Cal @ #8 Oregon (Oct. 15, Fri 7:30 PM ESPN)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: Cal @ #8 Oregon (Oct. 15, Fri 7:30 PM ESPN)

Post by Duck07 »

Moorhead will be back for Cal according to Bruce Feldman
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Duck07 wrote:Moorhead will be back for Cal according to Bruce Feldman
Yogi Roth reported the same last night, he may have gotten it from Fieldman’s report. Although Yogi also said he felt a OC is responsible for maybe three critical game decisions per game. Strongly disagree, Moorhead sounds like he was a last second loss for the Stanford game, IMO that was a killer for the Ducks, lots of adjustments to make without prep
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

Alan wrote:
Yogi Roth reported the same last night, he may have gotten it from Fieldman’s report. Although Yogi also said he felt a OC is responsible for maybe three critical game decisions per game. Strongly disagree, Moorhead sounds like he was a last second loss for the Stanford game, IMO that was a killer for the Ducks, lots of adjustments to make without prep
Totally agree about the impact of JM. Not saying him being there would have fixed everything with AB but might have made a difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OfaFeather
Two Star Recruit

Post by OfaFeather »

lmduck wrote:
Alan wrote:
Totally agree about the impact of JM. Not saying him being there would have fixed everything with AB but might have made a difference
I don’t know how much of an impact is needed against a team like Cal, but the telling piece is going to be the game against UCLA in two weeks. Personally, I think Moorhead does well against Big10 style defenses, but so far anything outside of that, the game planning doesn’t seem like they have prepared for the other teams style of play, or it just looks uninspired. Maybe it was the medical issue that was taking a toll on him and now that it is “cured” there will be different energy, but against everyone except tOSU, the offense has looked confused for good portions of the game.

Ducks should handily beat Cal, but UCLA in Pasadena will be a real challenge.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

Unrelated but I still think this team has a lot of talent, they beat Ohio State who has been playing pretty well recently, it's a quality win for us, but going back to this, I hope we can play well against Cal.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

OfaFeather wrote:I saw some folks get upset about nicknames, sorry if that offended anyone. 6 years spent in combats units in and out of the Middle East and we used to nickname everyone, hard habit to break but I will keep it check.
Thank you for your service sir! I spent 20 years in the oil fields all over the US and everyone had a nickname there as well. :lol:
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

OfaFeather wrote: I don’t know how much of an impact is needed against a team like Cal, but the telling piece is going to be the game against UCLA in two weeks. Personally, I think Moorhead does well against Big10 style defenses, but so far anything outside of that, the game planning doesn’t seem like they have prepared for the other teams style of play, or it just looks uninspired. Maybe it was the medical issue that was taking a toll on him and now that it is “cured” there will be different energy, but against everyone except tOSU, the offense has looked confused for good portions of the game.

Ducks should handily beat Cal, but UCLA in Pasadena will be a real challenge.
I don't think you've watched enough film of Moorhead if you hold this low opinion of him for his game-planning and play-calling. As a QB coach to develop it remains to be seen, but as an OC he's doing very well.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

OfaFeather
Two Star Recruit

Post by OfaFeather »

Duck07 wrote: I don't think you've watched enough film of Moorhead if you hold this low opinion of him for his game-planning and play-calling. As a QB coach to develop it remains to be seen, but as an OC he's doing very well.
It’s true, I am taking a sample size of only this year, and while I agree that he is much better than Arroyo, I guess I was expecting more. I guess with all the hype that was being lauded about the Penn State offenses that he he built, I was expecting more offensive dominance, the rest of the season will tell. But I have to say that I don’t believe that the Cal game really doesn’t act as an indicator, I think the UCLA game will be far more competitive and we will see a very good offensive play caller in Chip.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

