Cal @ #8 Oregon (Oct. 15, Fri 7:30 PM ESPN)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

woundedknees
All-American

Re: Cal @ #8 Oregon (Oct. 15, Fri 7:30 PM ESPN)

Post by woundedknees »

Wouldn't it be interesting if TT developed the gamesmanship and accuracy of Adams?

That would send chills up your spine!
Last edited by woundedknees on Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

woundedknees wrote:Wouldn't it be interesting if TT developed the gamesmanship andaccuracy of Adams?

I'll be honest, I was worried that Oregon fans were hyping him up to much before he even got a chance to play but the Stony Brook game showed me a lot. Although I love Mariota for as great as Mariota was he was very awkward especially in his first couple of years. That is why Ty reminds me more of a tall Vernon Adams. He seems to be very poised and confident with the ball just like Vernon Adams. I'd argue he played with more confidence against Stony Brook than Brown did.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

woundedknees wrote:Wouldn't it be interesting if TT developed the gamesmanship andaccuracy of Adams?

I would book my hotel for next year's CFP, because the rest of the team should be stout.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

StevensTechU wrote:

I would book my hotel for next year's CFP, because the rest of the team should be stout.
I will say not everything you say is wrong though because Brown similar to Tebow on Denver and does get W's. I'm still rooting for the best for Brown. However with Ty running the offense I think Oregon Points Per Game goes up 20 points. Although time of possession and turnover rate might not be as good.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

I'm pretty sick of Brown would love to see the other qbs play more, but we know what Brown's ceiling and floor are. There's still a possibility we win the pac12 with Brown. But once we're out of the running for the North, we should definitely change out Brown and give the young QBs game time starting experience.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

I wanted AB pulled during the Furd game but STU makes a really good case. I think the reality is our QB situation just isn’t great, and as frustrating as our inept passing game was against Furd, STU is right in that it can actually get worse. A lot worse.

At the end of that game we were still in a position to win (99.9% chance according to ESPN’s win probability), and as long as AB is at least allowing us to be in a winning position at the end of games he’s going to be the guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Bottom line, like STU alluded to, is the Ducks are still in the mix with AB at QB, with all the warts. You have to roll with what the coaches feel is the best chance to win now. At this point, they aren’t looking to next season. They want to win NOW. They know better than all of us armchair coaches, who gives them the best shot. The Ducks have some serious veteran coordinators. None of us see practice reps, and immaturity. No point of the possibility of tanking the season with a youngster (really, unproven) unless they lose another game or two.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

It better be a 3 score or more win after the STB fiasco on the farm. If we lose or eek by the poll I just voted in could have a decidedly different slant than right now. Time for Mario to start figuring things out...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
OfaFeather
Two Star Recruit

Post by OfaFeather »

While reading the practice report that stated that Bullseye Brown is getting the starting reps and Mastro is going to be calling the plays, it is clear it will be a frustrating game. That coupled with watching a decent, but sub-standard, ASU team manhandle Stanford tonight shows me that this team is in trouble if Bullseye remains the starter. He has no in-game long ball capabilities. That was evident in the Fresno St, Stony and AZ game. Couple that with his unflinching selfishness in almost all of the aforementioned games and you have a recipe for trouble. If you want the Ducks to play as individuals and hope their own single talents win the game, then keep Bullseye in. But if you want the team to leverage their collective talents and actually play as a team, you gotta bench Bullseye until he learns how to play as part of a team. Not a 6th year senior trying to raise his draft stock.
OfaFeather
Two Star Recruit

Post by OfaFeather »

It’s sad when Cristobal states that Bullseye Brown “does enough” to be the starter. Not “he shines”, “he is killing it”, or “he is in command”. Just that he is just good enough. Like one poster stated, a “C” grade which is the equivalent of doing enough is not what you keep a player at starter for. 6 years and Bullseye is the best that he can be, but TT, or Butters or Ash still have room to grow. When you don’t develop them in favor of a retread that continues to do “just enough”, that does not sound right. It sounds par for the course for a coaching staff if they are not developing players, but not for a coaching staff that wants to be in contention for a national championship. It sounds like a coaching staff that just just wants to do enough.
OrTDuck
Two Star Recruit

Post by OrTDuck »

At this point, one has to start to wonder if this offense, and this offensive staff, are going to produce QB passing stats that are ever going to really wow anyone any time in the meaningful future.

I think this is JM's sixth year at the P5 level and Mario's 10th as a HC (FIU and UO) and I think Tyler Shough's 2020 season is the highest rated passing efficiency rating either have produced (160.2). In 6 years at FIU, the team only had a starting QB with a PE rating over 133 once (140.5 in 2012).

Where was Herbert? 144.6 in 2018 and 156.8 in 2019. Oregon State has had to throw Nolan in there and where is he this year? 174.6.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

OrTDuck wrote:At this point, one has to start to wonder if this offense, and this offensive staff, are going to produce QB passing stats that are ever going to really wow anyone any time in the meaningful future.

I think this is JM's sixth year at the P5 level and Mario's 10th as a HC (FIU and UO) and I think Tyler Shough's 2020 season is the highest rated passing efficiency rating either have produced (160.2). In 6 years at FIU, the team only had a starting QB with a PE rating over 133 once (140.5 in 2012).

Where was Herbert? 144.6 in 2018 and 156.8 in 2019. Oregon State has had to throw Nolan in there and where is he this year? 174.6.
I’ve been wondering about this myself. Other than Herbert our QBs have all gotten worse the more they played under this staff. And even Herbert had significant stretches of regression and struggle, he just had so much ability he was able to overpower whatever coaching deficiencies there were.

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I don’t think anyone on the offensive coaching staff really understands the passing game and how crucial it is in today’s football, including Moorehead. Mario’s two finalists to replay Arroyo were Moorehead and Will Hall, two run first guys who rarely want a vertical passing attack, and that’s no coincidence. I think Mario could really benefit from a legit passing game coordinator and QB coach. I don’t really see Moorehead as a true QB coach since he’s a run first guy and I don’t see McClendon as a legit passing game coordinator cause he’s a WR coach and that’s more of a QB coach thing.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

OfaFeather wrote:
It’s sad when Cristobal states that Bullseye Brown “does enough” to be the starter. Not “he shines”, “he is killing it”, or “he is in command”. Just that he is just good enough. Like one poster stated, a “C” grade which is the equivalent of doing enough is not what you keep a player at starter for. 6 years and Bullseye is the best that he can be, but TT, or Butters or Ash still have room to grow. When you don’t develop them in favor of a retread that continues to do “just enough”, that does not sound right. It sounds par for the course for a coaching staff if they are not developing players, but not for a coaching staff that wants to be in contention for a national championship. It sounds like a coaching staff that just just wants to do enough.
Maybe you could try using his real name instead of resorting to this sort of thing. Most people here appreciate points being made whether good or bad in a thoughtful and insightful manner as opposed to name calling to express your displeasure.