation was schemed open, Stanford just called the right blitz and even then, AB almost had the chance to complete the pass for a massive gain.

Mind you, this is also why there has been frustration with AB and calls for TT to start, because AB isn't making the routine play consistently enough.
I don’t disagree at all, Brown was garbage against Stanford and if he did his job Oregon wins by a couple scores. He really hurt the team. I just have realized this consistent theme with the offense playing sloppy and uninspired and it’s been going on since Mario was hired and even happened when we had an amazing QB in Herbert. Makes me believe the theory that Mario is to blame for the offense. But again, if Brown doesn’t “improvise” and if he makes the easy throws Oregon wins but I also believe the coaches should’ve had a more aggressive offensive game plan against Stanford and against inferior teams in general.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

I have a hard time believing there will be any change at QB if Moorhead is still unavailable. Pretty hard to get a new guy ready to go, and create a game plan for him without the OC/QB coach.
EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:I agree Pez, how can the players buy into 1-0 if the coaches don’t?
Simply put, because the plays have been on the field they just haven't been made.

Even the 2nd and 18 play on the final drive of regulation was schemed open, Stanford just called the right blitz and even then, AB almost had the chance to complete the pass for a massive gain.

Mind you, this is also why there has been frustration with AB and calls for TT to start, because AB isn't making the routine play consistently enough.
I don’t disagree at all, Brown was garbage against Stanford and if he did his job Oregon wins by a couple scores. He really hurt the team. I just have realized this consistent theme with the offense playing sloppy and uninspired and it’s been going on since Mario was hired and even happened when we had an amazing QB in Herbert. Makes me believe the theory that Mario is to blame for the offense. But again, if Brown doesn’t “improvise” and if he makes the easy throws Oregon wins but I also believe the coaches should’ve had a more aggressive offensive game plan against Stanford and against inferior teams in general.
We ran for 230 yards, and much of the game without arguably our best RB, so its difficult to say the game plan wasn't working. Verdell had a walk in TD on the last play of the 1st half but AB makes the wrong decision. Again, hard to put that on coaching. They had the right play called the players (one player) just didn't execute. Maybe taking the 3 pts in that situation was really the right call, but that would have been seen as not aggressive.

I'd also say passing on 2nd and 18 at the end of the game was a pretty aggressive call. Once again we didn't execute. Hard to say whether that was a good call or not. I haven't analyzed the clock situation to determine whether running at that point could have burned enough clock to put Stanford in a no-win situation. I would say it was an aggressive call to end the game right then and there.

My point is the game plan was working fine we just didn't take advantage of a couple scoring opportunities and there were of course some really bad penalties called.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I’m not saying the coaches didn’t have some good calls and Brown was blameless, I just feel that the offensive game plan could be more aggressive out of the gate and for the entire 4 quarter period, especially since it’s been a consistent theme under Mario. Those were great playcalls that Brown really screwed up and if Brown made the right and easy play Oregon is 5-0 right now, but in general, I feel that under Mario when it comes to games against inferior opponents the offense is too vanilla and it’s focused more on not making mistakes rather than being aggressive. Yes those were awful game losing plays by Brown but if the offense was a little more aggressive in the first half maybe those plays don’t have as big of an impact on the game. Or maybe you’re right and Brown screwed the game up but that also has to somewhat be on the coaches for letting a liability at the most important position play all game long.
EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

I hear you O4L, we all want to see the long ball to JJIII or Pitman or {insert name here} but if you're a coach you go with what's working and the running game was working. Let's not forget the horrible INT that AB threw in the first half. If you're a coach and you see that, then see 4+ YPC in the running game, I think you kind of have to stay with what's getting you down the field. I'm not saying abandon the pass game all together because I love the swing pass out to Verdell or short throws to our speed guys (Redd, McGee) in space s much as anyone. And at this point I'm firmly in the abandon AB and move to TT/JB and let's see what they have. If neither shows they're the guy for the future I'd like to know that now so coaches know they need to keep looking for QB1 for next year
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

EncinitasDuck wrote:I hear you O4L, we all want to see the long ball to JJIII or Pitman or {insert name here} but if you're a coach you go with what's working and the running game was working. Let's not forget the horrible INT that AB threw in the first half. If you're a coach and you see that, then see 4+ YPC in the running game, I think you kind of have to stay with what's getting you down the field. I'm not saying abandon the pass game all together because I love the swing pass out to Verdell or short throws to our speed guys (Redd, McGee) in space s much as anyone. And at this point I'm firmly in the abandon AB and move to TT/JB and let's see what they have. If neither shows they're the guy for the future I'd like to know that now so coaches know they need to keep looking for QB1 for next year
I agree 100%, it really can’t get much worse than Brown at this point and if TT or Butterfield is the guy for the future I certainly don’t want their first start to be at Georgia next season. Granted Georgia is losing like their entire front seven but it’s still Georgia, they’ll reload a lot and they always have a scary defense. I also at this point think it’s time to sit Brown. I’ve said it before, the long-term benefits of starting Ty greatly outweigh the short term risks.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