OfaFeather wrote:
Duck07 wrote: I don't think you've watched enough film of Moorhead if you hold this low opinion of him for his game-planning and play-calling. As a QB coach to develop it remains to be seen, but as an OC he's doing very well.
It’s true, I am taking a sample size of only this year, and while I agree that he is much better than Arroyo, I guess I was expecting more. I guess with all the hype that was being lauded about the Penn State offenses that he he built, I was expecting more offensive dominance, the rest of the season will tell. But I have to say that I don’t believe that the Cal game really doesn’t act as an indicator, I think the UCLA game will be far more competitive and we will see a very good offensive play caller in Chip.
Oregon leads the Pac-12 in points per game.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

The Ducks are tied for the lead in the conference in turnovers and among the leaders in the country for net turnovers. In a small sample, points/game can be influenced by a run of turnovers leading to short-field scoring. The Ducks are currently 9th in passing yards per game and 5th in total yards/game in the Pac 12. Probably a more accurate view of how the offense is doing, although there are other factors as well like red zone scoring efficiency that might lead to Oregon scoring more points.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Honestly, the football team is starting to remind me a lot of the EK basketball teams.
- Recruit like crazy and get awesome talent in the door
- Run vanilla schemes with moderate success (MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE!).
- High-level talent is lacking development / coaching to consistently execute at an elite level
- Lose games to teams with marginal talent every year
- In most games talent takes over late, but can never really get over the hump to be truly elite.

I saw a lot of losing when I was in school in the early 90s, so it is hard to complain when you are getting so much talent are are consistently making the conference championship game.
However, it is also difficult knowing that if Oregon could just execute at a level that matches their current talent level, they would probably not drop games to marginal conference teams every year and would be in the playoffs periodically.

Go Ducks! Beat Cal!
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

northbeachsf wrote:Honestly, the football team is starting to remind me a lot of the EK basketball teams.
- High-level talent is lacking development / coaching to consistently execute at an elite level
- In most games talent takes over late, but can never really get over the hump to be truly elite.

I saw a lot of losing when I was in school in the early 90s, so it is hard to complain when you are getting so much talent are are consistently making the conference championship game.
However, it is also difficult knowing that if Oregon could just execute at a level that matches their current talent level, they would probably not drop games to marginal conference teams every year and would be in the playoffs periodically.

Go Ducks! Beat Cal!
I know there is a lot of Debbie Downer atmosphere among us right now but I do want to point out that our Defense under Mario seems to keep getting progressively better and its showing up on the field in spite of all the injuries. Dorlus and Ware-Hudson have been making steady improvements without the benefit of the focus on KT and I think this nasty level of Defense that we keep building is what is ultimately going to win us a NC.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I like Moorhead so far. Our offense is certainly more dynamic than it was under Arroyo and we usually don't disappoint in the red zone. I hate beating a dead horse, but QB play is holding this team back and I think we'll look much better when our QB can chuck the ball downfield with confidence. We're doing what we're doing right now without a legitimate downfield passing attack (and also without an elite RB) and that's actually pretty remarkable.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Duck07 wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:Honestly, the football team is starting to remind me a lot of the EK basketball teams.

Go Ducks! Beat Cal!
I know there is a lot of Debbie Downer atmosphere among us right now but I do want to point out that our Defense under Mario seems to keep getting progressively better and its showing up on the field in spite of all the injuries. Dorlus and Ware-Hudson have been making steady improvements without the benefit of the focus on KT and I think this nasty level of Defense that we keep building is what is ultimately going to win us a NC.
You’re right the defensive players are developing well and Dorlus and Ware-Hudson are great, but if the defense were to win a national championship with a mediocre offense, then they’re gonna need a lot more KT’s. I was really optimistic about the defense doing that when we had back to back classes with the best defensive players in KT, Flowe, and Sewell, but the defense hasn’t been able to keep up that level of recruiting (probably cause Donte Williams left) and the coaches started to miss on those top guys. Losing out on Foreman, JTT, and Ika is going to keep the defense from progressing to that elite level like Georgia has this year. Unless they can find a way to get KT’s again every year, the defense will need the offense to improve for this team to contend for a national championship.