Verdell plays so hard and it is awful that his season is finished.
Yes let us move on from Brown even if we have more losses. Get the new guys experience. Brown has been at this for six years. He like hit his ceiling two years ago.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
EncinitasDuck wrote:I hear you O4L, we all want to see the long ball to JJIII or Pitman or {insert name here} but if you're a coach you go with what's working and the running game was working. Let's not forget the horrible INT that AB threw in the first half. If you're a coach and you see that, then see 4+ YPC in the running game, I think you kind of have to stay with what's getting you down the field. I'm not saying abandon the pass game all together because I love the swing pass out to Verdell or short throws to our speed guys (Redd, McGee) in space s much as anyone. And at this point I'm firmly in the abandon AB and move to TT/JB and let's see what they have. If neither shows they're the guy for the future I'd like to know that now so coaches know they need to keep looking for QB1 for next year
I agree 100%, it really can’t get much worse than Brown at this point and if TT or Butterfield is the guy for the future I certainly don’t want their first start to be at Georgia next season. Granted Georgia is losing like their entire front seven but it’s still Georgia, they’ll reload a lot and they always have a scary defense. I also at this point think it’s time to sit Brown. I’ve said it before, the long-term benefits of starting Ty greatly outweigh the short term risks.
It can get a lot worse than AB. Saw a ranking all all FBS quarterbacks that had him 46th of 130.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

StevensTechU wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
It can get a lot worse than AB. Saw a ranking all all FBS quarterbacks that had him 46th of 130.
Depends on which AB shows up, it can be a lot worse than the one that showed up against tOSU but hard to imagine it getting much worse than the one that showed up against Stanford.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I don't think a C grade is good enough at this point to justify keeping TT on the bench.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

OregonFan4Life wrote: Depends on which AB shows up, it can be a lot worse than the one that showed up against tOSU but hard to imagine it getting much worse than the one that showed up against Stanford.

I immediately went to thinking about the Arizona QB throwing 5 INTs against Oregon.

I'm going to say something that I might regret because I don't know that it's going to make anyone feel all that great....

I think if Thompson (or Butters, or Ashford) was better than AB, or on par, they would play them. I think Butters has a good arm but next to no mobility, Ashford's consistency in the passing game probably makes AB look like Justin Herbert, and Thompson was an overrated recruit because of how muscle-bound he is. While Thompson doesn't have Butterfields' arm or Ashford's speed, he has a bit of both so the whole playbook is open with him in the backfield, which is probably why he's QB2. But in reality, I think if Thompson was anything like freshman Herbert or Lawrence or whatever you think of when you think of a 5* quality quarterback, he'd probably be getting reps. Everyone wants AB benched because they assume there's something better on the sidelines, but I'm not convinced that's the case. And yes, it does get worse than a QB who is 4-1 as a starter which includes a W in the Shoe.

Like everyone else, I thought Brown's performance against Stanford was crap. I'm just taking a step back here. In my opinion, people are vastly overrating because they are seeing only his recruiting rating and aren't bothering to watch his high school tape or even look up his stat lines from college or high school.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

StevensTechU wrote:
punizhr02 wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:Only way it's close, IMO, is if Garbers gets out of the pocket and our depleted linebackers/nickel can't limit his rushing gains. Otherwise, I think Oregon gets back on track and wins by 3 scores.
I think that depends on who Oregon starts at quarterback.
Probably right. If Oregon starts someone brand new, it could be close.
Like the Stony Brook game? Oh wait that game was only close when Brown was playing.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

StevensTechU wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote: Depends on which AB shows up, it can be a lot worse than the one that showed up against tOSU but hard to imagine it getting much worse than the one that showed up against Stanford.

I immediately went to thinking about the Arizona QB throwing 5 INTs against Oregon.

I'm going to say something that I might regret because I don't know that it's going to make anyone feel all that great....

I think if Thompson (or Butters, or Ashford) was better than AB, or on par, they would play them. I think Butters has a good arm but next to no mobility, Ashford's consistency in the passing game probably makes AB look like Justin Herbert, and Thompson was an overrated recruit because of how muscle-bound he is. While Thompson doesn't have Butterfields' arm or Ashford's speed, he has a bit of both so the whole playbook is open with him in the backfield, which is probably why he's QB2. But in reality, I think if Thompson was anything like freshman Herbert or Lawrence or whatever you think of when you think of a 5* quality quarterback, he'd probably be getting reps. Everyone wants AB benched because they assume there's something better on the sidelines, but I'm not convinced that's the case. And yes, it does get worse than a QB who is 4-1 as a starter which includes a W in the Shoe.

Like everyone else, I thought Brown's performance against Stanford was crap. I'm just taking a step back here. In my opinion, people are vastly overrating because they are seeing only his recruiting rating and aren't bothering to watch his high school tape or even look up his stat lines from college or high school.
Nah you aren't taking a step back you just can't admit the obvious. I'm going to repeat what Stephen A Smith once said about Tebow because it's exactly how I feel about Brown. I like the guy, he is a solid leader but THE GUY CAN'T THROW and if he threw a baseball against Thompson and Butterfield he would lose the baseball throwing contest. True Freshman rarely start so this whole season was about buying time so that when Thompson got playing time he wouldn't be thrown to the wolves.

LOOK AT THE STONY BROOK GAME!!!! Brown played great against Stanford compared to his game against Stony Brook. When he is having problems completing passes against Stony Brook then I'm sorry but there are better guys on the bench. Even the Ohio State game was slow and steady not the type of offense Oregon is known for.

Listen, I wanted to defend Brown after the Stanford game because he did as well as he could do and the refs screwed him badly. However to pretend like Oregon's offense wouldn't be more explosive with Ty Thompson is just lying. Sure Ty might get more turnovers but you didn't even argue that you are trying to pretend they have similar arm talent and they don't. It's like comparing Vernon Adams arm to Lockie.
Last edited by duck023 on Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.